Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let's talk about (gasp) Cool water

Ok so let me preface this by saying that somehow, I've never actually smelled cool water before. Apparently I've been living under a rock or something. Anyways, obviously CW gets a lot of hate on here, perhaps more than any other fragrance. I've heard that it smells quite similar to GIT. I'm sure the experienced nose could easily tell the difference, but the overwhelming opinion seems to be that they smell quite similar. So, how is it possible that 2 similar smelling scents have such drastically different reputations? One is universally praised and the other is ridiculed. I think that there are 2 main reasons that people hate Cool Water other than the scent itself. 1) It's a complete knock off of an older, better quality scent. 2) It has been very common in the past, and often associated with douchebags. Anyways I guess the point of this thread is to ask you, how do you feel about the actual SCENT of CW? try to throw negative associations aside regarding 1) and 2)...I'd like to invest in a fresh scent for spring, but it's hard to justify spending 10 times the money on a scent that is 25% better (at this point, at least). Anyways so to conclude this unnecessarily long post, let me know how you feel about the scent, and whether or not you think it deserves all the hate it gets. Thanks.

Default Re: Let's talk about (gasp) Cool water

It was an innovation in it's time but it now smells very cheap and familiar: the main ingredient, Calone is omnipresent in a huge range of products from deodrants, air fresheners, shampoo and hundreds of cleaning products. It's been assimulated and absorbed into the culture.

Cool Water doesn't smell bad or anything. It just smells very synthetic and chemically. It dries down nicely though.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Do you guys think Azzaro Chrome would be a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Cool Water doesn't smell bad or anything. It just smells very synthetic and chemically. It dries down nicely though.
    Agree.

I grew up wearing Cool Water and still own a bottle along with GIT. Even though some may call it dated I love the scent. It's more synthetic and harsher than GIT, but for the price it's really unbeatable.

Nothing wrong with CW, it's hated more than ADG on here. F**k that, if you like it, wear it. Azzaro Chrome is also nice. I've been trying a lot of summer frags lately and the best new ($20) frag I've found is Nautica Voyage. This is where BN is such a great resource. Who knows if I would have ever took the time to try as I have not been a fan of Nautica till now. BN'ers showed this one so much love I thought I would try it. Guess what, they're right !!!!!

It's not my type of frag, but I don't mind smelling it when other people are wearing it.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I think it smells ok. I just don't want to wear it. Le Male also gets a lot of hate on here, but my wife loves that, so I keep a bottle.

I like it, used to love it. It's a little synthetic, and to me dated. Probably wouldn't buy a bottle any time soon, but don't mind smelling it.

Now that I own GIT and am getting familiar with it, I am interested in trying CW again. I remember CW having nice topnotes but the drydown as being more synthetic and unlike GIT. Anyway I will give it another go and report back.

Basenotes Plus

People tend to exaggerate. I seriously doubt most of them 'hate' cool water. There's really no legitimate reason to hate it.
    For Swap
    YSL Body Kouros (3.3oz w/ box) * Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male (2.5oz w/ can) * L'Instant de Guerlain EDT (4.2oz w/ box) (all bottles 90%+)

Looking For (not limited to)
    YSL Live Jazz * Chanel Egoiste

Get a discount bottle of GIT online. It aint that expensive at all, only if you pay retail.

A burger from a 5-star restaurant is "similar" to a BigMac, but...

I wear this on a regular basis. I still have plenty of time for it.

Sound Scents

Personally I think the Big Mac versus a 5 star restaurant analogy is way over-the-top. Cool Water is a very pleasant scent that I would have no problem wearing, and did for many years when it first came out. I own and prefer the original (GIT), but I have no hate at all for Cool Water.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I find it a very good fragrance, with a great longevity (10+ hours) for a fresh fragrance.

People compliment me 8 hours later, when i cant smell nothing more on me.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Personally I think the Big Mac versus a 5 star restaurant analogy is way over-the-top. Cool Water is a very pleasant scent that I would have no problem wearing, and did for many years when it first came out. I own and prefer the original (GIT), but I have no hate at all for Cool Water.
    Of course it's over the top - to a degree.

But having discovered GIT, wearing it for a year, and then coming back and giving CW a wearing, I laughed. It's sorta in the same ballpark, but nowhere near. It's not a "fragrance snob" thing, I love and wear quite a few designer scents, it's just the truth - they're not in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Get a discount bottle of GIT online. It aint that expensive at all, only if you pay retail.
    For someone relatively new to fragrances like myself, $170 for a single bottle IS expensive. Who knows though, maybe I will get a sample and it will blow me away.

In Croatia not overworn at all and my number one compliment getter! When starting threads like this one must put under consideration where is he from culturally. For instance, in Croatia Le Male, 1 million, Armani Code, Joop! Pour Homme etc. are overworn. Davidoff Cool Water - not one bit.

I like it. It's not that bad

Blog Entries

I wore it back in the day before I knew about GIT. Just like I wore Joop before I knew about OS
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

I love Cool Water & have no problem admitting it Personally, I own both, and actually prefer CW over Green Irish Tweed. I prefer the lavender/peppermint topnotes over GIT's loud violet leaves and I dislike ambergris, so I also prefer CW's mossy/musky drydown over GIT's ambergris.

With that being said though; my favorite fragrance from this fresh fougere genre, by far, is Bond No 9's Chez Bond. I prefer it over both GIT and CW. To me, Chez Bond is closer to CW than GIT, but has better ingredients, better longevity, and is even a bit sweeter. (all pluses in my book). I tend to like Bond scents quite a bit though. To me they are more like "designer scents on steroids". (They aren't as odd as many niche houses, but instead they take familiar, mass appeal scents and present them with the best ingredients (even if they are synthetics), and awesome edp longevity.

Anyway, I love the fresh/fougere genre, and personally if I were ranking these by my favorites, it would be
    1. Chez Bond
    2. Cool Water
    3. Green Irish Tweed

I love the way Cool Water smells on other people; my dad used to wear it from time to time. I wish I could wear it better, but it just doesn't smell great on me like it does on other people. I will try it again in the future though.

Personally , I find Swiss Army and Wings very similar to Cool Water and like them more.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

tested CW again yesterday and it seems so watered down compared with back in the 90s. If you like it then wear it. I have moved on though.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    It was an innovation in it's time but it now smells very cheap and familiar: the main ingredient, Calone is omnipresent in a huge range of products from deodrants, air fresheners, shampoo and hundreds of cleaning products. It's been assimulated and absorbed into the culture.
    Actually I don't get any Calone at all from Cool Water. It's got tons of dihydromyrcenol though -- the cheap industrial metallic-floral. Calone is much more aquatic. I was under the impression that Acqua di Gio was the one that really popularized Calone.

I dislike dihydromyrcenol a lot, so CW is not for me. I also dislike GIT, Chez Bond, and all the CW copycats for the same reason.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool Water is an excellent scent. I'd say it's the EDT version of GIT, after another company hypothetically bought out Creed and started reformulating all their fragrances.

If you're looking to approximate this sort of GIT-type fresh fougere, I suggest you give Coty's Aspen a look first. It's cheaper and the far drydown is much closer to GIT than the opening of Cool Water is.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Cool Water is an excellent scent. I'd say it's the EDT version of GIT, after another company hypothetically bought out Creed and started reformulating all their fragrances.

If you're looking to approximate this sort of GIT-type fresh fougere, I suggest you give Coty's Aspen a look first. It's cheaper and the far drydown is much closer to GIT than the opening of Cool Water is.
    Forgot about Aspen. To my nose it was a piney version of Cool Water.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread so apologies if this has already been addressed :

Is Cool Water Gasp the newest flanker ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Cool Water is best designer scent. Best Value for money.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

It does not deserve the hate, i think not any scent deserve to be hated. It's a well made fragrance, which is beautifully fresh and marine-like. Davidoff has succeeded to create the association to cool, blue water. It's not my top favourites, though. Might use it sometime in the summer.

I own a bottle from 1994 and that's what i like, and the truth is, that i won't buy a current formulation, because it simply smells worse.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I didn't read all the posts in this thread so apologies if this has already been addressed :

Is Cool Water Gasp the newest flanker ?
    That's summer 2013.

I bought Cool Water on a blind buy having never smelling it before. I think it is a wonderful fragrance. I have never smelled Creed Green Irish Tweed. I think I will now to see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmilk View Post
    For someone relatively new to fragrances like myself, $170 for a single bottle IS expensive. Who knows though, maybe I will get a sample and it will blow me away.
    You can get a bottle for $100 easily.

I wear Cool Water every day - since I bought six tubes of Cool Water aftershave balm for a dollar each - and am using them up. While I have a bottle of the EDT, I don't use it much. If anything, I like the smell of Cool Water better on others than I do on myself.

I much prefer Azzaro Chrome as a fresh scent, which I beg to differ with you about - it is more hated here than Cool Water. While it is trashed in the same way as Cool Water, the number of responses saying it is okay is way smaller than those for Cool Water.

I recently used up most of a 125ml bottle of Green Irish Tweed (I gave the dregs to my nephew to test out). It's a rich, fantastic scent which smells nothing much like Cool Water when a direct side by side comparison is made. Fortunately, I still have another two bottles of it.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolinist View Post
    People tend to exaggerate. I seriously doubt most of them 'hate' cool water. There's really no legitimate reason to hate it.
    Couldn't agree more. I don't mean to be rude and this is just my opinion, but it's possible that when some people (I said "some"!) remark that something's "synthetic", they're just looking at the price tag or the house. A.k.a. they're full of crap. Again, just my personal opinion, I completely accept that maybe I'm not educated enough to distinguish synthetics from the real thing.

First, see my blog to read about my ideas on the uniqueness of CW. Second, I don't find CW to be similar to GIT, other than a few things you find in a large percentage of "mainstream" frags marketed to men. Third, there is something irritating in CW was has led me not to want to wear it, but I don't find it "bad" in any way (perhaps I have a vintage version and there is a significant difference). Just like Smalto (1998), I can appreciate it but I don't want to wear it. One last thing: I am surprised few have mentioned the obvious tobacco note in CW.

Double

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    You can get a bottle for $100 easily.
    If that's true, I'd definitely consider buying a bottle. Where do you buy from?

tbh to me the only difference is the drydown, CW is synthetic were as GIT isn't

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolinist View Post
    This is a quite ridiculous and inaccurate statement. Opinions are, by definition, neither legitimate nor illegitimate.

CW is a very good fragrance for the preson that is not serious about this hobby!!! Once You've sampled and smelled many different brands from many different Houses CW sort of falls by the way side.....Do I like CW? Yes!!! I think there are better and more interesting scents out there!!! Will I keep CW? Yes!!! Nice price and a nice smell.....how can one go wrong with this!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    This is a quite ridiculous and inaccurate statement. Opinions are, by definition, neither legitimate nor illegitimate.
    I think what he meant to say is that a lot of the time, when people express their hatred for Cool water, they are not being honest with themselves. Maybe they want to hate it. Maybe they hate the idea of it or the imitation that brought it in to existence, but they don't actually hate the scent itself. That's what I think he means, anyways.

imo at the end of the day, CW is a good fragrance. I remember when I was in high school back in the day, I used to rock this, and the ladies loved it. At the time it was unique, fresh nothing like it. Also tbh I still wear it every now and then even though I have GIT.

CooL WaTeR is a MUST Have! A nice a cheap StuFFFFFFFFFF

You should be banned for starting a thread on Cool Water. J/K

If you like Cool Water than you will definitely love Wings. Imagine Cool Water on steroids, with superb longevity and projection.
    It´s kind of hard to find it now days but if you´re a Cool Water fan you should give it a shot. Did I mention the beautiful bottle?

The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by _Enigma_ View Post
    Personally , I find Swiss Army and Wings very similar to Cool Water and like them more.
    Swiss Army Mountain Water?

I agree, and I also like it much better than CW. Not a hater, but the calone is a make or break note for me
    "The most beautiful sea hasn’t been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasn’t grown up yet. The most beautiful days we haven’t seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I haven’t said yet…"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    imo at the end of the day, CW is a good fragrance....
    Hi,

I would like to know if Cool Water is a good fragrance at the beginning of the day? Also, how about the middle of the day ?

Thanks in advance !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Hi,

I would like to know if Cool Water is a good fragrance at the beginning of the day? Also, how about the middle of the day ?

Thanks in advance !
    Hello, my friend. When I said "at the end of the day" it was a matter of speach. CW is a great fragrance for the price. You can where wear it anytime of the day. The ladies love it.

Cool Water is excellent. Always liked it and it hasn't become as dated as my other childhood favorites (Polo Sport, Nautica Competition, Hugo, Bowling Green) i rarely wear it but will always hold onto my bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by M.David View Post
    CooL WaTeR is a MUST Have! A nice a cheap StuFFFFFFFFFF
    kUL w4T4hs d4H 5h1T

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Cool Water is excellent. Always liked it and it hasn't become as dated as my other childhood favorites (Polo Sport, Nautica Competition, Hugo, Bowling Green) i rarely wear it but will always hold onto my bottle.
    Polo Sport stills popular, but I dont like it that much

Actually people continue to compliment me with Cool Water 14 hours later application, fantastic.
    A fresh fragrance that lasts more than some EDPs oriental bomb fragrances.

But unfortunatly 5 hours later i cant smell nothing at all. Dont know why, its one of the few (3 or 4) fragrances that causes olfactory fatigue on me.

Cool Water is only ridiculed because it and it's copycats are so big and everywhere. GIT isn't even 25% better at 10x the price, but that basically defines Creed imo. I'm convinced if someone would put Creed's fragrances (except MI) into drab bottles with the name of a drab company on them and priced them from $30-70 no one would want them.

i wore coolwater in the 90s bought it again a few years back so no hate here but i do like copycats for that reason. i don't want coolwater but just something similar. i love git and aspen too..

ooh i wonder if cw has a great flanker bners are fondof?

I think Cool Water is an incredible fragrance. I actually prefer the current version to the original because I find it drier, greener smelling, and less sweet. It is not an aquatic, though it spawned a lot of them. It's a fresh, very green fougere that is perfectly balanced. I love it and w
    ear it fairly often.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I think Cool Water is an incredible fragrance. I actually prefer the current version to the original because I find it drier, greener smelling, and less sweet. It is not an aquatic, though it spawned a lot of them. It's a fresh, very green fougere that is perfectly balanced. I love it and wear
    it fairly often.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I actually do dislike Cool Water, and any fragrance with calone in it; it is cloying to me in even tiny doses, and is overwhelmingly metallic and unbalanced to me. Maybe I've got a sensitivity to it or something, but it's all I can smell in Cool Water, GIT, Aspen, Nautica Voyage, etc...