Code of Conduct

Default Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since I'm the self proclaimed number one fan of Puredistance M, I thought my last review should be about Fetish Pour Homme.

It's been said elsewhere that Mr.Dove was working on M and Fetish simultaneously, and kept Fetish for his own line because he felt it to be better than M.

What does Fetish EDP smell like?

If you like castoreum, Fetish will be delightful, because that's just about all you get. You really have to struggle to smell any similar DNA of M. If I was doing a blind smell, there's no way I would be comparing to M. The castoreum strangles the rest of the notes, reducing the whole thing down to a one note samba. The sillage is good, and it has some tenacity. You wll defintely smell it on your clothes the next day. I do enjoy a scent that does that, but with Fetish, I wish I didn't still smell it the morning after. It reminded me of one of those drunken one night stands with a barfly, that we all wish we didn't experience. You know, you wake up in the morning, look over, and OMG, what did I do now.

Fetish is not even in the same league as M. M has a wow factor from the first whiff, and continues to blow my mind all day, each and everytime I wear it. I have been wearing M regularly for over two years now, and never tire of it.

Sophistication is a hallmark of a Puredistance scent, and Fetish has none.

Just as a side note. Yesterday when I was wearing Fetish at work, my fellow co-workers said I stank, and that's never happened to me when wearing M (two of my co-workers have purchased M for themselves, even though they never spent more than $80 on a bottle before). I guess my co-workers don't like castoreum.

All I can say is Roja was having a bad day when he decided Fetish was superior, or Jan Ewoud Vos did a switch when Roja wasn't looking. I really believe the only reason M turned out so good is because Jan Ewoud Vos was intimately involved in the process, because Roja hasn't really created anything for his own line that makes me want a bottle. Think about it for a minute. Why isn't Roja churning out masterpieces for his own line? I don't know, but I can hypothesize he needs someone like Jan Ewoud Vos to let him know when it's right.

Roja seems so out of touch when creating perfumes for his own line. I read somewhere that Roja himself thought he would be remembered for his Vetiver. Wow! Does someone really want to be remembered for a Guerlain clone? Isabelle Doyen will be remembered for her work on Turtle Vetiver Exercise #1. Why? Because it's art, and one of the best and unique vetivers ever. I went through a bottle and miss having some around, yet I still have some Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait sitting in my sample pile collecting dust, where it belongs. Roja Dove's vetiver reminds me of Aqua Velva After Shave by comparison. Well, on second thought, everybody does remember Aqua Velva, and maybe Roja is right, and I'm wrong.

Good Night and Good Luck
    Last edited by thebeck; 27th February 2013 at 02:35 PM.

Default Re: Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove

Thanks for the review and putting Fetish in perspective. Also in a way I'm glad that M is still unequal as it would have been a bad show of Roja's to have created two frags that smell nearly identical.

Thanks for your insight.

Sound Scents

I love castoreum, but it sounds like Fetish is just overkill. I hate to admit it, but part of me is kind of glad this one is most likely not full bottle worthy, as Roja Dove charges so much for his own scents that they really are out of reach for me (and I am sure many others) financially. I was interested in at least trying his Vetiver, but if it is like Guerlain's then I have no interest as I don't like that one (even at a much more reasonable price). Oh well, looks like folks will be spared the wallet busting dilemma of having to justify a purchase from the line...

Love the Murrow-like sign off too, btw.
    Last edited by drseid; 30th December 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Spelling...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

As a fan of M, this review made me relieved. Thanks thebeck!!!

I stopped thinking what if there's a better M

Basenotes Institution

Thanks thebeck!

Every time I smell M, I think of you...in my mind it has become your scent.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Interesting to hear your perception, thebeck.
    Fetish's base reminds me of old-school leathers like Scandal, which packed a real skanky punch.
    I happen to adore those kinds of fragrance and I'm hoping the 'pour femme' version released next year will retain the castoreum but lighten up considerably on the cardamom and other spices which (to my nose) dominate the first few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Interesting to hear your perception, thebeck.
    Fetish's base reminds me of old-school leathers like Scandal, which packed a real skanky punch.
    I happen to adore those kinds of fragrance and I'm hoping the 'pour femme' version released next year will retain the castoreum but lighten up considerably on the cardamom and other spices which (to my nose) dominate the first few hours.
    I can appreciate an old school leather. My idea of an old school leather would be something
    akin to Knize Ten.

I couldn't resist getting a 100 ml bottle of Fetish and think it is the best of his line apart from perhaps some of his semi bespokes. Ive not properly compared it with M but found it reminiscent. If you think it so different, Ive about 5 mls of M so will have to compare. I was hoping they were very alike because I'd crossed M off my to buy list and thought I'd saved myself a few hundred bucks. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    I couldn't resist getting a 100 ml bottle of Fetish and think it is the best of his line apart from perhaps some of his semi bespokes. Ive not properly compared it with M but found it reminiscent. If you think it so different, Ive about 5 mls of M so will have to compare. I was hoping they were very alike because I'd crossed M off my to buy list and thought I'd saved myself a few hundred bucks. Oh well!
    Just enjoy your bottle of Fetish, and pay no attetion to my rantings. The main bitch is, that a comparison to M is absurd, They're so different, I could see owning both if I enjoyed Fetish. In the end, there's only one persons taste that matters, and that's your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    Just purchased from you on eBay mate and received the package today. Thanks! My names's Raj.

I also have fetish pour homme and I love it. Quite powerful, I like the smoky leather but still getting my nose around it.

Quote Originally Posted by 8rk7 View Post
    Just purchased from you on eBay mate and received the package today. Thanks! My names's Raj.

I also have fetish pour homme and I love it. Quite powerful, I like the smoky leather but still getting my nose around it.
    Hi Raj, good to hear from you. Think Fetish may be up there in my top 20 which is pretty good considering I've got 330 frags! The roja semi bespokes and the aforementioned M are his only others that hit the heights IMHO. Unspoken, Oud, neroli and vetiver are worth owning but maybe not worth the price, but everybody's tastes are different as mentioned earlier

i have a 20ml decant of fetish from ^^^ (thank you!), and i absolutely adore it. can't see any similarities to M whatsoever, it stands on its own. it's smoky, deep, floral, animalic, leathery, tarry (birch) all held together by a whiff of incense and spice, the vetiver and patchouli are very present as well. and if i would have to make comparisons, then yes, it's similar to le labo patchouli 24, mona di orio cuir, cartier la treizieme heur and also a passing resemblance to goutal's eau du fier and guerlain cuir de russie (the birch tar). what sets it apart is that there is this booziness in the opening, which dissipates quickly, followed by a quite unique dark, green, vegetal note which i can find it very similar to amouage memoir man and a sweetness as well which is not cloying, overpowering or gourmand/foodie like. projection/sillage are minimal and it stays very close to the skin, initially i thought longevity is quite poor but it's actually quite tenacious. absolutely gorgeous. overpriced? definitely yes, but still gorgeous. i'm happy with my decant.

****update*****
    8hrs later it's still there, close to the skin but easily smelled. it's a tenacious beast that hangs around, so fear not, it DOES LAST.
    Last edited by danny1967; 31st January 2013 at 03:28 PM.

I will have to get my hands on some, sounds like my kind of fragrance.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Wearing this now.

I get the note in the opening that Danny mentions. I wouldn't call it boozy but it's definitely very distinct and very appealing.

The castoreum explodes at first but then quickly eradicates itself.

What follows is a medley of cardamom (mostly but with some other spices too) and resins.

At the base of all this is leather + his signature medley in overdose ( benzoin + labdanum + vanilla )

for swap/sale:

I don't think it's that similar to M at all, to me it's like if Roja did Bel Ami for Creed, with the smoky-leather from Aventus and the lime+ambegris+woodyness from Erolfa/Himalaya, but of course, with more longevity.

This is the less fruity premium Aventus.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Roja was at bergoff goodman in nyc a few days ago talking to customers and stuff