Code of Conduct

Default Has anyone else tried Trophee Lancome?

This is probably the fragrance that I hold dearest that has tons of sentiment and memory tied to it. I've been familiar with it since I was 10 or so (in 1990).

It reminds me of some of the stuff I'm finding now, like Bois du Portugal, which is my current favorite.

Trophee Lancome reminds me of all the different sports that rich people to to see played on fields of perfectly manicured, freshly cut grass. Polo, Horse racing, tennis, all come to mind. It reminds me of a posh country club and "old money". Possibly an even better-fitting fragrance to be named "green irish tweed", if that stirs up any imagery.

has anyone else anything to say about Trophee Lancome? I've never heard it mentioned on BN, so I'm hoping to spark some interest and talk to fellow fans.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 7th October 2006 at 04:04 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Has anyone else tried Trophee Lancome?

I've tried it a few times, but never given it a full day's wearing. To my recollection it is a well made green citrus, very refreshing but with a nice body too. I don't think it has much in common with Bois du Portugal, but I've never put them side by side. Its main downside to me, which is admittedly a shallow one, is the dorky golf theme of the bottle and box. It is still one that sits at the edge of my want list.

It doesn't smell like bdp, but shares some commonality in the style of fragrance to me.

I love the whole golf theme too. It is usually the first bottle people pick up when they walk up to my shelf and start sniffing. The cap and picture are a very 80's cool IMO!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 7th October 2006 at 06:49 PM.
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Used to love this stuff. As "light" Lancomes go, though, I'll take "O de Lancome" over Tropee any day of the week. (That said, I also wouldn't turn down a free bottle of Trophee.)

Wow, I can't believe you'd consider this a light fragrance! One spray is almost too much for me! Much better outdoors than indoors as well.

theperfumecollector.com is down to just the 6.7 ounce splash bottle for just under a hundred bucks. This time last year he had nearly the whole line to include a soap on a rope...better get it while you can!

OMG, total boner. Thanks!!!

I want it all!

Very curious about this. I love Miracle and L'Aquatonic. Lancome does not have enough men's scents to go around.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Worn today for the first time, having obtained a 3.5ml bottle as part of a miniatures collection. I haven't owned Eau Sauvage for many years but, if memory serves, they are strikingly similar?

Trophee is the first thing that comes to mind when I want a fresh scent that is clean smelling and long lasting (I can't decide between Trophee and Eau D'Orange Vert Concentree when it comes to freshness ....). I have been using this scent since it's launch in the 80's and found a bottle in France last year by chance and am treasuring it very much - it smells really uplifting and comforting at the same time. The whole 'golf' theme for the bottle is that the fragrance was created especially for a major golf tournament/competition back then and hence the design of the bottle relating to that particular theme. There are some similarities between Trophee and Eau Sauvage Extreme ( minus the heavier spices and leather notes). Lancome did make some interesting fragrances in the past and am a huge fan of Sagamore and have a bottle of it still, Balafre was very bracing and there was a Balafre Brun and Vert edition as well but never did get to try the last 2 versions.

Here's my review, which I pasted in from the BN directory listing. There are about 4 reviews there.
    "Green. Powerful. Attractive. TrophÚe Lanc˘me is a very good chypre: spicy-green, grassy and mossy. It is big but pleasant, not heavy or synthetic. It conveys a powerful, masculine aura. The opening has lots of lemon and little lavender. Grassy tones dominate the midpoint. It then develops a light musk tone which compliments the mix and brings things to a satisfactory conclusion. This sort of scent is classy and should come back in style. Out of production but it is worth seeking out. If you can get it at a good price, try it."
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

When I think about Trophee I always remember the first time I encountered a bottle.

I was staying over night at a friends house - his family has two homes: one in Philadelphia and one in Palm Beach (I think they're very rich). I drove up and met him and his boyfriend at the Palm Beach house, they had the house alone since their parents were out of town and they invited me to hang out, swim, get some sun, etc. I remember the house was HUGE, lot's of gilt and molding on the walls. Sculptures in the house. Crazy number of rooms. They had a maid.

In the guest bathroom I did a little snooping in the vanity and stumbled upon a bottle of Trophee. I thought the golf ball inspired cap was cheesy, but I sprayed some on and instantly liked it. It reminded me of Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene which I knew well and wore. But it had a penetrating strength to it, like Polo, but brighter.

I never got a bottle after I smelled it, it was incredibly hard to find in the stores I shopped in. But for me it always conjured up images of rich people, their luxurious summer homes, hanging out by the pool and sipping champagne.

I'd love to smell it again.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th November 2008 at 09:47 PM.

Does this smell "older" than Bowling Green?
    Does it have as much lemon or herbs as Bowling Green?
    Or are the green notes more floral(greenergy) than herbaceous?
    Also, it doesn't smell at all "dark green" like Polo, right ?
    Is it powdery at all ?

Haven't tried Bowling Green yet, so I can't answer the first two, but;

are the green notes more floral(greenergy) than herbaceous? - no, both.
    Also, it doesn't smell at all "dark green" like Polo, right ? - No
    Is it powdery at all ? - No
    Last edited by Scentronic; 1st December 2008 at 03:53 AM.

^I see your wardrobe has some green scents listed.
    As far as sweetness, is it sweeter or less sweet than any of your green creeds ?
    Also, the 'color' of green it conjures up:
    --is it bright Boston celtics kelly green like Selection Verte?
    --is it light-to-medium neon green like Original Vetiver ?
    --is it dusty green speckled with white/tan like Green Valley ?

And how would you compare trophee's lemon to Blenheim Bouquet's ?
    Is it sweeter? is it as strong ? does it have any pine/fir in the drydown ?

Having posted a couple of times that I found (from memory) Trophee smells a lot like I remember Eau Sauvage, I have a small bottle of the latter on the way so will be able to do a direct comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    ^I see your wardrobe has some green scents listed.
    As far as sweetness, is it sweeter or less sweet than any of your green creeds ?
    Also, the 'color' of green it conjures up:
    --is it bright Boston celtics kelly green like Selection Verte?
    --is it light-to-medium neon green like Original Vetiver ?
    --is it dusty green speckled with white/tan like Green Valley ?

And how would you compare trophee's lemon to Blenheim Bouquet's ?
    Is it sweeter? is it as strong ? does it have any pine/fir in the drydown ?

Yes, GREEN is definitely my thing!
    All three of your descriptions of Green are awesome. I want to opt for all three, to be honest! "Boston Celtics Kelly Green" was my first choice, but they are all medium-to-bright greens. TL is definitely not dark. I'd say it is less sweet than most of the green Creeds. The lemon isn't QUITE as pronounced as it is in. It is pretty strong (strong enough for me anyway) and doesn't really have any pine/fir jumping out at you. It's more about grass.

And to acknowledge the post after yours, yes, it definitely does smell a lot like Eau Savauge. Total chypre. I see ES as more yellow/green, while TL is solid green chypre.

If you get a bottle, be careful. Use one spray and add more later if it's not enough. If you overdo it, it can be cloying. It IS an early 80's scent, and is not QUITE as natural smelling a Creed (but that's not saying much, is it?). I hold it dear because of a strong nostalgia element. It was among the first few fragrances I ever smelled. That being said, if you like green scents, it is worth a try. It evokes an 80's country club feel. (not that I ever belonged to a country club in the 80's or anything )
    Last edited by Scentronic; 2nd December 2008 at 02:42 PM.

Alright thanks man.
    Does it share anything in common with Paco Rabanne PH ?
    Not just notes, but the "muted/dull synthetic linearity" of Paco Rabanne ?
    And also, if anyone could compare/contrast as best they can with Bowling Green ?
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 1st December 2008 at 01:27 PM.

I'm wearing it today. I find it to be a powerful scent, a typical chypre (dusky green). Not bright green. It reminds me of Guerlain's Sous les Vent. I don't find it lemony and I don't find any particular resemblance to Eau Sauvage. I like it, but I wouldn't wear it every day. I get the tang of patchouli and vetiver in the dry-down.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I don't find any particular resemblance to Eau Sauvage.
    You know what...? I've been thinking about this since you posted it, and I've realized that I was thinking about Annick Goutal's Eau de Sud when I wrote that!

And I agree, it (Trophee) isn't particularly lemony.

Okay - the latest comments surprised me but I will certainly bow to those more knowledgeable than I and do admit it's been many years since I last owned Eau Sauvage (which is about to be remedied any day now) but my first thought upon opening Trophee in a miniatures set was how similar it was to how I remembered Eau Sauvage. When ES arrives I'll put each on a wrist and make a direct comparison.

Don't bother. I've retracted my original statement. Annick Goutal's Eau de Sud was what I was thinking of when I compared it to Eau Savauge.

MonkeyManMatt reviewed it on his blog, in August:

http://monkeymanmatts.blogspot.com/2...he-lancme.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Don't bother. I've retracted my original statement. Annick Goutal's Eau de Sud was what I was thinking of when I compared it to Eau Savauge.
    Well, yes but what I was saying was that I thought Trophee and ES were very similar.

Looks like Perfumeemporium.com has a 3.4 EDT for $48.99

http://www.perfumeemporium.com/mens/...FRRhnAodvWU__A
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

DO any of the vets have comparisons to Bowling Green ?
    Or another green scent ?

Also, can everyone, including previous posters, state if they have an older bottle, or a 20th anniversary 2002 bottle ? I think that would help.
    Thanks everyone.

Lovely fragrance, truly a forgotten gem!

Read my review of it here:

http://monkeymanmatts.blogspot.com/2...he-lancme.html

I really like the tacky 80┤s bottle as well, much cooler than the new rectangular flacon...

/mmm

Aaah Trebor, just saw your post!

=)

/m

Question Re: Has anyone else tried Trophee Lancome?

^I assume Matt has the original bottle.
    Has anyone smelled/owned the 20th anniversary 2002 relaunch version/bottle ?
    Or any additional comparisons of either version of Trophee to other "green" or "citrus/green" scents ?
    Thanks everyone.

My "go to" citrus scent. Second favorite is O de Lancome (unisex scent). I dislike O de Lancome pour Homme.

Blog Entries

I was wearing Diorella all the time, then on a trip to Paris I discovered Trophee Lancome when it launched. (I think they gave me a free bag too.) I don't care that it's supposed to be a man's scent (which I'm not) and for golfers (which I'm not). I found it pretty close to Diorella - which I know men wear too.
    So I'd call it a citrussy chypre, pretty powerful stuff. I loved it so much, but my bottle ran out around 1983 and I'd forgotten all about it! I replaced it with Eau de Rochas, and tried O de Lancome too. Shifted slightly over to Cristalle around the same time. So for me, they all belong in the same circle of friends.I was always looking for things that smelled Diorella-ish. I just bought a little 15ml bottle of the old stuff and can't wait for it to turn up. I'll give the new one a try, compare and return with a report.

Trophee Lancome is a very nice fragrance and glad it is in my collection

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by aaz View Post
    There are some similarities between Trophee and Eau Sauvage Extreme ( minus the heavier spices and leather notes).
    I think Lancome Trophee and Eau Sauvage Extreme Concentree (=old version) are quite similar. They are both green and have huge indoles. Trophee is less sweet and more interesting.

Trophee is a terrific fragrance. I have a reissue bottle. I have never smelled the vintage, but the indoles are really something. The perfumer hit the sweet spot between "reserved gentlemanly" and "great grandma's breath" -- challenging but not quite rude. Nice.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 29th December 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't know this was indolic. Now I really want to smell this again.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

TAKEN a partial spray bottle of Trophee Lancome EDT, free

Peace today, Lisa
    Last edited by SaNielsen; 29th December 2012 at 07:13 PM.