Code of Conduct

Default Slumberhouse samples

So, I just ordered the sample pack from Slumberhouse and I'm pretty darn excited. I've been contemplating hitting that complete order button for a week now, and I finally broke down after winning some money on holiday scratch tickets.

Anyway, what were your first opinions of this house and the fragrances that come in the sample pack (vikt, jeke, norne, grev, rume)? I know there is a very long thread dedicated to the house, but I didn't see a lot of initial impressions on there.

Just thought I'd ask since I'm excited.

Default Re: Slumberhouse samples

It's always exciting waiting for fragrances to arrive that are anticipated by one with delight!

My general impression is that they are all sort of "outside the box" as far as fragrances go, so I think you'll have a fun time testing them.

And yes, some are perfect for winter wear I think.

Plus the whole thing about Josh being a great guy. Which is totally the case.

I look forward to hearing your impressions !

Very concentrated scents..dense and complex. First- apply in very small amounts, like a drop, so that you may perceive the numerous notes..if you apply too heavily to start, the principal note will overwhelm the others. Go slow with each sample, they need time to unfold, and several wearings to appreciate...or not. You won't find any citrus notes here my friend, volatility is relatively low, so be prepared for unusual longevity. Enjoy

My first impression......Was, HOLY CRAP!!!!! These are huge scents, very strong. So don't over apply them. My initial reaction was, I don't like them. Just wait for the dry down......after the first 15 minutes has gone, they are great.
    Great for winter.

I loved them from the first time I smelled them and now have full bottles of everything you'll be sampling except for Rume. I hope you enjoy them! They smell like nothing else out there.

Basenotes Institution

I've only tested Sova, Jeke and Norne, and I like all three although Jeke didn't wow me as much as the other two. If I had to say from these three which is FBW I would choose Sova. It's sort of a dense, thick, resinous absolute - hard to compare to any other fragrance.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Both Norne , Rume and Vikt have been big winners in my book. Slumberhouse is definitely doing a great job. More thoughts on the line here.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I was initially a little disappointed in some of them; several of them struck me as being more of holiday room spray type scents (admittedly, very fancy ones in the nicely designed aluminum bottles!). I don't find any of them "huge" or "strong" in any way comparable to most men's frags from, say, Sephora, with their overwhelming Manly Note, whatever it is (I think it's usually aquatics that really whack me); they have impact, but I would call them pretty cool about it for the most part, at least on me. Very lasting, and mostly very warm, except Grev, which I think is my least favourite, although it's interesting.

Grev and Kere are both intensely medicinal or apothecary in quality to my nose; they both have a really bitter, intense rooty note in them which reminds me of some bitter herbal roots I've tinctured in the past. They hung over the smell of my package (which smelled wonderful, I thought, like an herbalist's workshop at holiday time).

I found with all of them that it took several wears to figure out what I really loved about them, but I LIKED them all, which is very rare for me. They've got long development periods. I've ordered a full bottle of Sova (although I put some on the other day and my partner said, "Wow, smells like burning squash in here!" -- and yes, it does rather at first, and now that's all I can think of, but it evolves very interestingly). I will probably order a full bottle of Jeke as well. (I saw a few friends of mine while wearing Jeke, and M. hugged me and said, "You smell WONDERFUL, like yourself only better, like you've been walking all day in the woods! Hey, V, come here and smell her!" and I was surrounded by people sniffing me, which has never happened before. Sova, though, I kept *thinking* about, and wanting to wear it, after initially dismissing it as "quite pretty", which has also never happened before.)

There is something about Slumberhouse that really, really works for me. It may be that he doesn't like musks; I don't think musks and my skin get along most of the time, and I can't smell them properly either.

Rume smells like a spiced Coke, and a strong one at that. Different, and not in a bad way.

Norne is probably my favorite so far. Realistic pine forest. Like a meditative hike deep in dense woods.

Be patient with Jeke. It's a little tough to take (as in slightly funky) for the first 15-30 minutes but the warm tobacco dry down is great.

Vikt is very rooty and I didn't personally care for it. I'm not ready to smell like that yet.

All-in-all you're in for a treat. Enjoy!

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing Jeke again tonight, it's cool out (cool for us, mid 60's) and 3 tiny sprays from my sample and I am coated in thick, tobacco ambience - sort of reminds me a tiny bit of how Parfum d'Habit by MPG feels in texture, without being so...scratchy.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

The only one I have experience with is Norne and I absolutely love the stuff!! It is thick, dense, dark, heavy, fantastic pine forest. If you are looking for a light fragrance, this isn't it, and I love that about it. One spray lasts a good 12 hours on me! It is the best pine frag that I have encountered mixed with some awesome smokiness. It is amazing! I love it from start to finish for the entire 12 hours that is lasts on me. Great stuff!! I have to explore this house much more.

Glad that some of you have been willing to share your first experiences with me. I'll perhaps make a thread with my own, more in-depth first opinions when I get the time to wear them after they come in (no idea how long it takes). From the sounds of it I need to take my time and not dismiss any of them without wearing them a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Rume smells like a spiced Coke, and a strong one at that. Different, and not in a bad way.

Norne is probably my favorite so far. Realistic pine forest. Like a meditative hike deep in dense woods.

Be patient with Jeke. It's a little tough to take (as in slightly funky) for the first 15-30 minutes but the warm tobacco dry down is great.

Vikt is very rooty and I didn't personally care for it. I'm not ready to smell like that yet.

All-in-all you're in for a treat. Enjoy!
    This thread inspired me to hit the inside of my forearm earlier with a shot of Sova from my samples. One of the site reviews describes it as smelling of a "fragrant barn" and I find that to be very accurate. Sweet hay in the loft with tobacco hung over the rafters to dry. Warm spiced vanilla dry-down. Nice.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    This thread inspired me to hit the inside of my forearm earlier with a shot of Sova from my samples. One of the site reviews describes it as smelling of a "fragrant barn" and I find that to be very accurate. Sweet hay in the loft with tobacco hung over the rafters to dry. Warm spiced vanilla dry-down. Nice.
    Yep, smells just like this. The only other scent I've smelled that smelled like a 'barn' was Greenbriar 1968 by CB I Hate Perfume, but the Slumberhouse is MUCH stronger than the CBIHP.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

So far, I agree with all of the comments about longevity, etc. I think you'll get bang for your buck here if you find something you like. So far, I like Pear + Olive and Rume the best.

I blind bought my first Slumberhouse yesterday - a 50mL of Ore is on the way to my humble home.
    Having smelled some terrific things involving cocoa in Samoa, I'm quite excited to smell this juice.

Yeah I wore most of them a few weeks ago nonstop. I bought Sova since I LOVED it and it was very unique and lasted 19+ hours on my skin with one spray from the sample. I liked all of them for different reasons, but Rume stood out as a Fall fragrance to own for sure, and Norne is....Norne.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I blind bought my first Slumberhouse yesterday - a 50mL of Ore is on the way to my humble home.
    Having smelled some terrific things involving cocoa in Samoa, I'm quite excited to smell this juice.
    Could I ask how / where you bought Ore? I have a sample of this from long ago and love it, but it doesn't seem to be available on the Slumberhouse website....

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Could I ask how / where you bought Ore? I have a sample of this from long ago and love it, but it doesn't seem to be available on the Slumberhouse website....
    I follow them on Twitter, and on Tuesday (about 12:30pm our time) they announced that they had 5 bottles of the original Ore for sale @ $115.

I'd have posted it on here but there were more pressing matters to which I needed to attend, namely I was at the pub having a few drinks before a day at the cricket.

thank you for the information! looks like it is now sold out, unfortunately... so that was a good catch!
    Last edited by gtsb; 31st January 2013 at 03:17 AM.

Yeah, they only announced it over Twitter to my knowledge (maybe their mailing list too, I'm not sure) and less than a day later they tweeted that the five bottles had sold.

You had to email them for an invoice - I don't think it showed up on their website.

Drat -- I'm sorry to have missed that.

I like Slumberhouse PEAR + OLIVE, great summer scent