Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Peppermint/herbal fragrance

Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Currently wearing: Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    +1 Lush's Dirty
    Agreed. I went through this last Summer. Tried all of the above and more. I came to the conclusion that Lush's Dirty and CdG Peppermint were the best fit for me. The former being the more herbal of the two.

For pure enjoyment of a mint fragrance I continue to prefer Comme des Garcons Peppermint of the Sherbert Series. This masterful fragrance has strong doses of pepper and mint, peppermint and and a warm woody musk base. A beautiful little fragrance from Bertrand Duchaufour created back in his incense and transparent woods experimental days hidden away in the cute little nail polish inspired CDG Sherbert bottles.

Sorry guys but I cant afford expensive niche right now, I'm looking for something under US$80

Dirty is fairly cheap, actually.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Piper Nigrum, Piper Nigrum, Piper Nigrum. I like Roadster and Oxford and Cambridge, too, but from what you've said, Piper Nigrum is the one you need. I can't believe nobody has suggested it already.
    +1

But you also have to like black pepper to enjoy this one, peppermint is very prominent for the first hour or so, then you can clearly detect the black pepper and the usual strong herbal quality that is LV's signature, then it becomes a little woody and ambery. I think you can get a 50ml around $80-$90US.
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)

3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    4. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    5. Puredistance Black

Personally, I'm a mint fan & have been searching for a mint scent myself for over 2 years with no luck. Although, I tend to prefer a more candy/gum/toothpaste kind of mint. Anyway, I've tried Roadster, Menthe Fraiche, Live Jazz, Booster, Dirty, Demeter Mint Julep, and still haven't found what I'm looking for yet. My favorite out of the bunch is Live Jazz, which I do like, but mint is not the starring note in that one.

Anyway, here's my take on these. Roadster (not enough mint. To me, it's all about vetiver & some weird, sour type herbal note, maybe galbanum?). Live Jazz (great sweet spearmint gum note that I do love, but cilantro and rhubarb are the dominant notes. I like those as well, but am not a fan of ambergris, so the basenote kinda annoys me on this one). Menthe Fraiche (Very in your face, bracing mint, which is nice, but it dries down with a weird off putting sweet sweaty type note I don't like. Probably mate'). Demeter Mint Julep (I got very little mint out of this one. It smelled more like cloves to me, mixed with some sort of sweet amber. Maybe mint juleps contain cloves, I don't know). Lush Dirty (this one is just weird. Yeah, it's minty, but it's mixed with an odd mineral type note and a ton of lavender. It almost smells like mint powder on top of some kind of bandage or diaper to me. The mint is great, but that flinty note mixed with lavender is awful).
    LaCoste Booster (I may revisit this one, but to the best of my memory, the eucalyptus note was the dominant player & not mint. It reminded me more of a Hall's cough drop).

Anyway, my next try is going to be Gurlerlain's Mentfolia, which sounds promising. I've tried Herba Fresca, which is ok, but a bit too green for me. I really wish someone would just make a sweet mint/vanilla/powder type fragrance. Come on Demeter, how about a Doublemint gum or spearmint gum scent That's what I'm really looking for (maybe something like Le Male, with the sweet mint amped up about 3 times as much). Anyway, my mint search continues as well.
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 31st December 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Anyway, my next try is going to be Gurlerlain's Mentfolia, which sounds promising.
    Mentafollia is a great one also...it has a great mint note to it, but it's a little more about the tea note than the mint note, but the mint note is strong, natural, and long lasting.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    For pure enjoyment of a mint fragrance I continue to prefer Comme des Garcons Peppermint of the Sherbert Series. This masterful fragrance has strong doses of pepper and mint, peppermint and and a warm woody musk base. A beautiful little fragrance from Bertrand Duchaufour created back in his incense and transparent woods experimental days hidden away in the cute little nail polish inspired CDG Sherbert bottles.
    This! Or my other two mint favorites: Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca and Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Try to find a bottle of Creed Selection Verte. The best mint/citrus I've tried and has good longevity.

FM Geranium
    Roadster.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Try to find a bottle of Creed Selection Verte. The best mint/citrus I've tried and has good longevity.
    Agreed!

Actually, do give Givenchy Play Sport a sample if you see it. It's more of peppermint/very light vanilla, but there are some woods, a green note (spearmint...basil? Not sure), and a hint of ginger. There's a subtle pepper mixed underneath too but it really just adds body to the cool mint accord. It's stays fresh and subtly minty throughout. It's never a huge toothpastey or candy cane like mint, but it does have, as said, a somewhat moderate/subtle mint from top to bottom.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post

I own this and love this... It should surely fit the bill for you!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Another for Lush's Dirty
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

For mint soliflores:
    Guerlain AA Mentafollia
    Both CDG's

If you want an extremely light, clean Mint/grass fragrance:
    Guerlain AA Herba Fresca

If you want a fresh, vibrant Mint, mixed with citrus/herbal/floral base that dries down very green:
    Creed Selection Verte

If you want a slight taste of cooling mint, with a huge cool blast of smooth medicinal herbals like Lavender and chamomile, over a base of Oakmoss, this one is truly excellent:
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge

Lacoste booster is nice, but I don't think it has as much a blast of peppermint like those three listed. it's a smooth, sweet subdued mint, despite the entire frag being mint-centric, it doesn't really come off as pepperminty in particular.

Heeley and Malle are nice, but neither is herbal at all. One is essentially Peppermint oil and citronellol-heavy geranium, and that's it. the Heeley is too fruity and femme I think, despite the topnotes being killer.

I've not tried Boss XY, but now will. the mention of Mint and basil reminds me of another totally unheralded room spray from L'Artisan that is EXCELLENT.

L'Artisan's Parfum De Feuilles. A huge blast of mint, strong anisic basil, and green grass abounds. A tomato leaf note in there as well. It's like a more tranparent Sisley Eau De Campagne mixed with Malle's Geranium's top end. Will be my SOTD tommorrow.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

You may want to give Jacomo Paradox Blue a try.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)