Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default M7 Original Blind Buy?

I'm tempted to blind buy the M7 Original @ $110. Do you guys think its worth it? I really want to try it since I've heard so much about it. I would think that it would smell ultra sexy masculine, powerhouse scent, Which i don't think i have any of in my collection (although i may get puredistance M). Most of my scents are more on the sophisticated side or just slightly spicy (i.e. aventus) Thoughts? Should I do it?

Default Re: M7 Original Blind Buy?

Sure. Go for it.

No, sample first.

Vintage M7 $2/ml here..

http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....highlight=yves

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    No, sample first.

Vintage M7 $2/ml here..

http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....highlight=yves
    I agree.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Definitely sample. I personally don't put it in the masculine powerhouse category. I wear it. Actually, I'm wearing it right now.

Blog Entries

Vintage M7 is one of my favorites, but it is a very risky blind buy, unless you've tried something similar in notes. As previously posted, sample first if you can find it. $110 for 100ml isn't a bad deal for this masterpiece.

I did it myself, no regrets really, it's an amazing scent.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I bought it blind buy and I like it very much. However, I would not recommend this fragrance as a blind buy to anyone. It has an extremely harsh opening, doesn't bother me, which I think will put many people off. It is old school, which I love, but many frag heads do not appreciate.

If it's easily affordable for you then yes go for it. Even if you don't like it you'll get to experience a pretty unique fragrance - probably the last one from YSL. If not I suggest you sample first.

You need to like woods and you need to like some fruity sweetness (cherry). If so, it should be no problem, otherwise, try first.

cacio

For a vintage bottle your going to be paying $160 plus all day long. I've seen the reform go for around $100 which I think is what you'll receive. If it's the vintage then it's absolutely worth it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

m7 is a scent that i love very much, but im not sure if it gets high marks for versatility or wearability.

also, its love or hate. you may not like it. but i sure do!

Overcome By Fumes

First of all, never buy something you haven't smelled, unless money means nothing to you, since there is no reviewer in the world who can reliably predict if you will like it.

Second, If you must ignore the above advice, you could do worse than M7.

Banned
    Blog Entries

^

yeah , dont spend any money on a blind buy that you won't regret losing.

Basenotes Plus

Ok i just bit the bullet, lol I hope i like it =P Thanks for the advice guys =)

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlz View Post
    Like NoirDrakkar said it's not the most versatile, but for this time of year it's fantastic. If it's the vintage you got a bargain.

The blind buy calculus is simple:

1) assume you won't like the fragrance you are blind buying

2) make a calculation as to the resale value of the bottle on eBay, considering how much an equivalent bottle has sold for recently (and be sure to subtract sellers fees and PayPal fees). If the bottles on eBay aren't moving at all, don't blind buy.

3) the difference between what you paid and what you receive when you resell the bottle is the amount you are paying to "test" the fragrance by buying a bottle

4) compare the "test" cost to the price of a 5ml sample or decant of the fragrance from eBay or some other decant vendor like the Perfumed Court

5) if the "test" cost is less, buy the bottle. If the decant/sample cost is less, then go that route

Remember, a "bargain" bottle of a fragrance that you are ambivalent towards is no bargain. It just sucks up money you could spend on something you know you love

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlz View Post
    The majority of people who responded to your thread told you NOT to blind buy this fragrance, yet you went ahead and did it anyway. Seems like you were going to buy it no matter what we said, so why even bother making this thread?

Overcome By Fumes

People who start threads like this ALWAYS buy.

You get that itch that you might like something and all the elements of the universe start to goad you on. You get excited enough you can scarcely hold back, but there's a hint of doubt. Hmm...maybe post the question on basenotes? By this point, it's already too late. The run down the diving board has begun, yet the surface of the water has not yet been breached. It will be.

The real question is why we bother to answer them.

Basenotes Plus

Hey Guys, I actually do take your responses seriously and I wasn't ignoring them at all. I was on the fence about blind buying it and then a couple of you did recommend that i go for it, especially if I like woods and cherry. and what really convinced me was that silent rich said that if its the vintage than its absolutely worth it. At that point i had already contacted for the samples provided the link (thanks jive hippo!), but i figured with the holidays i probably wont hear back till later. So I weighted my options and budget and decided to get it =P

But yeah, please don't think I don't value your responses. You guys have been a great help! Especially Jive Hippo thank you, your link for the samples was really really helpful (i hope to get samples of D&G BY man from that, which i've been looking for =) )

Overcome By Fumes

I did not mean any disrespect. And despite the many recommendations not to buy without smelling it first, most people agreed it is a good fragrance at a good price. My hunch is you are going to like it. If not, well, I'd be willing to pay the postage for you to dump it to me.

My point was that I've almost never seen somebody declare they have been talked out of purchase after a thread like this. Perhaps the archivists can find me a counter example?

Enjoy!

I have bought it blind. While I don't regret it, I would say is the best I have acquired. Definitely try to sample first, you will always find someone who wants to sell his

I think it is not worth it. I would rather buy the modernized M7 Oud Absolu, which has the same amount of Oud as the vintage, but doesn't have the cough syrup topnote.

Seriously ..the m7 costs 110 $ ? :S

Normally I would say always sample first, but for a popular vintage frag like M7, you can easily resell it if you don't like it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

M7 is my favorite designer of all time, but not everyone will enjoy it as much as I do.

Sample first.