Code of Conduct

Default Mona di Orio: Tubereuse - What Do We All Think?

So far I've been a bit hesitant about the Mona di Orio line given a rather hair-raising experience with Nuit Noire and Cuir, and somewhat neutral encounters with Ambre and Musc, so a dive into more recent territory with fragrances I've been really impressed by has made me do something of an about-face and grow really interested in the line.

I've had a quick sample wear of Tubereuse, and I find myself both very impressed yet also, unsure of whether it's me. I'm very much into va-va-voom florals of the big, luscious, room-filling, sultry kind, and Tubereuse is pretty much the opposite in the sense of being subtle, spring-like, or "twilight" as Mona herself put it, not the big aggressive animal tuberose.

Conversely, this is a really gorgeously done tuberose, not like one I've smelled before ( and I've smelled a LOT of tuberose frags ). This is not bland tuberose; this is not Fracas diluted. It's its own thing, rather green, rather creamy, very soft, exquisitely fine-grained, like an oil painting where you can't see the individual brush-strokes. Spring-green silk rather than the purple velvet of something like Poison.

The note list makes it look like a been-there, smelled-this tuberose ( pink pepper on top, coconut on the bottom ), but I urge anyone thinking that to give it a shot on its own merits. It's not Avante Garde, but it's unique: the note list is rather less accurate than the description.

Also, try it on skin. For some reason the blotter strip dried down to a weird pickle note ( go figure ), completely estranged from the well-behaved beauty on my skin.

So, Basenoters, your thoughts?

Default Re: Mona di Orio: Tubereuse - What Do We All Think?

Love it, own it, agree with much of what you said. It's unmistakably tuberose and yet not trying to be Fracas, which is quite an achievement. I'm a big fan of the gorgeous bergamot opening, too.

How does it compare to Caron's Tuberose?

- - - Updated - - -

Good to see you posting sugandaraja!

for swap/sale:

In my opinion, it's not that much alike. Caron Tubereuse is a lot thicker, heavier, has that weird thick creamy to sour herbal contrast that it makes it fun. Caron Tubereuse is in no sense "fresh", it's very perfumey, where as this Tubereuse is decisively "fresh" and much more natural-smelling. Both do share a certain green tinge and extrait feel, however, and a vetiver undertone.

Though the floral focus is different, and the approach here is somewhat more classically "French", but this is a bit like Comme des Garcons Champaca in its approach to a soliflore.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I already had this on my to-sniff list, which I was planning to fulfill on a particular date in the fall, but you're killing me here with trigger words: fresh, green, natural, soft, fine-grained, spring-like. Are you reading my mind or my diary? I couldn't describe any better how I'd like to have my florals. Thanks for driving home a point, Sugandaraja.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

Hi Suga ! Good to see you ! (((Hugs)))
    Mona's Tuberose is very different from other tuberoses - unique and it's gorgeous. The opening is very bergamot ( which I do also find sour- ish but in a good way ) and then the tuberose is wonderful but subtle and creamy .A long lasting scent for sure.
    Mona's scents are very dense and excellent quality .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Since we're here, can I just pipe up to add that Mona's Tubereuse is far, far better than the new Rose Etoile de Hollande. I tried that today and it's not working out for me at all.

Basenotes Institution

Oh Kagey - review please !! What is it you don't like with the new Etoile ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Oh Kagey - review please !! What is it you don't like with the new Etoile ?
    I don't really write reviews because I don't feel qualified! But I'll try and describe:

Just to say, I happen to love Mona perfumes: I have Oud, Musc, Tubereuse, and Nuit Noire, and wouldn't turn down a bottle of Vanille or Ambre. To me there's some note or base that they seem to have in common - Even the NN, which isn't part of the most current line. It's a creamy, warm, animalic thing.

The Rose/Etoile doesn't seem to have that. I can't place it. At first I had trouble smelling it on a strip; it was really light, but I was getting this faint rose that smelled a bit sour. Really, the rose reminded me of the smell of Cutex nail polish remover more than anything. So I tried it on my wrist and it wasn't much stronger, but the sourness was amplified. It actually smelled a bit off. And it felt like a pretty rose was trying to push through, but was drowned in something sour and sweaty, but not sweaty in a good way (if that makes any sense). It seemed disjointed, like the different parts of it weren't working together.

Fast forward about four and a half hours, and it's still there but incredibly faint, and now it's got a bit of that creaminess, almost a benzoin and/or vanilla and a lovely floral - which smells like carnation to me. This very far drydown is probably enough to make me try spraying it again, or asking for a sample at Les Senteurs next time. I ended up buying Tom of Finland

Basenotes Plus

Suga, I think your descriptions of scent here are spot on! Couldn't agree more, especially the Caron.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I don't really write reviews because I don't feel qualified! But I'll try and describe:

Just to say, I happen to love Mona perfumes: I have Oud, Musc, Tubereuse, and Nuit Noire, and wouldn't turn down a bottle of Vanille or Ambre. To me there's some note or base that they seem to have in common - Even the NN, which isn't part of the most current line. It's a creamy, warm, animalic thing.

The Rose/Etoile doesn't seem to have that. I can't place it. At first I had trouble smelling it on a strip; it was really light, but I was getting this faint rose that smelled a bit sour. Really, the rose reminded me of the smell of Cutex nail polish remover more than anything. So I tried it on my wrist and it wasn't much stronger, but the sourness was amplified. It actually smelled a bit off. And it felt like a pretty rose was trying to push through, but was drowned in something sour and sweaty, but not sweaty in a good way (if that makes any sense). It seemed disjointed, like the different parts of it weren't working together.

Fast forward about four and a half hours, and it's still there but incredibly faint, and now it's got a bit of that creaminess, almost a benzoin and/or vanilla and a lovely floral - which smells like carnation to me. This very far drydown is probably enough to make me try spraying it again, or asking for a sample at Les Senteurs next time. I ended up buying Tom of Finland
    Thanks Kagey ! Good to know this. How disappointing. I will wait for Nuit Noire to be relaunched . I am sure it will be eventually ! I didn't get Nuit Noire for a long while but I do now thanks to Larimar giving me a good sample sometime back.
    I think the tuberose note in Tubereuse is beautiful and the perfume on the whole ,is different enough from other tuberoses to warrant a full bottle.
    I think with Mona di Orios - the quality is just excellent.

Thanks for the responses all!

Quarry - do try it, it is worth your while. While not hugely alike, it's definitely a fragrance I'd recommend a Sabi fan try

I tried the new Rose on a paper strip ( in fact I have it beside me now ). I'm leery of judging before I've tried on skin given what happened with the Tubereuse strip, but I'm getting a rather lighter-in-style Nahema. Nahema and me are not friends, hence why I didn't try it on skin despite it being all new and exciting.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Quarry - do try it, it is worth your while. While not hugely alike, it's definitely a fragrance I'd recommend a Sabi fan try.
    So you have been reading my diary. That's okay, just don't tell DH about my John Barrowman crush.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

This is one tuberose scent I did not like when I tested it. I need to try it again before I form an opinion, but suffice to say I found it piercingly sharp and screechy when I tested it. It reminded me of the worst parts of Michael Kors amplified. Maybe I over applied it?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm surprised, given you're not shy of Big White Florals. I am not a fan of Michael Kors either, yet I really wouldn't relate the two...?

What kind of sharp - loud floral sharp or was it the green sharpness involved?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm surprised, given you're not shy of Big White Florals. I am not a fan of Michael Kors either, yet I really wouldn't relate the two...?

What kind of sharp - loud floral sharp or was it the green sharpness involved?
    I'll repost when I've sampled it again...this time I will spray a bit less.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've worn this a number of times this past week and have a somewhat peculiar relationship with it. There is a very odd note in the first thirty seconds - green, but green like dill rather than galbanum or limes. Then comes a waft of aldehydes and a rather withdrawn tuberose note, gradually leading to an accord of delicate tuberoses, smooth vetiver, and the driest coconut I've ever smelled. Really, this coconut makes every other coconut smell like dessert.

Though not loud, I almost feel in the "This fragrance is wearing me" category, in the sense that it feels very refined and sophisticated and probably would not hang out with me if it was a person. Definitely not at all a lush crowd-pleaser like Carnal Flower. It is introspective, but not in the eldritch Gothic duchess mode of Caron's Tubereuse. It's a professional, giving a speech on something complex and analytical and interesting. I'd say it's very Chanel but that would be reducing the fact that it's even more Mona di Orio.

Definitely a class act, yet somehow easier to admire than love.

I love Mona's Tubereuse, it is quite simply a masterpiece. The more I wear it the more I love it. It has perfect sillage, sitting at dinner with ceiling fan wafting it towards dh, he said 'you're killing me with that gorgeous scent' several times. And it has terrific longevity, can last a couple of days on clothing.

queen of the universe

Add to my try list (:
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Have any of you smelled Jill Sander No.4? A full-bodied classic tuberose. Could you compare it to that?
    This is on my to try list. I need to get a sample.

I am a big fan of Nuit Noir. I think you have to like an animalic/leather or it won't work for you.

I thought The new Rose was a lovely classic, somewhat green approach. Very lovely, I just don't need another rose. The Montale (Queen Roses, Petals) works better for me. It must be the aoud/tonka.

While I can definitely relate Jil Sander No. 4 to Nuit Noire ( in fact they seem to share a lot of "DNA" ), but neither of them to Tubereuse. Actually, there seems to have been a fundamental shift in style when I compare her old line to the Nombres d'Or I've smelled.

I've smelled quite a few tuberose fragrances and this one is really its own entity in spite of many familiar ingredients.

Tried this tonight. Proper wear.

I am not fond of the bergamot opening. It doesn't hinder the pleasure but nor does it add to it. Maybe I'm biased but I prefer not to associate citrus with flora.

There is no comparison, to answer my own question, between Caron's tuberose and Mona's tuberose.

It's not as intense as the Caron but neither is it as concentrated as Editions de Parfum's Carnal Flowernm

for swap/sale: