Code of Conduct

Default Bad experience with Amazon seller - advice appreciated

I happened upon a listing for Guerlain LIDGE for $61.05 and purchased it. About a month passed by and I received no update on the status but my card was not charged so I didn't worry.

On dec. 20 I was excited to see that I had been charged and my order had shipped. I received the package yesterday and it was the edt version which I already have. I am so mad. The listing is definitely for the edp, which I can see by looking at my transactions that the listing was definitely for the edp extreme version.

The problem is amazon does not accept returns on fragrances so I'm not sure about what kind of actions I can take. I have emailed the company and let them know I want a refund.

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bad experience with Amazon seller - advice appreciated

Did you get it directly from amazon or a seller on amazon?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

If it was not represented correctly you should be able to return it.

Can't you just do a claim on your credit card? (Assuming you paid by credit card).

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Did you get it directly from amazon or a seller on amazon?
    I got it from a seller on amazon
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If it was not represented correctly you should be able to return it.
    Amazon doesn't accept returns on fragrances since they consider fragrance to be hazardous materials that can't be shipped back through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    Can't you just do a claim on your credit card? (Assuming you paid by credit card).
    I paid by debit. card, but I am awaiting a response from them an them. I guess I should contact my credit card company too.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Get in contact with customer service of the specific seller you bought from and tell them they sent you the edt instead of the edp as advertised, and that you want to return it for a refund.

Get a return authorization number if they have one. Then send it back by surface mail with insurance and delivery confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by JonVengeance View Post
    Amazon doesn't accept returns on fragrances since they consider fragrance to be hazardous materials that can't be shipped back through the air.
    Perhaps you could return the item using ground shipping? I mean they shipped the item to you right, so shouldn't you be able to ship it back to them?

In any event the item was not as described, and you have proof of that. It's like ordering a pair of shoes, and receiving a hat. Please don't except anything less than a full refund (including shipping charges). I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about this type of thing will chime in. Let us know how it goes.

Blog Entries

Since it was an individual and not amazon, they would hopefully be willing to correct their mistake no matter what Amazon's official policies are.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I find it hard to believe that Amazon would refuse to refund (even if they won't accept a return, they should still make it right.) If THEY SENT THE WRONG PRODUCT. That's like saying "order something....and we'll just send you whatever we want and you can't do anything about it." They might not be able to authorize shipping it back, but they should either refund your money or send you a replacement product.

Since you bought it from another seller, well, here's hoping that they are good/legit. You never know, but I would think that the same thing applies.

Basenotes Junkie

I recently saw a listing on Amazon for Midnight in Paris EDP for around $60. Great price, but I passed on it because I was sure I would have received the edt and not the edp. The price was just too good to be true.

Basenotes Plus

I received a leaky bottle of Dior Homme from Amazon a while back. I called them up and they refunded me no questions asked and I did not even have to return the bottle. However I am not sure how it would work through a seller on their site. If you cannot work it out with them I would give Amazon a call and see if they can facilitate something.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Not receiving the item presented for sale and you paid for trumps any non-return rule Amazon has in place. Contact Amazon for a return/refund. This is pretty basic. I do not believe that Amazon would not allow such to be returned. Let them do the thinking about how to fix the problem.
    Last edited by kbe; 30th December 2012 at 12:41 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I believe Amazon has a return center. You should also contact the seller on amazon and let them know of your dissatisfaction on the item you purchased.

Amazon has the best customer service I've ever dealt with. If you try reaching out to them, there's a good chance you'd get favorable results, no matter what their terms of service stipulates. Just recently, I bought a $10 mp3 album from them and it accidentally charged my credit card (I wanted the charge to go on a gift card I had instead). I called them up, and they told me they don't give returns for mp3's; however, they gave me a full refund instead. So I ended up being able to keep the mp3 album and get a full refund.

Figuring it wouldn't be right for me to have a free album out of this ordeal, I tried to purchase it again, this time with my gift card, but it still didn't charge it (said that since I already bought it, it won't charge again). Thus, I ended up with a free mp3 album. I've yet to be disappointed by Amazon customer service. I'm hopeful your situation won't be different.

Have to agree with CaliDude. Amazon's service is second to none and I've never had a problem returning anything. I've had 4 situations where either my item wasn't delivered or it wasn't the item pictured and every time I received a refund within 48 hours. Also if your a prime member it's even easier and they almost never ask you to return the product even if you receive it at a later date.

I've gotten frags directly from Amazon, and have received refunds. They won't take back fragrances, unless a mis-guided/ignorant employee(s) perhaps.

But, you got it from a seller THROUGH Amazon? That's different.

Generally when I do purchases for frags with Amazon, I go for ones shipped by and from Amazon/BE/Fragnet/maybe whatever else seems legit. A lot of other sellers I'm skeptical about and don't even bother.

Deal with the seller first and if dissatisfied escalate to Amazon, which will make things right regardless of the seller's policies. If the seller causes enough escalations, they are removed from Amazon's site.

Your receipt should indicate specifically what you bought, so it should be no big deal to correct this. Amazon does not want bottles returned unless you abuse the system. They will either replace it or refund your money at no extra cost to you.