Code of Conduct

Default Match some aftershaves

Although most aftershaves don't last long, I still try to match cologne, best I can.

What would you match with:

Proraso - never really found a good match for Proraso - I wear Encre Noir mostly
    SCS Sandalwood - Egoiste
    Floid Vigoroso - YSL L'Homme ( I hear Varon Dandy is a good match for Floid? )
    Floid Blue - ???
    Alt Innsbruck - By Kilian Back to Black
    Musgo Real - ???
    Speick - Fades so fast that it really doesn't matter!!

Donimo

Default Re: Match some aftershaves

I might have misunderstood your post but I think most people would wear an aftershave with the same EDT. I often use Cerruti 1881 aftershave and EDT and the same with Gucci Envy and others. If you are talking about layering different scents then I sometimes do this too, usually with disappointing results.

I'd also recommend far more the combination of an EDT with the matching aftershave.

I guess I could have been clearer. I use these aftershaves because they are both cheap and better for the skin than most "designer" aftershaves, at least in my experience. So go ahead and suggest matches or layers!

Donimo

You'll have to wait till someone comes along who has tried those aftershaves.
    Don't hold your breath..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I'd also recommend far more the combination of an EDT with the matching aftershave.
    Same here.

Huh? Haven't ever heard of any of those aftershaves. Is this a European thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Although most aftershaves don't last long, I still try to match cologne, best I can.

Proraso - never really found a good match for Proraso - I wear Encre Noir mostly
    SCS Sandalwood - Egoiste
    Floid Blue - ???
    Musgo Real - ???

Donimo
    With Proraso, I'd use Art Of Shaving Sandalwood, as they both have the eucalyptus note.
    With Speick, I'd use Speik EDT.

But if you find yourself a fragrance neutral aftershave balm that you like, you'll always have matching aftershave and EDT by making your own balm. Just pour some balm into the palm of your hand, spray three squirts of EDT into it, mix with your little finger and apply to face. Made this way, the scent in the balm lasts three or four hours.

My favourite neutral balm is Rexona for Men, as it gives me a matte finish compared to the wet look that some of the other balms give me.

I've heard that others make their own matching aftershave splashes by mixing EDT with witch hazel (which is very good for nicks after wet shaving) but I haven't tried this yet.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Huh? Haven't ever heard of any of those aftershaves. Is this a European thing?
    Well most of them are indeed european, but SCS (Saint Charles Shave) is a US company. There's a strong following of these aftershaves here : BadgerAndBlade.

As mentioned, they are cheap, great for your skin, and smell great, the scents are fleeting.

Donimo

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post

SCS Sandalwood - Egoiste
    Floid Blue - ???
    Musgo Real - ???

Donimo

Well, the most effective aftershave that i've used before was Floid Vigoroso. The smell always stay anytime and anywhere unlike new aftershave for men that only last for an hour.

Domino, I started with an a/s ad, I mean hobby before I got into frags and B&B led me here.
    I never found Proraso strong or lasting enough to worry about a fragrance clashing.
    Same with Speick, although I do have the newest form of Speick edt which pairs nicely.
    I agree Evoiste goes nicely with SCS sandalwood. I think any sandalwood would go nice with this one. I use it with Tiffany, and Carven homme. Also some of my vanilla/ tonka scents work too.
    I never found anything to pair with Musgo. I use it as standalone a/s. Shame their edc's don't even pair well.
    I don't have any Floids.
    Alt Innsbruck is actually an edc so I apply pretty liberally and maybe some to clothes and jusg hope to get 4 hours. I do think Guerlain vetiver works with this because of the fobacco note.

You should try SCS Bulgarian Lavender. Very nice and very versatile with frags. This doesn't hang around too much and settles pretty quickly. Alot of frags have lavender top or middle notes so I don't think it really interferes. Plus its skin scent pretty quickly.
    Hope this helps.