Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Suggestion for Unique Niche Men's Non-Designer scents

So I just realized that my collection is full of designer scents but very few really unique Niche scents. Any suggestions? I'm looking for ones that are very limited / unique. (ideally something that's only available through boutiques & online, not at department stores.)

Scent wise ideally i'd want them to last a long time and have a fair amount of projection. Looking to fill up to 4 slots (or ideally one or two scents) that will evoke the following feelings:

1. Casual Everyday Sexy - devil-may-care cool sexy vibe (i.e. brad pitt / james franco / steve mcqueen)

2. Night-out carefree Fun and playful (think barney stinston / RDJ as tony starks in ironman)

3. Alpha Man - the ultimate man's man swagger but still fun vibe (i.e. bruce willis in die hard)

4. Intimate / mysterious / dark Sexy - Christian Grey Vibe - (antonio banderas / old school marlon brando)

Here are some that I have samples of / I like and are considering:

Intimate & Sexy
    MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    By Kilian Back to Black

Casual Sexy
    Keiko Mecheri - Mulholland
    Creed MI

I have Creed Aventus, which is my favorite scent at the moment since its pretty versatile, but i wonder if theres something even more niche?

Anyhow, would love to get some niche suggestions on for those 4 vibes!

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Suggestion for Unique Niche Men's Non-Designer scents

1. Fumerie Turque
    2. Le Dandy pour Homme
    3. Nicolai New York
    4. Ambre Precieux

Invasion Barbara or tobacco vanille

Sound Scents

1. Lumiere Noir pour Homme by MFK
    2. LiquidNight by A Lab On Fire
    3. M by Puredistance
    4. Padparadscha by Satellite
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Shanaan by Micallef

Many possibilities, eg:

1. CDG2 man (lemony incensy, slightly fresh, avant-garde)

2. A fun patchouli. Eg Montale Patchouli leaves, Artisan Parfumeur Patchouli patch.

3. A big leather. Etat Libre d'Orange Rien (very animalic leather). Or, for something less animalic, Knize Ten (automotive leather).

4. Something smoother and warmer. For instance, Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland (saffron leather), or, if you dare, Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan (dirty musky).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Hello, my friend, cacio!

Happy Holidays to you! I like these suggestions here...very much.

I will add a couple but concur fully with what cacio offers in this thread...

Try Comme des Garcons Vettiveru - under your "Casual Everyday Sexy" when you don't want too much projection as it wears close. Extremely good and will last 6-8+ hours on your skin and actually projects more when you apply it to your chest and let it touch and absorb into your shirt. You will smell it and those who come in close contact with you.

Another scent that I must mention is Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche. Definitely under "Intimate/Mysterious/Dark & Sexy"...

Not too expensive for niche quality - truly a work of art! Perfect for this time of year in the chilly weather.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Many possibilities, eg:

1. CDG2 man (lemony incensy, slightly fresh, avant-garde)

2. A fun patchouli. Eg Montale Patchouli leaves, Artisan Parfumeur Patchouli patch.

3. A big leather. Etat Libre d'Orange Rien (very animalic leather). Or, for something less animalic, Knize Ten (automotive leather).

4. Something smoother and warmer. For instance, Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland (saffron leather), or, if you dare, Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan (dirty musky).

cacio
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Basenotes Plus

Ok Just thought i'd give an update on my finding based on your wonderful suggestions. Went to Scent bar in LA and smelled a whole lot of stuff (including mostly everything that was suggested here) and found some pretty awesome things that fit the bill for the first and last categories =)

1.) Casual Sexy / Devil May Care Vibe
    - Was originally thinking of keiko's mulholland, but decided to go with MFK's Amyris for this. Feels perfect as a chic light scent, but it's got enough personality and sexyness to work as almost any other genre. Theres a nice spike of Amberoux i think admist the clean/freshness that makes it more sexy than mellow. This will probably be on heavy rotation with my aventus as the daily scent.

2.) Night out / Party hard scent (i.e. barney stinson vibe)
    - Didn't quite find this one =T Checked out A lab on fire's liquidnight, which was nice but didn't feel upbeat party enough. As of right now i'm probably going to stick with my aventus + VIW mix for this, or even a heavy spray of Amyris. (Unless you guys have another suggestion i should check out =)

3.) Alpha Man / Bad Ass that knows how to have fun (Bruce willis Die Hard status)
    - Haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Kinze Ten and New York were very very nice, but not quite bad ass enough. They were more of a sophisticated manly man. I'm debating between puredistance M (which is pretty awesome, feels like James Bond. It's just a bit pricy @ $200 for 17mLs.), and Historie de Parfums' Ambrarem. (which smells like power in a bottle, i do like it =). Any other ones you guys would suggest for this category?

4.) Sexy Intimate seductive
    - I Found it!! The people at scent bar recommended me to smell Frapin 1270 which was AMAZING and totally fit the bill. It smells boozy and sexy, soft and intimate with a little bit of spice. Almost like im in a 1920s Jazz bar, with a fedora, being straight Boss status. I did however also like eLdO's dangerous complexity and Bois De Paradis, but i think the 1270 wins out hands down in this category. I'll be rotating this with my Guerlain Bois d'Armenie =)

So yeah, hopefully this helps anyone else look @ these categories, and if you guys have any additional suggestions for vibes 2 & 3 that'd be awesome.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

For James Franco Casual Sexy/ Devil-may-care vibe try:
    Diptyque 34 Boulevard St Germain
    Cartier Roadster
    Histoires de Parfums 1725
    MFK APOM pour Homme
    L'Artisan Safran Troublant

For Barney Stinton's wacky Night Out try:
    By Kilian Straight to Heaven
    Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland
    Michael Korrs Michael for Men
    Bulgari Black

For the Alpha Male- "Yippee-kah-yay!!"
    Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel
    Creed Cuir de Russie
    Ramon Monegal Agar Musk
    Old Spice

Edit: Yes, I'm deliberately ignoring the niche-vs-designer dichotomy.