Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Murdocks are a high class barbers and male grooming specialists which has five shops in the London area and was established in 2006.

    They have their own range of shaving and grooming products along with six colognes which are: Black Tea, Patchouli, Fougere, Bright Leaf, Avalon and Vetiver. These are sold online at their website http://www.murdocklondon.com/fragrance-1.html and at selected UK stores.

    On the net there is little if any information on any of these fragrances so as I own four scents from their range I thought I would start a thread for people who are or maybe interested in these fragrances and want to know more about them.



    It opens with a fresh soft spicyness with clove, basil and nutmeg and smells really good. This is followed by a really wonderful black tea note that makes the scent a bit refreshing. As time moves forward you get some leather mixing in with the masculine spice followed by a musky woodyness. The scent has arm length projection and starts to quiten down after four hours then becoming a skin scent by hour five which is not bad for a cologne as some EDT's have the same longevity.

    The fragrance is of a high quality and the way the leather and spice mix together is good and I'm especially impressed with the strong black tea note which adds a extra dimension to the leather and spice. It is very masculine and a good modern barbershop cologne showing how the barbershop cologne has evolved compared to Trumpers, Floris scents etc.



    It opens with lavender mixed in with green fern like spices that makes the fragrance smell fresh, clean and soapy. After a while it starts to get mossy and a bit herbal with some woods. In the basenotes the soapy green fern like spicyness gets more warmer as the lavender dissipates and the green spicy moss remains.

    I have to say the projection is very good but not in a way that it shouts across the room but in a way that you are surrounded in a halo of aromatic green soapy spice. I get about five hours longevity with this cologne.

    IMO this scent is the true modern successor to the old classic's of Wild/English fern as it is done in a modern way but has kept the traditional roots of the classic Fougere with the lavender, green fern like spices and a good dose of oakmoss without the temptation of adding other popular notes.

    So to sum up the scent is a very fresh, soapy soft lavender mixed in with herbal green fern like spices that is aromatic and mossy that lasts for five hours. A good clean barbershop scent.



    It opens with a fresh soft spicyness with patchouli, cardamom with a dose of pepper and it smells very nice. The patchouli is very earthy and low key, it never overwhelms but is subtlely blended amongst other notes but is still the spicy heart of the fragrance.

    I can pick up some florals in the midnotes mixing with the earthy spicy patchouli which is probably what is giving the scent that freshness in the opening. In the basenotes you can smell the earthy patchouli on a light bed of Frankincense and I have to say it smells really nice .

    The marketing is spot on with this scent as I find it sensual & mysterious and also a bit sexy, a good light spicy modern barbershop cologne that never overwhelms or outstays it's welcome. I get about five hours in longevity and it has arm length projection.

    Another Murdock winner for me and this is going straight into my rotation, I just love the modern barbershop style of this house where the fragrances are clean,masculine and can be worn anywhere and at anytime. A big thumbs up from me!



    This opens with a rich tobacco leaf that has a hint of sweetness mixed in with a strong cedar wood. It does smell like the bottom of a old humidor where you can detect hints of sweet tobacco and woods. It opens a little fresh then gets warmer but is also light in the barbershop way.

    Those that like Havana by Aramis would probably like this as well as it is not a million miles away from it. It's just the tobacco is done differently where in Havana it is a spicy musky tobacco, in Bright leaf the note is richer and slightly sweet with lots of cedar.

    I like it and I do get the references to Cuba in the marketing. It lasts about five hours like the others and has arm length projection.

    The following fragrances I have not tried but here are the marketing banners with a little info on them.




  2. #2
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,637

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Thanks for the heads up. These sound pleasant.

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,906

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    They must sell a lot of Black Tea, because every time I think about placing an order, they are out of stock. I did get an e-mail this morning that Bright Leaf is on sale for those wanting to purchase.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    They must sell a lot of Black Tea, because every time I think about placing an order, they are out of stock. I did get an e-mail this morning that Bright Leaf is on sale for those wanting to purchase.
    I like all of their frags as I like their barbershop style but Black Tea is my favorite, I no longer lament the discontinuation of Gucci Pour Homme II now I have this. Not that they smell alike but knowing I have a really good Tea fragrance.

    When I purchased this from a UK store online in I believe September they had six bottles available, I submitted my review and a few weeks later they were sold out and still are. Seems to be very popular within the UK as it's always sold out.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Just had a look at their website and noticed that Bright Leaf is currently on offer at £56 instead of the usual £70 for those interested.

    Jack Hunter...are there samples of this line available anywhere?
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

  6. #6

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by Mervin View Post
    Just had a look at their website and noticed that Bright Leaf is currently on offer at £56 instead of the usual £70 for those interested.

    Jack Hunter...are there samples of this line available anywhere?
    You would have to email Murdocks direct as I do not know of any samples been available of these fragrances anywhere.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    I have a bottle of Black Tea which I bought online from Murdock after Jack Hunter rave reviews. I like it. The tea fragrance that Murdock Black Tea is most similar to is CdG Tea from the CdG Leaves Series especially in the first phase of its fragrance. The CDG Tea is bolder in fragrance initially but mellows into a fuller pure black tea scent after it dries down a bit. The Murdock Tea starts with a lighter black tea note initially and wears down into a dry base note that includes a tiny bite of birch tar + a bit of patchouli. I don't smell any nutmeg, cloves or spices in my bottle even though they are listed. The fragrance is woody and very dry, not sweet at all which is fine with me and is never unpleasant. It doesn't necessarily appear to have lots of development or progression in the scent, but it is very natural smelling and is appropriate for a conservative barbershop fragrance. The high sharp notes of birch wood + black tea combine for a bitter topnote that reminds me slightly of the bitter peak of lilacs and/or new tire rubber. Anyway it is a fine fragrance, probably not for everyone because there is no sweetness in it at all, but I like it.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Well, I'm sure I had tried to find out some info on this and thought I even posted about the range before... A quick search revealed this was my very first post on Basenotes back in March 2011!!!

    I suppose this thread is long overdue - thanks, Jack!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    The only one I've tried is the Vetiver, and it seems like a very woody one to me - it's very good if that's the way you like your vetiver.

    I've not tried the others, because they've never had a tester open when I've looked in John Lewis (the only place near me that stocks Murdock).
    Alan

  10. #10

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Thanks for this. I stumbled on a store while walking down a street in London. I knew nothing about them, and sniffed the entire line on strips. I thought they were pretty good, especially the fougere (as I remember).
    odysseusm

    "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

  11. #11

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Thanks for this. I stumbled on a store while walking down a street in London. I knew nothing about them, and sniffed the entire line on strips. I thought they were pretty good, especially the fougere (as I remember).
    I purchased them blind and I only had your little reviews to go by so thanks for leading the way with some information on these. Luckly there is nothing edgy or challenging with any of them, good inoffensive barbershop colognes of good quality. If fact they all would make a good set of office fragrances to wear each day.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    I've noticed quite a few people posting these as their SOTD. Jack, thanks man for the info. I will look more into these.

    - - - Updated - - -

    O.K. Jack, you twist my arm bro (not hard to do when it comes to this frag thing)...lol. Just ordered the 100ml of Black Tea. Thanks again for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Murdocks are a high class barbers and male grooming specialists which has five shops in the London area and was established in 2006.

    They have their own range of shaving and grooming products along with six colognes which are: Black Tea, Patchouli, Fougere, Bright Leaf, Avalon and Vetiver. These are sold online at their website http://www.murdocklondon.com/fragrance-1.html and at selected UK stores.

    On the net there is little if any information on any of these fragrances so as I own four scents from their range I thought I would start a thread for people who are or maybe interested in these fragrances and want to know more about them.



    It opens with a fresh soft spicyness with clove, basil and nutmeg and smells really good. This is followed by a really wonderful black tea note that makes the scent a bit refreshing. As time moves forward you get some leather mixing in with the masculine spice followed by a musky woodyness. The scent has arm length projection and starts to quiten down after four hours then becoming a skin scent by hour five which is not bad for a cologne as some EDT's have the same longevity.

    The fragrance is of a high quality and the way the leather and spice mix together is good and I'm especially impressed with the strong black tea note which adds a extra dimension to the leather and spice. It is very masculine and a good modern barbershop cologne showing how the barbershop cologne has evolved compared to Trumpers, Floris scents etc.



    It opens with lavender mixed in with green fern like spices that makes the fragrance smell fresh, clean and soapy. After a while it starts to get mossy and a bit herbal with some woods. In the basenotes the soapy green fern like spicyness gets more warmer as the lavender dissipates and the green spicy moss remains.

    I have to say the projection is very good but not in a way that it shouts across the room but in a way that you are surrounded in a halo of aromatic green soapy spice. I get about five hours longevity with this cologne.

    IMO this scent is the true modern successor to the old classic's of Wild/English fern as it is done in a modern way but has kept the traditional roots of the classic Fougere with the lavender, green fern like spices and a good dose of oakmoss without the temptation of adding other popular notes.

    So to sum up the scent is a very fresh, soapy soft lavender mixed in with herbal green fern like spices that is aromatic and mossy that lasts for five hours. A good clean barbershop scent.



    It opens with a fresh soft spicyness with patchouli, cardamom with a dose of pepper and it smells very nice. The patchouli is very earthy and low key, it never overwhelms but is subtlely blended amongst other notes but is still the spicy heart of the fragrance.

    I can pick up some florals in the midnotes mixing with the earthy spicy patchouli which is probably what is giving the scent that freshness in the opening. In the basenotes you can smell the earthy patchouli on a light bed of Frankincense and I have to say it smells really nice .

    The marketing is spot on with this scent as I find it sensual & mysterious and also a bit sexy, a good light spicy modern barbershop cologne that never overwhelms or outstays it's welcome. I get about five hours in longevity and it has arm length projection.

    Another Murdock winner for me and this is going straight into my rotation, I just love the modern barbershop style of this house where the fragrances are clean,masculine and can be worn anywhere and at anytime. A big thumbs up from me!



    This opens with a rich tobacco leaf that has a hint of sweetness mixed in with a strong cedar wood. It does smell like the bottom of a old humidor where you can detect hints of sweet tobacco and woods. It opens a little fresh then gets warmer but is also light in the barbershop way.

    Those that like Havana by Aramis would probably like this as well as it is not a million miles away from it. It's just the tobacco is done differently where in Havana it is a spicy musky tobacco, in Bright leaf the note is richer and slightly sweet with lots of cedar.

    I like it and I do get the references to Cuba in the marketing. It lasts about five hours like the others and has arm length projection.

    The following fragrances I have not tried but here are the marketing banners with a little info on them.




  13. #13
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,778

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    What do you mean by "barbershop style?" Maybe barbers are different where I live, but when I go there no one smells anything or has any cologne on. They are just cutting my hair on the cheap and that's it.

    Otherwise, I'm intrigued by the house, but the EDC concentration has me a little worried.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    What do you mean by "barbershop style?" Maybe barbers are different where I live, but when I go there no one smells anything or has any cologne on. They are just cutting my hair on the cheap and that's it.

    Otherwise, I'm intrigued by the house, but the EDC concentration has me a little worried.
    Back in the Eighties and decades before that their used to be what we call old fashioned barbers where you would go in and get a shave and a cut and at the end they would slap some cologne upon your cheeks. This cologne usually had a light fresh/spicy style, it never overpowered or was that complex but it gave you that spring in your step when you left the barbers.

    Murdocks are a modern barbers that have followed the old tradition and brought out there own scents that are based on established fragrance genres but done in a modern way. So barbershop scents are not meant to last all day but were part of a mans grooming in the old days and were usually a EDC.

    sjg3839 - Your welcome and enjoy that fragrance when it arrives. For me it has a really satisfying spicy notes with a bit of leather and woods along with the tea note that really hits the spot.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 30th December 2012 at 12:20 AM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I purchased them blind and I only had your little reviews to go by so thanks for leading the way with some information on these. Luckly there is nothing edgy or challenging with any of them, good inoffensive barbershop colognes of good quality. If fact they all would make a good set of office fragrances to wear each day.
    Glad to be of help.
    odysseusm

    "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

  16. #16

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Just to let everyone know, if you're considering Murdock's fragrances, I looked into buying Black Tea this week and, of course, the only way to get it in the USA is to order it from Murdock's online site (in England). I had a 10% off code to use after signing up for their email. The price in U.S. dollars after the discount was going to be around $82.00 (no taxes). I went to checkout and there was an option there for choosing the shipping method. However, there was only one option listed....by air. Well of course, I thought to myself. I checked that option and it proceeded to tell me that the shipping charge to the USA would be $78.00.....almost as much as the cologne! Needless to say, I canceled the transaction.

    Looks like England is one of the few places on earth that will know about Murdock's fragrances. Sad...

    I wrote them and told them that they REALLY need to get a U.S. distributor for their products (i.e., MiN, Luckyscent) as the majority would NEVER pay such a price for shipping.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  17. #17

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    I just received a bottle of Bright Leaf and it is good stuff, just not for me. Fans of Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille might want to give this a look. Richer and sweeter than Havana but a bit warmer and less cloying (for me) than TV. Good longevity for me, I got about 4-6 hours on skin. I am guessing I can stretch that out a bit on clothes.
    .

  18. #18
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,422

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I just received a bottle of Bright Leaf and it is good stuff, just not for me. Fans of Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille might want to give this a look. Richer and sweeter than Havana but a bit warmer and less cloying (for me) than TV. Good longevity for me, I got about 4-6 hours on skin. I am guessing I can stretch that out a bit on clothes.
    I found Bright Leaf was very realistic/natural smelling for what it was trying to present but it just wasn't for me. Maybe its super-sweetened rendition of tobacco leaf was just not the facet I was looking for.

    Now Black Tea on the other hand was extremely impressive...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

  19. #19

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    I have been on the fence whether Bright leaf actually works for me as a cologne. It is very good as rendition of tobacco as drseid mentions but I feel it needs other notes to make it into a proper fragrance to wear. Because who wants to smell exactly like a tobacconist shop.lol

    I find Patchouli to be another great fragrance behind their Black Tea scent it really smells good. The Patchouli note is very light and earthy and it's on bed of frankincense and it also has a sensuality about it. These are my favorites from the range.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Murdock Range Of Fragrances

    I just sold my bottle of Bright Leaf. I really loved parts of it but there was a green-leafy/vegetal stem note that hits me the wrong way at the very beginning (for a couple minutes) and reemerges after a couple hours as it begins to fade. The middle is awesome; warm, slightly sweet spicy tobacco. I sold it because the projection was a bit weak and I could pick up that green vegetal note when I would catch a waft of it from a distance. I wanted more of that warm sweet tobacco, and it was there, I could smell it when I put my nose to my skin, it just didn't project.

    Fortunately, I did find an alternative. It is a bit more cloying when you put your nose to skin but it projects nicely and it is fairly similar to Bright Leaf. I would think of this as the Bright Leaf Extreme edition. Illuminum Wild Tobacco. Anyone else try this?
    .

Similar Threads

  1. Thoughts on Black Tea by Murdock
    By tonyreekie in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22nd May 2014, 09:11 PM
  2. House Of Lubin Range Of Fragrances
    By Jack Hunter in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26th April 2012, 05:06 PM
  3. Histoires de Parfums Range Of Fragrances
    By Jack Hunter in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 20th February 2012, 07:56 PM
  4. Most formal non-Citrus fragrances in the Floris Range?
    By Esquire in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st May 2010, 02:16 AM
  5. Roja Dove Two Fragrances for Urban Retreat Range
    By donna255 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th October 2007, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •