Code of Conduct

Default 15 Year Old Newbie Help!

Hey guys,

This Christmas I got Armani Code as a present. Once I got it I started to look up different fragrances and now I'm interested in getting a few more.

I already have a date night fragrance (Armani code) but what I need now is one or two (or even three) every day fragrances that I can use at school.

I live in Canada so it would be crucial to have at least two really solid winter fragrances. I also wouldn't mind having a nice spring/summer cologne.

The last part is that as a 15 year old I want them to be young scents. I am a freshmen at high school and I dont want to be putting out a tobacco and leather vibe. My style is more casual like a hoodie and jeans but I can also pull off a more preppy look.

In summary what I'm looking for is
    two winter scents (hopefully one more casual to fit my hoddies and one more preppy)
    one spring/summer scent
    and keep all of them young smelling!

Thanks.

Default Re: 15 Year Old Newbie Help!

You should check out Boss Bottled. It's a great scent for almost any age and I find it can be worn year round although I live in Northern Ireland where it rarely hits 20 degrees C. Another suggestion would be YSL La Nuit de L'Homme which is a great autumn/winter fragrance. As for a spring/summer suggestion, check out Mugler Cologne which can be picked up cheap, Bleu de Chanel which is great year round and Versace Man Eau Fraise. You could also go with Acqua di Gio which is the most popular men's fragrance ever released but I'm guessing you would end up smelling like a lot of other guys. Also, depending on how popular it is where you live, A&F Fierce would be the perfect preppy fragrance but it is overworn in a lot of areas.
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Post Thanks / Like

Winter:Black XS Paco Rabanne and Rochas Man Rochas
    Summer:Allure Homme Sport Chanel
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

+1 on Black XS Paco Rabanne
    Another winter would be CK One Shock

For summer I'd recommend Love and Luck by Ed Hardy and Mont Blanc Legend

All of those are do-able for your age and the most expensive one will be the L&L at $75us for the large bottle, so they shouldn't break your bank

Another line you should look at if the Big Pony line from Polo. They have 4 scents and each has a Deo spray like Axe. They are $17.50 each and are great after gym or whatever for a nice refresher. They are also metal cans with twist top sprays so they won't break easily and won't accidentally spray everything in your bag.

Welcome to BN and enjoy
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Post Thanks / Like

I would go for Narciso Rodriguez for Him and/or Declaration from Cartier. Both are very great and can be used all year round. You should go at a store and test these two. It is not something that a boy of your age would go for, but they are different. Why would you like to smell like every young man at your school?

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

This should probably be in the "Just Starting Out" section.

Try Bulgari Man and Bulgari Aqua.

Post Thanks / Like

Perry Ellis 360 Red for the summer/spring one.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so hard to suggest a frag for someone based on their age.
    I think you would be better going to a few department stores where you can test to your hearts content and/or buy or beg some samples from stores or online.
    Regarding the above posts I can only say that Cartier Declaration isn't something I would recommend to a 15 year old and if you want something that smells of strawberries then Armani Diamonds is a bit less sickly than Black XS. Boss Bottled, Mugler Cologne and Bulgari Aqua sound like sensible choices to me.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    It's so hard to suggest a frag for someone based on their age.
    I think you would be better going to a few department stores where you can test to your hearts content and/or buy or beg some samples from stores or online.
    +1

However, [almost] all the above suggestions are very good choices IMO. A few others you might want to try would be:

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche (summer)
    Nautica Voyage (summer)
    Givenchy Play Intense (winter)

enjoy!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Armani Code is a nice one.

I say sample La Nuit, Platinum Egoiste and One Million

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For summer or even a staple any season / any occasion I would recommend Chanel Allure Sport or Versace Pour Homme.

Boss Bottled, Givenchy Play Intense and Burberry Brit are other good casual ones.

Burberry London

Post Thanks / Like

Some good recommendations as far as winter scents in here:

+1 Boss Bottled, Givenchy Play Intense, Burberry London, Rochas Man, and Black XS

For an every day, casual cologne that you can wear in any season, check out Joop! Jump. (fruity, spicy)

I think it's a good one for someone your age and you can grab it for under $30.

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot! It seems that many people are saying that boss bottled is a good winter scent, would that be casual enough to wear as an every day scent though?

I've also read a few of Hednic's posts and he seems to like Burberry London quite a lot.

All of these scents sound great but I've been looking closer at Rochas Man, Boss Bottled, Burberry London and Black XS Paco Rabanne for winter. I just dont want to smell like I should be at a business meeting instead of at school. And I am really hesitant to spent more than 200-250 on three bottles cologne (two winter one summer)

Boss Bottled is a great every day scent. I also highly recommend you to check out Bleu de Chanel. It also fits to every season/occassion and every1 around you will love the way it smells.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at Paul Smith Man, Mandarina Duck Pure Black, Baldessarini Strictly Private, and Burberry Touch. The first, second and last would make great casual fragrances year-round (as long as it isn't too hot) while Strictly Private would be best for colder days. I'd also recommend you take a look at the new Halston Man in the silver atomizer, not Amber Man as that might not suit someone your age. Other than these suggestions I second most of the above.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest while I myself own London I can't say I would recommend it in the case of OP.

It's one which I find quite difficult to wear, it definitely isn't a hoody / jeans / t-shirt type scent in my opinion. If you're looking at a collection of 3-5 bottles I'd skip London.

However definitely try it out for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sample Rochas Man and Givenchy Play Intense, they are both good for winter. For summer, I really like the original L'Homme by YSL (my teenager nephew likes L'Homme Libre). Also check out Versace Man Eau Fraiche.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Again, thank you.

To summarize you guys would say that I should try out Rochas Man, Givenchy Play Intense, Boss Bottled, Black XS and maybe even Burberry Brit or Burberry London for winter and for summer maybe L'Homme YSL, Bleu de Chanel, Chanel Allure Sport and Versace Man Eau Fraiche.

If I've missed any that might work well or If there are any others that should be mentioned I am more than happy to hear abut them.

I've also done some looking around for myself and I wouldn't mind your expert opinions on a few of them.

For summer I've heard that Davidoff Cool Water is a good teenage classic and Chanel egoiste. I've heard some mixed reviews about Joop and I've tried it on and it seemed almost sickly sweet but again, your expert opinions are welcome.

For casual winter i was thinking Deisel onlt the brave, Polo blue(not sure if it is more summery or not) John Varvatos, and maybe even 1 million despite the mixed reviews. The last one would be A&F Fierce but that seems like I would just end up smelling like everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool water is indeed a classic, fresh marine, and copied over and over again by lesser scents; it is quite powerful, so go easy. I love Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste), it is warm, cozy, sandalwoody - not really summery for me, though Canadian summers aren't the same as those here in the south, and in any case it's not too strong. I find Joop too much too, but again, everybody has his own taste.

cacio

I have been reading up on all of the summer scents suggested and a lot of them have been said to be a little to synthetic. Versace Man Eau Fraiche is said to be a little bit boring, L'homme YSL, L'homme YSL Libre both have people who either love or hate them for being to synthetic, Bleu de Chanel is said to be pretty nice but for me I would have to really be pushed to buy because it is so expensive. Chanel Allure Homme Sport is said to be nice but I'm not sure how it works as an every day scent. And I have no idea where I can buy Chanel products! they aren't at The Bay or Sears and I can't buy online because my mom thinks i shouldn't spend money on fragrances.

I've got a pretty good understanding now of what I want for winter scents but now I need to nail down a few really good summer scents. In the end I want to pick just one or maybe one cheaper one and one a little more expensive but I still haven't quite figured out my summer scents yet.
    Last edited by coolty; 30th December 2012 at 07:38 AM.

I wouldn't wear Egoiste to summer but instead the Platinum version. It's way more fresh and clean. All in all prefer Platinum Egoiste to regular Egoiste.

Yeah, I was looking into it more and it does seem to be more of a fall, winter scent. haven't looked into Platinum though.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter - one million , diesel fuel for life ( sweet frag but lasting a long time )
    Summer - nautical voyage ( cheapie but good) or issy miaky the original one

Thanks again for everyone's input. In the end I've decided to go with Burberry London, and Rochas Man for winter and because they are both so cheap I'm getting Nautica Voyage and PE 360 Red for summer. Do you guys think these sound like good choices? Keeping in mind that I am a 15 year old looking for a casual every day school scent. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coolty View Post
    Thanks again for everyone's input. In the end I've decided to go with Burberry London, and Rochas Man for winter and because they are both so cheap I'm getting Nautica Voyage and PE 360 Red for summer. Do you guys think these sound like good choices? Keeping in mind that I am a 15 year old looking for a casual every day school scent. Thanks.
    I think you went with the best recommendations you were given.

The only one I haven't tried is PE360 Red.

Voyage is a great choice for summer, and you can't go wrong with Burberry London or Rochas Man--cheap, classic, great smelling men's fragrances, both excellent during the cold weather.

Nice picks.