Code of Conduct

Thread: Synesthesia

Default Synesthesia

After trying out Enchanted Forest yesterday for the first time, with its vivid scent-imagery, I got to thinking. How many here experience some level of Synesthesia? Do you get impressions of colors, images, sounds, places, etc. with scent? (other than memories, I mean).

It seems to me that some of the more evocative scents are aimed at this sort of thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of people in the fragrance community who can appreciate a "purple" fragrance, for instance.

Default Re: Synesthesia

Oh wow! I don't think I have it in the strictest sense...I get more of an impression of a color, sound, sight etc. from different things. (for instance, in my mind, Wednesday is orange.)

I think a lot of creative type people are like this, and I don't think it's all that "weird" or "unusual" (if it is I wouldn't change a thing. My Burt's Bees lotion smells like a cloud of golden fields and sunshine, and I would be missing out on that right this minute!!! How sad that would be!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    Do you get impressions of colors, images, sounds, places, etc. with scent? (other than memories, I mean).
    For me - the associations are only linked to memories.

I have synesthesia. I "map" time, and letters and numbers have colors and personalities.

But in terms of taste and smell, no.

Most of my synesthesia-type events involve sounds rather than smells. This is perhaps because I am a musician. The smells usually involve some sort of memory association.

I've had full-blown synesthesia ever since I can remember, and I love it! It's like having my own private cinema playing in the back of my mind all the time. I can focus on the sensations if I wish to, or put them to one side. I get sounds, colours, scents and tastes, all triggering each other in various ways. Every letter of the alphabet has a different colour, and words combining them are like rainbows. Music is incredible! But sometimes it can put me off - for example, there are some people and places I can't spend time with because their name evokes a very unpleasant taste or smell.
    I have written papers on the subject for my psychology degree, and have been used as an "example" for demonstrations. Fragrances are wonderful, but again, can bring out a somewhat discordant colour combination or sound. Caron scents always evoke soft colours and rich textures, whereas Tauers can be somewhat harsh and/or murky.
    I think most people's brains are like this as babies, but as we grow, the majority learn to tune it out. I never did, and I'm glad. Someone I know took acid when we were students, and what he described was the way I experience everything, with the difference that I can tune into it or reduce it whenever I need to.
    Francis Galton was the first scientist to study the phenomenon, and there have been numerous artists and writers who have it.
    Each synaesthete seems to have an entirely individual response. For me, all "a" sounds are green, whilst "e" is blue, "i" is black, "o" is red, and "u" is ochre. So painting it would seem futile, since nobody else would respond in the same way.
    My enjoyment of my frags is greatly enhanced by this.
    Incidentally, many psychologists class it amongst so-called "thinking disorders"!

I was part of a local university study for my synesthesia. The researcher told me for a long time it was considered a form of autism.

I've been this way since I can remember and, in fact, believed everyone was this way. I only learned in my late thirties that this wasn't so, that synesthetes are in the minority.