Code of Conduct

Default The One for Men Dolce&Gabbana

I'm really pissed off right now, I hate when this happens...

The One for Men Dolce&Gabbana is one of the best smelling fragrances at the moment, I truly think so. I don't know how many bottles I would buy if the scent was longer lasting and better projecting, it would probably be my signature scent, but it just doesn't last. At all!

So my question to you BNers is simply if there is a scent similar smelling to The One, with double the longevity, double the projection.

Thanks!

Default Re: The One for Men Dolce&Gabbana

I'm in the same boat as you, absolutely adore The One and think it smells amazing. But the projection and longevity is terrible.

I've heard of some companies that make fragrances that are identical to other fragrances on the market, but in EDP version. So you'll get a fragrance for example like The One, in Eau de Parfum. The prices are $35 for 50ml. So it's worth it.
    I've smelt a Tobacco Vanille copy, and I swear to you, it smells exactly the same and it also last 10+ hours.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

I wonder why noone ever tries or mentions The One Gentleman? It's practically the same but stronger and has a better longevity. I've also noticed that The One has become a hype suddenly on this forum.
    Last edited by Zgb; 30th December 2012 at 04:37 PM.

Try Zegna Forte.

I would kill for an EDP version.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

+1 on The One love. Absolutely wonderful fragrance. Until(?) they come out with an EDP, maybe you could just carry around an atomizer of it and reapply often.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

They don't call it THE ONE for nothing. IMO it's in a class by itself.

The one smell like tobacco vanille???? What?

Nvm lol

I feel bad for all of you, I get 6-7 hrs longevity.

Great scent, bad longevity for most. Including me. I might do more experimentation with multiple sprays.
    Otherwise, it will go onto my "to sell" list.
    I've got too many powerhouse frags with excellent longevity to waste my time on longevity wimps.

Does anyone know if it will project and last twice as much in the heat? It might work, I think.

Yeah, it last a little longer on warmer days.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    Does anyone know if it will project and last twice as much in the heat? It might work, I think.

Haven't personally smelled this one yet...but I know with some other "light" frags I have, spraying around the shirt collar helps with longevity quite a bit. Anyone tried this with The One & does it help? I'm intrigued to sniff this one out since so many people rave about the smell, but also don't like spending money on something that has terrible longevity, even on clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Haven't personally smelled this one yet...but I know with some other "light" frags I have, spraying around the shirt collar helps with longevity quite a bit. Anyone tried this with The One & does it help? I'm intrigued to sniff this one out since so many people rave about the smell, but also don't like spending money on something that has terrible longevity, even on clothes.
    I've tried The One on clothing, but ended up with the same results. Maybe a tad better projection, but still the same longevity. As for the scent itself, you won't be disappointed! If you like fragrances that smells exotic/tropical then you'll love this. It's dark, sweet and fruity with a boozy quality to it. I hope D&G will release a intense/extreme version that smells the same as the original, but with longevity and projection that pleases people. I would be more than happy to pay niche price for that juice, just take my money!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    +1 on The One love. Absolutely wonderful fragrance. Until(?) they come out with an EDP, maybe you could just carry around an atomizer of it and reapply often.
    To carry a atomizer for reapplying isn't gonna do it for, at least not for me, since it barely even projects. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Should I send an email asking them if they've got plans on a intense/extreme version? :P

My The One lasts 6-8 hours on my skin (by doing close sprays). Though, my bottle is a tester, and there's a conspiracy out there that they have stronger concentration than retail ones.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    My The One lasts 6-8 hours on my skin (by doing close sprays). Though, my bottle is a tester, and there's a conspiracy out there that they have stronger concentration than retail ones.
    Isn't tester bottle juice the same as original bottle? Or have I missed something.. ?

The one dont really projects no matter what you do (its somekind of close-quarter combat fragrance, lol), try layering. sometimes it adds up projection of the perfume. shot, wait for 5 minutes and shot again.

IMO, I think The One projection is meant to be close to the skin, so we cant do much to change it. hope it helps

Testers should have the same concentrations as retail bottles but its possible that some may be stronger to increase sales after testing.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Try Zegna Forte.
    And a much better choice IMO.

CologneFan85

Its lasting on me...

I haven't smelled this, but any time I have a fragrance that doesn't last, spraying on clothing always helps.

For a lot of people who have complained about any of the following: longevity/projection/sillage

...are you sure it's not a olfactory fatigue issue? Lots of people have complained about Aventus in perhaps a similar way.

I have the frag, but I haven't worn it much; however, it is a good smell .

What about trying to get word from a third party? Example: apply it, then after a certain amount of time ask someone if they can smell it from varying lengths away after you've been by them for a short bit, or if you walk past.

Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    Isn't tester bottle juice the same as original bottle? Or have I missed something.. ?
    Some companies reportedly make the testers more concentrated in order to impress with longevity and achieve higher sales.......dirty tricks for a dirty planet.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

CologneFan85

I've always had compliments wearing this...I am glad it lasts on my skin. Its one of the best smelling fragrances IMO

Acquired the small bottle shortly after release and never had any longevity problems with it; wore 3, maybe 4 sprays to school one day and radiated too well, in fact was told that I smelled good but had too much on.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    Acquired the small bottle shortly after release and never had any longevity problems with it; wore 3, maybe 4 sprays to school one day and radiated too well, in fact was told that I smelled good but had too much on.
    Same results that I get from it

The single most frustrating bottle in my collection. I'd be all over an extreme version, but I doubt i'll be buying this again.

Sadly the one is not the one.....i am in the same dept with the poor projection/longevity.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I know The One has been getting a lot of praise on here, but personally it just seems like a typical cologne that doesn't do anything different, which sums up the entire D&G line in general.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I know The One has been getting a lot of praise on here, but personally it just seems like a typical cologne that doesn't do anything different, which sums up the entire D&G line in general.
    The One's musk + grapefruit + ginger dominant notes and amber + tobacco drydown isn't "typical," to me at least.

Absolutely love The One, but even though its relatively inexpensive I absolutely hate having to carry around a decent size atomizer since the fragrance does not last more than 2 hours tops for me. Like others have said, if they made an extreme or EDP version I'd be all over it.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

yea it does nothing for me as well

Blog Entries

The One by D&G smells really nice. If an extreme version exists, I'll probably consider purchasing a bottle.

I'm actually surprised Dolce & Gabbana hasn't joined the Extreme/Intense bandwagon yet. Maybe this 2013?

Give Ed Hardy Villain a try

This is about the tenth thread beating the same drum: "The One is great, but has no longevity; is there an alternative?"

Unfortunately, I think the answer is, and shall likely remain, that it is a unique scent. I've tried some of the alternatives mentioned, and while they remind me of The One, none is particularly close. It's not like a GIT/Cool Water situation (and I know some think those aren't alike at all).

D&G will get around to an EDP version if it makes financial sense. I have a feeling it doesn't, or we would have seen it by now.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Check out this thread talking about Iconic by Marks & Spencer:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/319...A315-for-100ml
    There are people saying that it's really close. I don't know, never tested the M&S one.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    The One by D&G smells really nice. If an extreme version exists, I'll probably consider purchasing a bottle.
    That would be an incredible fragrance.

well i have never smelled any fragrance that smells like The One. some times it's good and bad to have two similer fragrances lol.

Smells great. I keep atomizer in office and reapply to get around the problem.