Code of Conduct

Default The first time you smelled GIT.....

So I am getting in the mail in a short couple of days two vials of GIT. I am trying not to get too hyped out about it, but am very excited! So tell me, what do you think the first time you inhaled? Also is this an "everyday" type? nighttime? I just went ahead and ordered the sample because of all the positive reviews...

Default Re: The first time you smelled GIT.....

I didn't like it. Thought it smelled very "typical." Then I wore it a few times and found it to be much softer and more sophisticated on my skin. So I guess now I enjoy it but I'm certainly not crazy about it.

Overcome By Fumes

I'm sure the positives will jump in soon, and I admire that you have tested the water with samples rather than plunged in with a whole bottle, but I remember it smelling very leafy green and a bit "gritty" and how can I say "stiff"(?). It smelled well put together, but not really something I wanted to wear.

Banned
    Blog Entries

the first time i smelled GIT, i was blown away, amazed, and taken aback by the opening (especially that lemon note).

i liked the longevity and drydown too.

but due to batch variations, i can see why other people may not have had the same experience.

I liked it from the get go.

The first time I smelled it, it was from a sample vial during a storm. It was cold, rainy, and very windy. It was persistent though, and I loved the lemon verbena. It's so fresh and lemony, while at the same time not overpowering. Then, it progressed into a bouquet of "green." This name is perfectly suited for this fragrance, since it is quite literally the epitome of green. But, don't let the freshness and green feel fool you, there is some spiciness to GIT, mostly in the form of that sort of herbal spice (I know that's not a correct term, but roll with it) of bay leaf or basil, or even cilantro. Not to say these notes appear, I'm just saying that's the vibe I get to compliment the fresh and lemony opening.

If you give it some time, you'll most likely love it.

GIT is the ultimate in versatility and works in any situation. Pleasing.

This one didn't blow me away at first. The more I wear it the better it gets. Just a high quality awesome scent. Another winner by Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by scentnoobie View Post
    So tell me, what do you think the first time you inhaled?
    Expensive Cool Water

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The first time I smelled GIT I fell in love with the opening. Creamy, clean, fresh. It is a nice, gentle manly fragrance. A staple in my fragrance wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Expensive Cool Water
    Typical post in a GIT thread is typical.

I smelled CW before I smelled GIT since it was moderately popular in my school alongside AdG, and I've never smelled the similarity. Their both green and fresh, yes, but otherwise I don't see it. Not to mention the awful synthetic notes in CW make it unwearable to me at least.

I haven't smelled CW in like 15 years, since I don't particularly like the scent so I don't know how much it was reformulated, if it was. But when I tried GIT it immediately reminded of CW I know from when I wore it in high school. A little smoother and more natural, but still Cool Water. I have a sample of GIT right now and this is still what I think of it.

To each his own!

Apply liberally. Then go back and smell your shirt the next day. That will tell you what you need to know about GIT.

An everyday fragrance? Of course. Perfect for anything, actually.

Basenotes Plus

Loved it and still do. GIT plays a significant part in my fragrant journey. Basenotes sparked my interest, it was the first niche fragrance I ever purchased, and have never been without a bottle since.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I haven't smelled CW in like 15 years, since I don't particularly like the scent so I don't know how much it was reformulated, if it was. But when I tried GIT it immediately reminded of CW I know from when I wore it in high school. A little smoother and more natural, but still Cool Water. I have a sample of GIT right now and this is still what I think of it.

To each his own!
    This is a very fair comparison, as the vintage Cool Water from back then did indeed smell very close to it. That was my first impression too when I smelled GIT for the first time (as the Cool Water I wore as a teen was from when it was first released before the reformulation(s)). In my case though, I liked Cool Water plenty (and still do in its original form). GIT is also excellent, IMO. People really should not be offended with its comparison to vintage Cool Water as that is an incredible scent.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

While I sensed a certain similarity with Cool Water, I was also stunned by the sheer beauty of this scent, light, casual, without thus becoming less refined.

Off the bat I didn't really like, and then when it dried down... wow. It was out of this world, but for some reason I completely forgot that Coolwater sort of smelt like it, it was the last thing on my mind, because GIT is just so much more superior.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    This is a very fair comparison, as the vintage Cool Water from back then did indeed smell very close to it. That was my first impression too when I smelled GIT for the first time (as the Cool Water I wore as a teen was from when it was first released before the reformulation(s)). In my case though, I liked Cool Water plenty (and still do in its original form). GIT is also excellent, IMO. People really should not be offended with its comparison to vintage Cool Water as that is an incredible scent.
    Well said. To add, although there are similarities to the latest rendition of CW, it ends pretty quickly. As drseid said, when compared to the original CW from way back when, which I still own, they are very close, but not close enough to not own both.

Banned
    Blog Entries

As for the Cool Water comparisons, both sides (the people who say that CW and GIT are far apart and the people who say they are near identical) are correct to a degree.

It depends on where you apply it, how long it is applied for, your skin (and which ingredients project on it). I find that Cool Water vintage smells a lot like the opening of GIT. I find that Cool Water (current release) smells more like GIT's drydown.

In the end, Cool Water is a great fragrance in its own right and adapts a lot of the greatest qualities that GIT has, and it's worth buying if you are on a budget, but Green Irish Tweed is significantly better and it's well worth the purchase if you collect fragrances.

I was immediately taken with GIT when I first smelled it. The opening was, and still is, one of the best to me, and it also has one of the best drydowns as well. Very versatile fragrance and still one of my all-time favorites! A true classic from Creed!

Sampled it on paper, and didn't really fall in love with it.

I am going to get trashed for this I'm sure but I just got my samples in the mail and all I can think of is Aspen.....I used to wear it years ago 10+...I had just gotten a bottle of Aspen again just a day ago... I have them side by side. One on one arm the other on the other, and the openings are startlingly similair. The one thing is the Aspen seems like a version of GIT with more "kick" but wow....Aspen is so cheap!!! I just got two Aspen 1.7oz sprays in a xmas giftset on clearance at my local Walgreens for 7.50 usd. That didnt even buy the .05oz sample of GIT...Is Aspen really poor mans GIT?

I was amazed!

Great green scent with a touch of fruit that makes it super versatile. Wear day, night, and all year round- it's that versatile. Others will smell it long after you cannot. It is not scary or different. It is classic and well crafted. It smells expensive.

To those who say it is Cool Water done better, I have say HARUMPH!
    Cool Water is a ripoff of GIT, and a poor one at that.

Cool Water= synthetic and soapy.
    GIT= fresh and awesome.

its extremely versatile and can be worn every day if you choose. the opening smells very "green" and natural. in my opinion the drydown is one of the best.

Dug it, didn't get the Cool Water comparison, they are different, imo.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I've had my bottle for six months and it keeps getting better everytime I wear it. It started out as a good but not great scent and it's like it needed to age or something. I wore it yesterday and about 30 minutes in it developed into one of the best green, soapy, with a touch of lemon smells I've ever experienced.

First time i didn't have a big impression on GIT. I was having a cold But i started loving it more and more, especially the dry down. It is very versatile and lasts like 10 hours on skin and 48+ hours on shirt, projects well. I wear this to office a lot.. People love it.

Considering the rave on BN, it sets my expectations very high. It smelled good but not wow to me. On other hand, smelling Kilian Back to Black smelled great.

I didn´t like it and I still don´t.