Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Post I went. I sniffed. I came back to report [ looooong ]

Today I went on a sniffing fest to local perfumeries and had an awesome time. I want to buy them all, I feel like addict in need of his drug and the worst thing is that the first dose is not free. Pity!

The routine was: smell it on the scent strips - or the lovely 'mouillette' as the french call them, write on the paper what scent it is and review it later at home. I tested 2 of the favorite of the day on the skin.
    After reviewing, which is the scope of this post, I will go in for a second sniffing and testing on skin and eventually narrow it down to my first ever niche perfume. Sounds good?

Let's plunge in!

CREED - Aventus

Oh, Aventus my old foe! I've smelled this the very first because i wanted my senses to be clear, welcoming and opened to the - i heard - magnificent scent of this one. Yes, the pineapple explodes in your nose, didn't feel the apple or much else at first. But i really enjoy it. Later I revisited at home and it's something new on, a bit heavier but you can still smell the fruits in it, the happiness of the first fresh spray, like the after taste of a luxurious pineapple nectar still playing with your papillae hours after you drank it, creating something new, a fruity you-taste.
    This was one of the frags I applied on skin. 5 hours later i can barely smell it. I am not sure if anyone else would, have to ask around later but my feeling is that it doesn't go so well with my skin. Nevertheless, I heard people saying that they stop smelling it on them but people around do.
    When I did smell it though, it was spectacular. Loved it.

CREED - Royal Oud

Tried this noble concoction because the lady at the store offered it. I had no idea how the oud smells and heard is a very foreign, very alien smell but I thoroughly enjoyed it! I can see myself wearing this. It feels very heavy though and imposing. Royal indeed.

Comme des Garcons - Amazingreen

I read about this in GQ so I was curious, as the name suggest if it's that fresh and oh, baby! S splash of freshness it is! Very nice immediate impression, like a blast of..green really in my nose. refreshing. impressive. liked it a lot! -- put it on skin. 5 hours later it feels a bit different, there's something stronger that bursts out after about 30 minutes, that I don't particularly love but it gives it a very interesting flavor. As i smell it now, it seems to last more on my skin than Aventus but my nose could just be overloaded so I can't really tell for sure.

Comme des Garcons - CDG2man

Very strong and distinctive when I first smelled this in the store, I have no clue what I smell here but it's strong and trying it again now..very interesting and challenging indeed. I see it has incense, white smoke?, saffron flowers, vetiver roots. I can't distinguish between these elements but anyway, an interesting flavor that keep getting better the more I smell it! It's happy but serious, full of life and unexpected. Have to give it another chance.
    speaking of saffron flower let me jump to:

CoStume Nationale - 21

At first i really liked it, the milk and saffron [ I think ] really come through and I mentally put it on my - ToTryOnSkin list- but now it feels a little too common, a quick comparison with CDG 2man make me feel that there's something about 21 that is lacking, like a story I heard before compared to something new. BUT I will give it another chance because I had a good feeling about it at first. I understand 21 is extremely powerful and fills the room with smell and it last forever, even after shower.
    I know that 21 has a lot of fans in here so please feel free to comment!

Editions de parfums - Frederic Malle - Potrait of a Lady

I tried this juice at the suggestion of basenote member drseid who said it's his favorite and need to test it. I think maybe rose - which really hits you at first, you can sure feel that oriental rose - is not for me and this patchouli is maybe just too sophisticated for my nose at this moment, I am just not there yet, I find myself at odds with a lot of patchouli essences. Nevertheless, the perfume is really complex, oriental and somewhat mystic.Smelling it now, it's a little more joyful than i perceived it at first and I can see how it can grow on you.

Another thing I enjoyed about this [ and any other perfume from this series ] is that you can buy a box of 3 x 10ml refill sprays which is pretty nice. At 100e, costly, but i'm sure it's worth it.

- a side note here, EdP has a lot of perfumes and i couldn't possibly try them all but if you guys have any other recommendations, especially something more fresh/fruity/young, I really want to give them a try next time I go at the store -

L'artisan parfumeur - Dzing!

The only way i can describe this is: " W T F did i just smell? ". Really. It's something totally confusing, new, a little scary if i can say so. A scent I never encountered and the base note I understand it must be leather?, but is sure doesn't smell like any leather i ever smelled... or maybe i smell musk? [ i really don't know these scents by heart so i might be very off here! ] but it's strong and has a lot of personality to it. I think it's a love it or hate it fragrance and while I can't say I hate it, I think I'll file it under: too young to get it.
    "Dzing! is a magical evocation of a circus of dreams and imagination. Everything is soft hued and slow moving, sights and sounds rolling by in the Big Top" Yeah, totally like the smell of another, more mysterious, dark and full of surprises world...one that for me, is also not inviting right now.

[ Interlude ]

Now all the scents listed until now I went to the perfumery with a very clear purpose to test. When I left i noticed a second store just across the street which i never heard of and decided to get it. And lo and behold I was welcomed by new scents, a low-lit room full of fragrances, interesting new combination and options [ more on that later ] and a charmingly helpful girl. I was already overload with scents at this point so I couldn't explore too much - spent some time sniffing coffee - but I'll tell you something about what I tried and invite you to visit the site and see what other brands they offer and if you think I should try some specific scents, I hope you'll tell me in the comments.

First I have to tell you that they offer something called Bespoke option in which they can help you create your unique scent. They have all the elements in there and you can give them directions, try it on, etc. I think it's kind of like making a custom suit..but with scents! Very interesting. I don't know much about that but here is a link to the house that offers this option " Memoire Liquide "

I didn't even go near this option as I can't imagine how I could ever create my own scent when I can't tell my musk from my patchouli yet but it is worth mentioning.

Nose - Mark Buxton Perfumes - Devil in Disguise

A brand i never heard of [ doesn't say much ] all the perfumes from Mark Buxon had interesting names [ sleeping with ghost anyone?! ] but the lovely girl in store said this is really good, and catchy name..obviously a lot like me [ ha! ]. Fresh, mischievous and jumpy, an invitation to be fun, carefree and young but with an unexpected end, a consequence we did not forsee, something to do with patchouli i'm sure.
    What can I say, i love it. The big downside is that it only had 100ml and it's really expensive [ 140e ] and way over budget for me. If anyone hears about a smaller decant let me know. Next time i'll try some other scents from this line..wishful smelling so to say.

Ulrich Lang New York - Nightscape

Another interesting line, which sets as a goal to transmit a photography through a smell, a fusion of visual and olfactory. The box design is gorgeous, very unique and attractive, dark. As for the juice..with the bergamot, "green" accord...soft leather [ hello again! ] musk, patchouli [ hello! hello! ] it could be something that i smelled before but noup, very different. For me, it inspires a young adult scents, someone on the brink of maturity but still able to have a good night in town, drinking and dancing, getting home at the dawn. The feeling as you -maybe- walk home after a night like this, fully aware that it is by now just an escape from your "real" life but enjoying it even more because of that...this is the scent, the feeling behind it. It seems not all patchouli is bad after all.

Downside: you can only buy 100ml which i think it's just too much and expensive. I really don't understand why wouldn't you offer a 50ml bottle too. Oh well.

Nu-be

Quite a find, I love the idea behind the perfumes they offer, "nu_be speaks of the origins of the universe", it's about elements and every one has a scent. They have 5 elements - hydrogen, helium, lithium, carbon and oxygen and i only got to test two but they are both exquisite. We smell Nu_be to understand the primordial, the essence of life, and isn't this a wonderful thing to strive for in a scent?

Nu_be - [H]

A divine scent, a joy to smell and return again and again, so fresh, so full of energy and promises, like getting out a river and being ready to smile and embrace life, pure and light, a new-born day, a chance of a beginning. Amazing fragrance, a pure spring-summer scent. Need to try it on skin.

Nu_be - Li

Lithium is about contradiction, the lightest of metals but also in greek it means "stone" and i loved how it starts as fresh and opened than it slowly gets darker, spicier - again we meet the usual suspects - woods for the top note, patchouli, musk, saffron. More complicated than [H], lithium seems to be what you feel in the moment that it is. Love the contradiction, the way it takes possesion of the owner's nose, slowly, like a secret you can't quite grasp at start. Need to try it on the skin.

In fact, i need to try all the other elements because they just blow my mind. The bottles are wonderful too, the design is minimalist and the table of elements inspired theme works perfect with it. They unfortunately come only in 100ml bottles at 140e per bottle. Very expensive.

OKE! This was the today's journey, this post turned out crazy long, I am dizzy from all this sniffing and I can't imagine anyone reading it all [ and if you do, thank you!] but I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments and whatever else you fieel like saying

R, sniffing out.
    Last edited by Sicktrick; 5th February 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Default Re: I went. I sniffed. I came back to report [ looooong ]

Quote Originally Posted by Sicktrick View Post
    - a side note here, EdP has a lot of perfumes and i couldn't possibly try them all but if you guys have any other recommendations, especially something more fresh/fruity/young, I really want to give them a try next time I go at the store -
    Bigarade Concentree, Vetiver Extraordinaire and Geranium pour Monsieur

Thanks for taking the time to write down your impressions! There are some interesting scents that I have yet to come across but will definitely try to sample in the future.

Very interesting impressions.

Blog Entries

Thank you guys! I realize that these are a noob's nose impressions but I had a great time writing it down [ for me, as well for anyone else who reads it ]. And i found that I feel very inspired by these perfumes.

Will try to do that again in the future and maybe even take this as a stand alone article on my personal blog so non-perfume loves to read and maybe catch the bug

Now who has a Nu_be decant or wants to share a bottle of [H]? )

PS: thanks, luca!

I also enjoyed Royal Oud when I recently tested it. A bit less harsh than other ouds I have smelled.

Thanks for the extensive fragrance reports - truly diversified, tasteful and complex lineup.

Blog Entries

Can anyone recommend other Outds as well? I find myself drawn to the smell and curious to see other imaginations of this wood.

Try the Montale line, to be found on Elysee as well.

www.elyseeconcept.ro

Great post! I enjoyed reading your impressions.

Is it a flinty gun powder note your picking up on in Amazing Green? That's been a common remark about it.

I also think at some point you'll come back and appreciate Dzing! It's a great one.

Sampling's a lot of fun, keep it up and keep coming back with those mini-reviews.

I'll be on the lookout for Nu_be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Great post! I enjoyed reading your impressions.

Is it a flinty gun powder note your picking up on in Amazing Green? That's been a common remark about it.

I also think at some point you'll come back and appreciate Dzing! It's a great one.

Sampling's a lot of fun, keep it up and keep coming back with those mini-reviews.

I'll be on the lookout for Nu_be.
    Thanks a lot! I think i'll open a separate thread with these mini reviews and just add to it as I gather more scents. Nevertheless, i can just walk in there everyday to sniff stuff although that could be cool )

I am not sure about flinty gun powder, because hard as i TRY, i can't imagine that smell. But it does sound really interesting, I hope that i'll be able to get the base scents somewhere and sniff them long and hard individually until i "get" them. Until then, more noob reviews coming your way!

Thank you again for your interest!