Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon: Anyone have a house guide?

Hey all, so I have been interested in this house for a while, and I'm probably going to pick up some sample soon. However, I don't hear them talked about much and would love to have a guide as to what fragrances are good that they offer. I've checked fragrantica and there is the list, but it's hard to get an idea of what the fragrances are really like outside of the note breakdowns.

Any information would be appreciated.

Default Re: Penhaligon: Anyone have a house guide?

I remember some threads in the past, perhaps a search will uncover something.

I'm personally no big fan of the house - but other people like it a lot. I like and own Violetta, it's a big violet, sort of old fashioned. Scents from the old collection people seem to talk about include also Castile (lemon - I strongly dislike the drydown but it gets a lot of love here), English Fern (as an example of fougere, but somewhat rough), and Douro.

In recent years, they tried instead to embrace a modern style of perfumery (also using whimsical, funny ads), and some of the newer scents are by the (overstretched) Duchafour. Sartorial seems to be the most loved exponent of this new wave (it is a "nugere", and supposedly recalls chemicals used in tailor shops), but there's also Opus 1870 (interesting near marine fresh), Amaranthine (confused fruity), and Juniper Sling (zingy but short lived gin).

cacio

Blog Entries

Sartorial gets a lot of love here, but from what I've tried, I really like LP No. 9 for Men. It is spicy, but turns sweet towards the end. I ordered both the other day as part of the sampler package from Aedes.

Sartorial is the best for me. A modern fougere that smells very gentlemanly and is of course, great when dressed up. It's a nice blend of old school and contemporary and that's pretty hard to pull off.

English Fern is a very traditional scent. A nice casual pleasent scent. A classic. I have never wrapped my head around the notion that ferns smell like that, but whatever. I like it spring/summer. Feels quite British and proper. Whether worn by a man or a woman, you probably wish they would stand a little closer.

Hammam Bouquet is one odd duck. Very, very old school. Lavender and roses. Smells a bit like roses macerated in baby oil was one description I read. I have tried and that's close.

Endymion is sort their attempt at a bit of a modern gourmand. Nice smelling. Kind of a latte scent. Didn't last on me.

Racquets Formula a favorite of mine. Very barbershop. Long lasting, pleasant, clean. Some think it to be like Pinaud Clubman. I don't quite get that, but it is in that same just got a shave and haircut vein. One of the scents I wear that usually offers me the rare experience of noting that someone here smells reallly good...then realizing it's me.

Blenheim Bouquet is vaunted by many. I don't like it at all. Starts with strong lemon...very strong, and morphs to a pine scent. Doesn't last on me for more than minutes. Lots of "longevity sucks" reviews on this one. It's beloved by a lot of mature men who I tend to think are guys who really rarely wear scents other than after shave and thus think this is "strong stuff." I freakin hate it with a passion that freakin few scents inspire.

Your wardrobe is interesting Octavaruim... To me, Sartorial is the biggest must try from the Pens scents for you. It would fit in well and be a nice "suit up" scent for you. Your scents skew "young" and Sartorial might be a nice quasi maturish change of pace for you to hit people with.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 29th December 2012 at 04:46 AM.

Blog Entries

We passed around 16 of them, including some of the masculines, and various people posted reviews here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/262...cussion-Thread

Of the masculines, my husband likes LP No. 9 best at this point but hasn't been moved to buy a bottle; he has a bottle of English Fern but hardly ever wears it any more. I know at one point he was thinking of buying Opus 1870 and Elixir, but he ended up buying other fragrances instead.

Saks in Greenwich carries the line, and has testers; maybe the Boston store does also?

I believe the Saks on Fifth Avenue in NYC does also.

I own a couples of fragrances from Penhaligon's however, majority of them are soliflores. I like their treatment of solifores which is simple, old fashion, elegant but with a little twist to make them interesting

- - - Updated - - -

I own a couples of fragrances from Penhaligon's however, majority of them are soliflores. I like their treatment of solifores which is simple, old fashion, elegant but with a little twist to make them interesting

I love their 3 older scents, but then I'm a traditionalist.

Take a look in the BN fragrance directory, lots of rsviews there.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I have tried most of them and like Opus 1870 the best.

I like Sartorial and Hammam, but some the newer ones like Peoneve are really weak attempts.

I would like to see Endymion in and EDP because it is so weak.

I would also like more attention to the details in packaging and presentation. I bought one bottle of fragrance where there was a huge glob of blue on the ribbon and the label was so crooked that it looked like an eight year old pasted it on. I expect more from a fragrance house with a lineage like Penhaligon's.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I would definately buy Endymion if it were stronger and lasted more, as others pointed out.
    Also, the bouquets are really nice, but you need to be confortable with them, which I'm not.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Hammam Bouquet is lovely. Have not tried any of the others yet.