Code of Conduct

Default New guy in need of advice.

Hey people just looking for advice on how to make my self more attractive, I suppose I've struggled with my looks for years, not the best looking of boys but maybe that's due to me not making enough effort, anyway was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to point out things I could do to myself.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: New guy in need of advice.

This is hard to answer without pics, but obviously that may be difficult (although a bar over the eyes can be photoshopped in easily enough...)

In the absence of those, can you be more specific?

Anyway, my advice is, simply, the old remedies are the best: a short haircut, clean-shaven face and smart clothes can work wonders.

Two tips:
    1. Get a nose & ear hair trimmer.
    2. Good shoes. Don't buy nice clothes and wear ratty shoes with them, it ruins everything.

My quick, but equally honest and direct advice would be:

simply find out what works best for you. Goes for fashion, outfits worn, accessories, cosmetics (or lack/non-use/dislike for certain ones), also certain dieting habits, grooming routines etc.
    It's a passionate, sometimes painstakingly long and demanding process, yet it should not lead to the results which are good-looking, but also fun and comfortable for you.
    Find out if you like to dress more casually or formally (or both), if certain cosmetic/grooming/body care products go well with your skin type, your age, your daily schedule in general - and from here onwards, more specific advice may follow.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Good shoes. Don't buy nice clothes and wear ratty shoes with them, it ruins everything.
    Very true.

Thanks for the response guys. Appreciate it.

Personally my plan is at the moment is too put on some muscle because I'm 9.3 stone at 5,8 ft also I look quite pale :/

Where fashion is concerned I've never had a problem with that in fact I'm quite good at picking out nice clothes for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby_lad_22 View Post
    Thanks for the response guys. Appreciate it.

Personally my plan is at the moment is too put on some muscle because I'm 9.3 stone at 5,8 ft also I look quite pale :/

Where fashion is concerned I've never had a problem with that in fact I'm quite good at picking out nice clothes for myself.
    If you join a gym you'll put the muscle on - but some people don't like that.

You can do it from home in two ways.
    Firstly, by using weights. Buy a couple of sets of dumbells, assorted weights from a proper exercise shop, and the book "Weight Training for Dummies" if you don't want to damage yourself by doing certain exercises listed in other books. Plus a book on posture (e.g. Perfect Posture in the Crunch series) and do its exercises, otherwise you wind up more muscly and more scrunched up - which defeats the purpose of looking good.

A second alternative is to buy a Bullworker, which have been around for decades. It quickly delivers more muscle in the first two months, but then things get harder. If you buy the latest version sold from the USA, you may have a hard time budging it. Easier to use, and far more versatile is the older X5 version still being sold from Germany on Ebay. Then join the Bullworker club on Yahoo for motivation. Again, you need to do posture exercises to avoid stooping neck and scrunched chest from the exercises.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th December 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks for the advice but I need to join a gym because I'm going back into rugby so I have to be able to go through programs so my strength and speed increase.

While you cannot change your face barring surgery, you can do a few things to make youself more attractive.

Clean face! Acne and grime is not attractive. Hygeine extends to the rest of the body, including nails (but if u r on basenotes u wouldn't want body odor to interfere with you fragrance anyways..)

Good haircut. Not knowing your hair type, the classic high and tight always works.

Put together outfit. Clean, crisp, and matching clothes.

+1 Gym. A muscled body with little fat can make anybody overlook quite a bit of crab-face.

I look rather pale that's something that really hits my confidence I suppose, look ill or something. Is there anything I can do for that? Don't want to use sunbeds or fake tan so is there any natural things I can do?

Embrace the paleness, man - don't obsess about it. You're quite right in not wanting to go the fake tan route - it always looks a disaster. Once you've got a little bit of tone in those muscles, you'll look healthy, regardless of the color of your skin.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm 5'7" / 11 stone, and I gotta say, it looks pretty good on me.

Na I have to have a nice glow to me, being pale does not suit me people call me a smack head in banter etc... lol

Yeah 11 stone is my aim, I'm weighing 9,3 at the moment so it's well within my reach with enough commitment. Do you think the natural glow will come with the gain in muscle?

Basenotes Plus

Alternatively, go work on your personality. Healthy sense of humor, self-confidence, kindness, generosity and genuine interest in others are extremely attractive traits. An ugly guy with loads of charm almost always outscores the self-obsessed good-looker with the personality of a lettuce.

"Do you think the natural glow will come with the gain in muscle?"

I can only talk from experience, but it worked for me. I feel much better, so naturally I look much better.

I have a cracking personality to be honest. I really do like myself as a person. Just my confidence isnt there mainly because I was in a relationship 16 months ago and the end of it really knocked me.

The whole gaining weight thing is to boost my confidence. Apparently I have the gift of the gab so when I'm confident that will help me out.

I look rather pale that's something that really hits my confidence I suppose, look ill or something. Is there anything I can do for that? Don't want to use sunbeds or fake tan so is there any natural things I can do?
    Olive oil. In the movie West Side Story the female lead is a white chick that looks Puerto Rican because they oiled her down before every shot.

You could try a self tanning cream on the face.

Basenotes Plus

Attitude.

You can take care of your looks and make yourself as presentable as possible, but if you keep thinking that you are not attractive, all efforts will be pointless.

Mind your looks and appearance, but leave your concerns and self-critique behind once you get out the door to go out into the world.

Check out melanotan 2. Heard it is AMAZING for pale lads like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetdaddy View Post
    Check out melanotan 2. Heard it is AMAZING for pale lads like yourself.
    Unfortunately it might also be injurious to health, which is why regulatory bodies in the US and Europe advise against using it:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanotan_II

Unlicensed and untested powders sold as "melanotan II" are found on the Internet[4] and are reported to be used by thousands of members of the general public. Multiple regulatory bodies have warned consumers the peptides may be unsafe and ineffective in usage with one regulatory agency warning that consumers who purchase any product labeled "melanotan" risk buying a counterfeit drug.

true...everything comes with a risk. i have used it for years without a problem. my sister has too without any problems. worth it to me.

Yes, there is something you can do!!! If you are pale color, try clothing that brings out warmth in your face. Stay far away from cool colors. The next time you are in a store trying on a polo shirt, pick a black, brown, yellow, ect. Try them all on, paying specific attention to how it brings color to your face.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a cracking personality to be honest. I really do like myself as a person. Just my confidence isnt there mainly because I was in a relationship 16 months ago and the end of it really knocked me.

The whole gaining weight thing is to boost my confidence. Apparently I have the gift of the gab so when I'm confident that will help me out.
    Being thankful for what you have and thanking God for giving it to you is powerful. God will give you more when you focus on him. Focus on the good. Forget the bad. And help people. You will be blessed in no time!

I have a teenage daughter who has sort of low self esteem. My wife and I always tell her to smile and look people in the eye. It gives you an air of confidence and a genuine smile can make anybody look attractive.

Basenotes Member

Making yourself more attractive is apparently a good idea. It must be started by cleaning up your physical appearance. Make a habit to always look yourself at the mirror. Having a glowing skin will definitely make you more attractive. You can do this by eating fruits and vegetables. Furthermore, having a pearly white teeth make people more attractive. It is one of the sign of good genetics. You need to be brood little more as this is more attractive for men. If you have beards then always shave it. Make it a habit of taking a deep breath and relax!

I'll echo what was already said, and what's worked for me for years and what I always tell others--gym, gym, gym.

Start going every day. Lift weights followed by cardio. Low body fat + some muscle > almost anything else you can do or buy for yourself. Don't forget hygeine.

After that start looking at/for your wardrobe. Forgot brands and all that crap. Look for fit. I have some clothes that look ten times better than my clothes that were ten times as expensive because it's the fit that accentuates your phsyique.

Once you've done these you'll find that your personality and confidence naturally flows from it and builds.

Lastly, don't forget to get in the habit of doing things right in your life. Even the little things. Making sure things are done correctly is another great habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Alternatively, go work on your personality. Healthy sense of humor, self-confidence, kindness, generosity and genuine interest in others are extremely attractive traits. An ugly guy with loads of charm almost always outscores the self-obsessed good-looker with the personality of a lettuce.
    This.