Code of Conduct

Default Scent most complemented by women in the 30-40 age range?

I know there is a sticky at the top for Scent most complemented by women. However, tastes vary a lot by age.

For those of you dating or around women in the 30-40 range, what scents do you get the most complements from?

This is more out of curiosity than anything else. I got out of a longterm relationship several month back and am re-entering the dating pool. Personally, if going on a date I wouldn't wear something overpowering; rather something not too challenging, pleasant, but ideally not what everyone else is wearing.

Given the time of year and what I own, I would tend to reach for the following:

Day
    M7 Fresh by YSL
    Royal Oud by Creed
    L'homme by YSL
    Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler
    Antidote by Viktor & Rolf
    Aventus by Creed

Night
    Lightly worn M7 by YSL
    Royal Oud by Creed
    Antidote by Viktor & Rolf
    Fahrenheit by Dior
    Aventus by Creed

Not that I expect to get manhandled by a woman because of my cologne of choice, but it never hurts to appeal to the tastes of the ladies when your trying to put your best foot forward.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Scent most complemented by women in the 30-40 age range?

U.S. Treasury Printers Ink.

It's just a joke, ladies. I love the smell myself.

Banned

Aventus by Creed.

Basenotes Member

Montblanc Presence, Silver Mountain Water, Allure, Green Irish Tweed, Prada Amber

Fahrenheit

Sound Scents

original Polo
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Without meaning to sound facetious, I think the answer is anything that smells pleasant/nice/good. My wife is 31 and likes Gucci PH II, but also vanilla-based scents. She is not too keen on things like LP No.9, Idole EDP, By Man, to name a few. Comparatively, a lot of women who work for me/with me in that age range like the aforementioned fragrances. I also think that your dress/personality has a fair amount to do with whether your fragrances 'matches' you, thus rendering compliments. I am 27 but run my own company, wear suit and tie every day (for the job) etc, etc. I have a friend who is a bit older than me but wears very casual dress and wears 1 Million, Le Male, Ed Hardy etc, which suit him; I'm not sure Musc Ravageur or Tobacco Vanille would necessarily be suitable for him. Also, compliments seem to come when you least expect them. It's so subjective that I don't think you can really give a definitive answer to this question.
    Last edited by Fraghead; 8th July 2012 at 12:43 PM.

L'Eau D'Issey is ALWAYS a MASSIVE hit.

Kouros is my wife's all-time favourite though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Without meaning to sound facetious, I think the answer is anything that smells pleasant/nice/good. ... I also think that your dress/personality has a fair amount to do with whether your fragrances 'matches' you, thus rendering compliments. ... It's so subjective that I don't think you can really give a definitive answer to this question.
    Obviously personality plays into whether or not a woman in her 30s will be attracted to a man, but that's not the question. This question was specifically about SCENTS women 30-40 enjoy MOST.

I date women in the same age range, more or less. I'm usually dating women in their late 20s to late 30s. I used to be involved with a lot of female focussed market research mostly but not entirely related to music. 25 was the age at the center of a style teeter-totter. Younger than that, women's tastes skewed one way. Older than that, they skewed another. We could literally graph it and 25 was a breaking point. Men's tastes do the same thing but the pivot age is slightly older. I have no experience with researching scents and age groups, but we're talking about tastes and preferences, which change and evolve over time. I know that food tastes follow the same pattern as music tastes, but the breaking point age is a bit older. If you're going on first dates and thus meeting new women in their 30s, I'd look for scents that evoke a sense of maturity yet playfulness. Or, to put it another way, I'd look for the middle ground. Scents that aren't too young but also not too old.

I know many will read that and think "Whoa, you're over-thinking it," but being single is different than being in a relationship. When I'm in a relationship, I factor in my partner's tastes. But when I'm single and going on a first date, I play it safer since I don't know what she likes yet.

The hard part about answering this question is that it's early summer, and an especially hot summer too, which means it's harder to wear so many of what I think are the best scents - those mysterious and alluring fall and winter scents.

So... tl;dr: I'd say, seek scents that middle ground! Look for scents that don't remind you of college but don't smell stodgy either. For summer: Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water? Just a guess. Also Versace Pour Homme or Allure Homme Edition Blanche? Fraghead's suggestion of Gucci Pour Homme II is a really good one, especially since that seems to be getting harder to find, which means it'll become more unique and, thus, more memorable on a first date that goes well. Bvlgari Man or PH Soir? I don't know. I'm really looking forward to reading other people's suggestions.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by swix View Post
    Obviously personality plays into whether or not a woman in her 30s will be attracted to a man, but that's not the question. This question was specifically about SCENTS women 30-40 enjoy MOST.
    I'm not sure why you have quoted me here; my point is that this is subjective so you cannot give a definitive answer. It's like asking what food do women aged 30-40 enjoy most. It will be different for each.

I apologize if my reply came of as picking on you. Sorry! I didn't mean to. I enjoy this forum, but it can get pretty PC in here whenever a guy asks about what women prefer. Of course it's subjective. But since there's no way to ask a woman what she prefers before even meeting her, the only thing a guy can do is make an educated guess. If one is going to buy a scent that would be good for first dates - in other words, meeting someone new - there will never be a definitive answer. Obviously. And that brings us back to the question at hand... since there's no way to know for sure, which are the best guesses... that's why I also pointed out your mention of Gucci pour homme II since that's a safe but not at all boring choice. It's a really good guess.

Again, I apologize if I offended you. I didn't mean to.

I will be hitting that age range in a few years myself so if you find any that work well please pass it along .

If I were to go into it blind I might try... Versace Pour Homme, Terre D'Hermes or Body Kouros by YSL.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Banned

El Guapo, I'm not so experienced with this age group (yet) so no expert advice from me, but I think you should wear the scents from your wardrobe with which you feel most comfortable, most secure. The ones that blend perfectly with your skin chemistry, the ones that have become part of you. Because it will be you the woman has to long for, not so much the bottle (except in the case of Rochas Man, of course ).

I'd say stay away from anything too "barbershop". Things that have that Old Spice vibe will remind women aged 30-40 of their fathers and grandfathers. I only say this because the grandpa trend has kind of hit guys that age. Go for mature, but not old.

Judging by the ladies in this age group I do happen to know, the possibilities of garnering compliments are quite diversified, but from my opinion, most classic male scents by Chanel, Dior, Guerlain, YSL fared pretty well, as did Armani Eau pour Homme and Knize Ten. Though this very limited list is still inconclusive to be representative, in my strictly personal opinion, I would say that classic tastes and preferences seem to prevail.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Aventus by Creed.
    +1 in S. Florida Aventus is a Grand Slam with the Ladies. I'm 31 and get many compliments on it.

Guerlainista

My wife is in that range, and has definite opinions on the matter. While she may not be representative, consider her one vocal data point.

In no particular order, she loves: Ambre Sultan, Aventus, Rive Gauche pour Homme, Habit Rouge, Jicky, Acqua di Parma Colonia.
    Last edited by rubegon; 11th July 2012 at 08:41 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

......She likes them.....on Whom? ^^^^ Would that be......YOU? I think that this entire discussion, which I have read top to bottom, could never help our friend El_Guapo. El_Guapo must learn to help himself. In order to do that, here's what I would suggest: Since you are dating relatively young women, but not too young, consider what their fathers may have worn: If they are 25, their fathers are in the 45-65 year old age slot, so they lived through the 70's, the 80's and the 90's. Most men define their tastes at the height of their moment of attraction, which typically is around 27-33 for a man. This could mean a Joop! wearing dad. Having grown up in a "perfumey" culture, it is likely the fathers had and wore fragrance. This works to your advantage, if you wish to be a "perfumey" kind of guy: Many women in the age group you mention don't fancy perfumes on men at all, others do. All of the above distills down to a puzzle that is nearly impossible to solve. One that isn't, is finding a scent that YOU feel comfortable in. Note the choice of word here: COMFORTABLE. By that I imply: It doesn't distract you. You are not overly aware of it. You love the way it smells at the end of the day when you undress. (very important) Everything about it seems to square nicely with who you are, and points to the image of yourself you wish to project. You *ALWAYS* love it, no matter what time of day or year it is. You have tested it out on some trusted friends, and they have reacted positively, or at least they are not averse (Mind your choice of friends here: They should not be men) The most important part of this equation is not the ladies you will be dating, it's you, your chemistry, and how you feel about what you are wearing: Something that "works" for you will always feel natural, lift your spirits, and make you feel confident. If a fragrance does not meet EVERY ONE of these criteria, it might be stored for the moment. Once you have defined which one it is, on a first date, don't wear it at all: Wear the scented "by-products." (Shower Gel, Deodorant, after-shave) Using after-shave as a fragrance, not on your face, but on your hands and body is a lovely way to be discretely perfumed without over powering. The bad news is this: *Any* scent stands more chances of being a negative than a positive, when it comes to dating and first impressions, so it must be "unveiled," very gently, and not jammed down her breathing passages from the get go. I see that M7 is on your list, and that you enjoy oud-based comps: These suit an olive-complected man with dark hair. Oud is polarizing, a bit like patchouli: You either "assume the position" and wear it, or you don't. I would say: go for it--but very, very lightly. Especially on a first date: The best friend of a first date is a perfumed deodorant, some very judiciously applied after shave, impeccable grooming (hands, nose, ears, mouth) and a positive attitude. Once you have established there is "Fire," then slowly bring on the juice.....and *NEVER* over apply. Remember: When you're dating, you might end up making out a bit--eventually having sex: When this happens, our skin heats up--and whatever it is that we have applied will explode, becoming more powerful--especially woody/resinous comps which dwell subcutaneously. Having studied your list above, I would steer you toward the top three--and discourage you from the bottom three--especially "Cologne" by TM. (This is a tricky scent to pull off, especially if you have dark hair: It works better on a blondy-pinky-blue eyes type) My recommendation: M7 deodorant. M7 shower gel. and a gingerly rub of M7 "apres rasage" about the ears and sides of the neck--very little--and on the hands. Apply this well before the meeting moment: At least one hour. M7 is by all accounts a *very sexy* fragrance--and it is designed to please--I know it well. Put too much of it on, and you can kill someone. The time you think you may get to "third base," spray a tiny, tiny bit of the edt on your lower stomach--and that's it: rely on the deodorant and after shave and shower gel for the rest: Remember these shower gels work nicely as shampoo: The French will *never* make a male-centric liquid washing agent that cannot be used all over. You can find these items on e-bay or amazon if they are discontinued: I know all three were made at one point as I have them. I loved M7 when it came out. It was one of the very first "mainstream" Ouds. I, personally, have never been able to wear the EdT--everything else--I love. Chances are, she might also--especially if you do, and the scent soothes you, and gives you confidence. Good Luck! leMdM
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Guerlainista

MdM is the Jedi Master of all things grooming and perfuming. Take his advice.

He makes an excellent point - if you want to increase your odds, no fragrance is the safest bet.

Many women don't like perfume on guys at all - wearing anything will cause them to ignore you. The ones that do like perfumed dudes won't ignore a guy they are attracted to because he's not wearing scent. Ergo, you narrow your options by wearing perfume.

My wife likes scent on guys - her dad was a 70's cologne guy. Not all women are like her.

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    ......She likes them.....on Whom? ^^^^ Would that be......YOU? I think that this entire discussion, which I have read top to bottom, could never help our friend El_Guapo. El_Guapo must learn to help himself. In order to do that, here's what I would suggest: Since you are dating relatively young women, but not too young, consider what their fathers may have worn: If they are 25, their fathers are in the 45-65 year old age slot, so they lived through the 70's, the 80's and the 90's. Most men define their tastes at the height of their moment of attraction, which typically is around 27-33 for a man. This could mean a Joop! wearing dad. Having grown up in a "perfumey" culture, it is likely the fathers had and wore fragrance. This works to your advantage, if you wish to be a "perfumey" kind of guy: Many women in the age group you mention don't fancy perfumes on men at all, others do. All of the above distills down to a puzzle that is nearly impossible to solve. One that isn't, is finding a scent that YOU feel comfortable in. Note the choice of word here: COMFORTABLE. By that I imply: It doesn't distract you. You are not overly aware of it. You love the way it smells at the end of the day when you undress. (very important) Everything about it seems to square nicely with who you are, and points to the image of yourself you wish to project. You *ALWAYS* love it, no matter what time of day or year it is. You have tested it out on some trusted friends, and they have reacted positively, or at least they are not averse (Mind your choice of friends here: They should not be men) The most important part of this equation is not the ladies you will be dating, it's you, your chemistry, and how you feel about what you are wearing: Something that "works" for you will always feel natural, lift your spirits, and make you feel confident. If a fragrance does not meet EVERY ONE of these criteria, it might be stored for the moment. Once you have defined which one it is, on a first date, don't wear it at all: Wear the scented "by-products." (Shower Gel, Deodorant, after-shave) Using after-shave as a fragrance, not on your face, but on your hands and body is a lovely way to be discretely perfumed without over powering. The bad news is this: *Any* scent stands more chances of being a negative than a positive, when it comes to dating and first impressions, so it must be "unveiled," very gently, and not jammed down her breathing passages from the get go. I see that M7 is on your list, and that you enjoy oud-based comps: These suit an olive-complected man with dark hair. Oud is polarizing, a bit like patchouli: You either "assume the position" and wear it, or you don't. I would say: go for it--but very, very lightly. Especially on a first date: The best friend of a first date is a perfumed deodorant, some very judiciously applied after shave, impeccable grooming (hands, nose, ears, mouth) and a positive attitude. Once you have established there is "Fire," then slowly bring on the juice.....and *NEVER* over apply. Remember: When you're dating, you might end up making out a bit--eventually having sex: When this happens, our skin heats up--and whatever it is that we have applied will explode, becoming more powerful--especially woody/resinous comps which dwell subcutaneously. Having studied your list above, I would steer you toward the top three--and discourage you from the bottom three--especially "Cologne" by TM. (This is a tricky scent to pull off, especially if you have dark hair: It works better on a blondy-pinky-blue eyes type) My recommendation: M7 deodorant. M7 shower gel. and a gingerly rub of M7 "apres rasage" about the ears and sides of the neck--very little--and on the hands. Apply this well before the meeting moment: At least one hour. M7 is by all accounts a *very sexy* fragrance--and it is designed to please--I know it well. Put too much of it on, and you can kill someone. The time you think you may get to "third base," spray a tiny, tiny bit of the edt on your lower stomach--and that's it: rely on the deodorant and after shave and shower gel for the rest: Remember these shower gels work nicely as shampoo: The French will *never* make a male-centric liquid washing agent that cannot be used all over. You can find these items on e-bay or amazon if they are discontinued: I know all three were made at one point as I have them. I loved M7 when it came out. It was one of the very first "mainstream" Ouds. I, personally, have never been able to wear the EdT--everything else--I love. Chances are, she might also--especially if you do, and the scent soothes you, and gives you confidence. Good Luck! leMdM
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The most important thing is probably: DO NOT OVERDO IT. No woman I know wants to smell a cloud of cologne following a guy around. Go light. Not too in your face.

Versache por homme smells exelent but sadly doesent project on my skin.

These next few you cant go by reviews on basenotes... Here it goes my most complimented by women my age hint 30..

Perry elliss new2008 women young and old for this one .

Bvlgary man works good in warm weather if not oversprayed.

Donald trump the newest realeased one i forgot the name but my lady friend pulled me over and made me smell it and needless to say im gonna buy it she said its exelent.... Reminds me nothing of donald trump thank god lol..

Gicci porhomme 2

Creed IM and green irish tweed .

your probbly gonna disagree with me on this one but described as one of the most myserious and intrigueing coco based fragrences..... Channel por homme sport aue extreme this one is warm weather warm weather warm weather all day . As soon as it bonds with my bodys heat and chemastry wow women follow close and always want to chat. My lady friend wanted to keep my bottel for her bf lol . does smell a bit like a creamsicle in the topnote but dont worrie it turns nice cocoa and woody . Problem tho with channel line is they dont discount so if you find one discounted stay away .

from your collection L'homme would the safest scent. Even though i really like Royal Oud, I never received any complements while wearing it. I find Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla complemented by that age group.