Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default College Student, New to Basenotes Looking for Suggestions

Hey basenotes,

This is my first post here after spending quite a bit of time on the site throughout the last week. I've spent a few hours a day on here and now I feel like I am more ready to make a purchase. I would be interested in buying one winter scent for school, but it is quite warm in my area from April to October, so a summer scent is needed.

I am looking for fragrances for a college student, and that means within a college students budget. I will pay about $50 for a 3.4 oz max, so for now Creed/Chanel etc aren't really for me. Scents that I could wear to class would be great, as I study a lot more than I party--gotta be able to get a good job to afford the Creed colognes someday right . I live in a very dry region. Cold winters and hot summers

This is my current collection that I've accumulated as Christmas/birthday presents:

Boss Bottled
    Antonio Banderas "The Secret"
    Kenneth Cole "Reaction"
    Hollister "Jake"
    Nautica "Voyage"
    Ferrari "Black"
    Cube Paris "Cuba Gold"
    A couple Belcam knockoffs from Walmart (Vault-knockoff of Armani Code, and Rule-knockoff of Bleu de Chanel)

Some colognes that I've been eyeing out:

Rochas Man
    CK One Shock
    Diesel Only the Brave (loved it when I got a sample)

I really appreciate any opinions and thoughts on either potential colognes to purchase or opinions on my current fragrances. I plan to buy from either scentedmonkey (tester if possible to save $), TJ Maxx, or Ross. I would like to blind buy if possible, but if there is something that isn't that safe list it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: College Student, New to Basenotes Looking for Suggestions

The colognes you are eyeing, are quite safe. I love Rochas Man. I always recommend Jordan Legend along with it. They are very similar, but Legend is less floral.

My number one all season recommendation is Gucci Pour Homme II. After that, would probably be YSL L'homme. Both are extremely versatile, and could be worn anytime.

If you have a perfumania around you, they have buy one get one for $9.99. I believe Rochas Man and CK One Shock qualify for bogo.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the three you are considering I easily prefer the Rochas Man, but I prefer many other options like many scents in the Aramis line (that all retail for $50 a 100ml bottle). Some in the line that might fit are JHL or Aramis 900 for Winter and either Havana or New West for Him for Summer (although I personally would wear any of them anytime as I don't wear scents by seasons).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes!

I would recommend going through Fragrancenet.com to buy, and NEVER buying blindly. Fragrancenet is reliable, and with a 20% off code, I think you'll find you CAN afford some of your first choices (a tester bottle of GIT, for example). And if you access the Fragrancenet site via eBates.com, you can save another 6%.

I think I would splurge on the GIT tester bottle, but aside from that, I'd recommend going with some other fragrances that are safe and pretty much universally loved. Some reasonable, middle of the road/inexpensive colognes are...

Gucci Pour Homme II
    Gucci by Gucci
    Burberry London
    Sean Jean Unforgivable (or try to get a tester bottle of the real thing [Creed Millesime Imperial] if you can)
    L'Occitane Eav Des Bavx (a great [and inexpensive] alternative to Tobacco Vanille
    V&R Spicebomb
    Gendarme by Gendarme
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    A*Men Pure Havane
    Dior Homme (or DHI, if you prefer)
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label (yes, it's still available online through RL)
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport (or spring for the much better Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel Eau de Cologne, if possible)

Welcome! Perhaps Burberry London or Carbone De Balmain might work.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey! I'm a high school senior and I really like Burberry London, Rochas Man and Versace Dreamer. All for about $30 on Amazon. I would recommend the Dreamer because the good longevity and projection however, the first two are meh.

Burberry London & Rochas Man are 2 good choices. Also +1 on Gucci Pour Homme II. It's a bit more than your budget, but well worth it IMO.

I'd suggest you get in on a split around here for something, perhaps a Creed. No one will smell like you, that's for sure. All I smell at my college is 1 Million.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A good college fragrance that smells great, women love it, and is non-offensive to just about everyone is, Bleu de Chanel. Highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Rochas Man is a great choice. Don't pay over $35 for a 100ml bottle.

I also recommend:

Givenchy Play Intense for Fall and Winter

Guerlain Homme for Spring and Summer

Post Thanks / Like

I'll echo Rochas Man and add Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Buy from fragrancenet.com , they sell all authentic and you pay half of the retail price.

Suggestions for under $50:
    - Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    - Burberry London
    - Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
    - One Million by Paco Rabanne (small bottle)

Rochas Man is a nice one if you don't mind the sweetness (or the lavendar and herbs in the base).

Post Thanks / Like

I will also support YSL Rive Gauche. $36 for huge 4.2 Oz bottle on Amazon.com. You can wear it to college as it is unoffensive even in warm weather. We live in a dry climate like you are and my husband wears it to work almost religiously, it's wonderful.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I am really impressed with the timeliness and completeness of the replies. You are all awesome, hopefully I can learn enough and try enough fragrances where I can pay it forward it and contribute in the future.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Newbie question here, but OctaVariuM mentioned that it would be wise to "get in on a split." What does that mean and how would a split work?

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board

People on here buy a big bottle and decant 50ml into smaller atomiser to share the cost around.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-Fragrance-Splits-Board

A split is a 50ml portion of a larger expensive bottle. Help share the cost among several people.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer92 View Post
    Wow, I am really impressed with the timeliness and completeness of the replies. You are all awesome, hopefully I can learn enough and try enough fragrances where I can pay it forward it and contribute in the future.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Newbie question here, but OctaVariuM mentioned that it would be wise to "get in on a split." What does that mean and how would a split work?
    Essentially, people around here and elsewhere in the frag community that don't care about collecting bottles all pitch in X dollars to pay for a large (usually 500mL) bottle of a fragrance, then the person who bought it decants it into smaller, often 50mL atomizers and sends them out to the participants. The process usually takes a few weeks since they have to order the bottle once everyone has paid, wait for it to come in, decant it, and then ship them out to the participants.

While it may sound like a pain, for a new person just getting into fragrances there is no better way to learn what you like. Another great way is to join some facebook groups. Just search "fragrance" or "swap"/"splits" and you should find groups of people who do an excellent job decanting large and small amount of fragrances.

I just started the hobby back in September, and in that time I've learned a LOT by getting in on decants and splits. I'd say I know my fair share now.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Burberry sport
    Versace pour homme
    D&g the one sport

Find em on eBay, cheap

Michael Jordan Legend is $12.99 at Ross and its better (in my opinion) than Rochas Man. Perfect for winter.

Gendarme or Thierry Mugler Cologne for summer.