Code of Conduct

Default Peppermint/herbal fragrance

Hello again!! My vacation is ending so I'm looking for a new fragrance to wear everyday at morning, with very clear peppermint notes, very fresh and herbal but that lasts about 5-6 hours at least.. Cartier roadster??
    Thank you!

Default Re: Peppermint/herbal fragrance

Booster by Lacoste

bleu autumn haze

Oxford & Cambridge has a nice peppermint presence with lavender and oakmoss.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Cartier Pasha Fraicheur Menthe

Quote Originally Posted by victorcotrim View Post
    Cartier roadster??
    If you're looking for an herbal mint, that's the one. Smells like actual mint leaves, as opposed to toothpaste/breath mints.

I have a loreal moisturising gel that smells like peppermint, thats the smell I'm looking for. Something very fresh!!I'm full of gourmands and woody fragrances right now, I want something different

I'm a Roadster fan too. Sample it, I think it may hit the bullseye for you.

Yes, Roadster sounds good to me.
    Very nice scent for regular wear that I don't really have anything negative to say about, unlike the Roadster Sport samples that I mistakenly bought last week! Other mint that I like is Live Jazz but I guess that's not what you are looking for.

No no no no no...not Roadster...it is SO not about the mint. It's a very woody frag with a tiny little bit of mint. I don't know why this is always the first one mentioned when it comes to people asking for mint. SOOOOOO not a mint centered frag!! If you want mint, and an herbal mint at that here are my suggestions (I am a HUGE mint fan by the way):
    Lush Dirty-Doesn't get any mintier than this one. It's straight up in your face mint with a sort of clay scent added in.
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca-Fresh mint leaves mixed with grass-fantastic realistic mint.
    Lacoste Booster-Super cheap and in your face mint mixed with woods-This one is MINT mixed with some woods, instead of WOODS mixed with a little bit of mint, that one would be Roadster.
    CDG Play Green-Mint and Basil-all about the mint and herbs.

Now, those are mint frags!!! If you are looking for mint centered...mint as the highlight frags those are the best I have encountered. If you don't want mint as a highlight but a very minimal player then go for Roadster of Live Jazz...those have very little mint. I have discovered that people that aren't big mint people talk about Roadster and Live Jazz as big mint frags, and yes there is a little mint in them, but that does not mean they are "mint" frags. If you want mint...in your face mint...frags all about mint, go for the list I suggested. By the way, Live Jazz is ALLLLLLL about Cilantro with about 5 seconds of mint in the very beginning...I'm just saying.

That's what I thought after seeing some reviews. I don't want a mint that smells like blue trident gum. I want a very fresh and "aquatic" peppermint. The mint in blue trident gum is too harsh. I want something fresh and clean. Probably going to try Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Herb fresca and Lacoste Booster

You could try "Atlantic" by Strange Invisible Perfumes. It is a masculine, well made, good ingredients, nice balance, with an interesting note of peppermint in the heart. It leans more to the oriental, rather than the herbal, though.

Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur is what your looking for in the mint department

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur is what your looking for in the mint department
    I knew I forgot one. Big +1 on this one. It's really mostly about Geranium, but it has a strong mint note that lasts throughout the entire frag. It's a great one, can't believe I forgot it. It's higher priced than Herba Fresca (about $80 USD for a 125ml bottle) and Lacoste Booster (about 10 per oz), but it is a great frag even with the higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by Roper-Hall View Post
    You could try "Atlantic" by Strange Invisible Perfumes. It is a masculine, well made, good ingredients, nice balance, with an interesting note of peppermint in the heart. It leans more to the oriental, rather than the herbal, though.
    I came here to suggest the same.

If what I believe I've been sampling (I'm doing a blind sampling experiment right now...so I'm not absolutely positive) is Atlantic than I think this is a great recommendation. Nice one!

I'm actually wearing Atlantic (or what I think is Atlantic) now. It's opening is like a cold, bracing, icy wind powered by peppermint. But you don't smell the peppermint so much as feel it. Well, you do, but it's not in your face, or presented as you would expect. The peppermint lends a chill to the citrus/lemon note and this persists for hours. I think it's really what drives the fragrance. The peppermint is definitely on the herbal side, nothing like gum or toothpaste, as it's not the least bit sweet. It's a great choice for a guy, masculine and quality all the way through, and one I've been thinking will make an excellent scent to throw on at 6 in the morning as I head out to work.

It could be exactly what you're looking for.

You can order samples of it at surrendertochance.com

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    No no no no no...not Roadster...it is SO not about the mint. It's a very woody frag with a tiny little bit of mint. I don't know why this is always the first one mentioned when it comes to people asking for mint. SOOOOOO not a mint centered frag!!
    LOL

I know what you mean, though I'd argue with you that the 1st hour is ALL about mint. After that, it's more woods and vanilla, and around the 3 hour mark the mint has all but disappeared.

But what I don't understand is why Roadster gets recommended as a "FRESH" fragrance. It's not fresh at all for the majority of its duration, and is mostly a warm, sweet woody-earthy type of frag.

BTW, how'd you forget to mention Menthe Fraiche?
    Last edited by Buysblind; 31st December 2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: wording

Another one for Roadster.

Uhmm, Heeley Menthe Fraiche? I'm surprised no one has mentioned it by now; many consider it 2b the niche version of Lacoste Booster.. Guerlain Mentafollia also has a few sprigs of mint tucked into a bouquet of indifferent flowers. It isn't very interesting IMHO.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

Overcome By Fumes

Jacques Fath Green Water

Hey Kybid, I would of just tagged the following link in reference 2 ur master class on mint & call it a day:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302378

I personally prefer LUSH Dirty just cuz it's got all the ancillary products like body wash, etc to prolong the mint EXP.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

Piper Nigrum, Piper Nigrum, Piper Nigrum. I like Roadster and Oxford and Cambridge, too, but from what you've said, Piper Nigrum is the one you need. I can't believe nobody has suggested it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    BTW, how'd you forget to mention Menthe Fraiche?
    To be honest...I have to revisit Menthe Fraiche...it was the first frag that I ever heard of that had mint in it...let alone it being all about mint. I never knew that people were using mint in frags...and that got me started on this whole fragrance obsession thing. I tried Menthe Fraiche and wanted to love it, but while I do smell mint throughout the life of the fragrance...which is too short lived...I smell the Yerba Mate even more...which isn't a bad thing, per say, it's more that I wanted more mint less yerba mate. Then, it seemed to turn sour on my skin about an hour after application. I was disappointed...nonetheless, it is a mint centered frag and I shouldn't let my personal experience get in the way. I haven't had a chance to give Menthe Fraiche a sniff in about a year, so I need to give it another try. Thanks for the reminder of this frag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by googl.plex1 View Post
    Hey Kybid, I would of just tagged the following link in reference 2 ur master class on mint & call it a day:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302378

I personally prefer LUSH Dirty just cuz it's got all the ancillary products like body wash, etc to prolong the mint EXP.
    Just saw this one after I had posted the above post....true, I should remember that I have gone on my rant in other posts...no need to do it again right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    This.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Roadster ism already a very good choice along these lines, I'd also recommend Horizon by Guy Laroche.

+1 on Herba Fresca, Oxford & Cambridge & Geranium Pour Monsieur.

I'm curious about the new L'Heure Vertueuse III from Mathilde Laurent (Herba Fresca, Roadster) to see how the whole mint, lavender, herbal thing stacks up. Initial reports are very encouraging - this woman knows what she is doing with these sorts of crisp, green notes.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 31st December 2012 at 09:33 AM.

It's not at all popular on here but give Armani Code Sport a try. Peppermint and spearmint with a nice vetiver, ginger and rosemary dry down.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Hugo Boss XY. A clear and aquatic mint along with basil, over a clean musk.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

+1 on Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca and Geranium Pour Monsieur.

-1 on Roadster It's definitely not herbal and the mint is very shortlived.

Dior Cologne Royale is an exact match of your description.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Oxford & Cambridge has a nice peppermint presence with lavender and oakmoss.
    +1........

...my SOTD: the distinguished Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier...!

+1 Lush's Dirty

Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    +1 Lush's Dirty
    Agreed. I went through this last Summer. Tried all of the above and more. I came to the conclusion that Lush's Dirty and CdG Peppermint were the best fit for me. The former being the more herbal of the two.

For pure enjoyment of a mint fragrance I continue to prefer Comme des Garcons Peppermint of the Sherbert Series. This masterful fragrance has strong doses of pepper and mint, peppermint and and a warm woody musk base. A beautiful little fragrance from Bertrand Duchaufour created back in his incense and transparent woods experimental days hidden away in the cute little nail polish inspired CDG Sherbert bottles.

Sorry guys but I cant afford expensive niche right now, I'm looking for something under US$80

Dirty is fairly cheap, actually.

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Piper Nigrum, Piper Nigrum, Piper Nigrum. I like Roadster and Oxford and Cambridge, too, but from what you've said, Piper Nigrum is the one you need. I can't believe nobody has suggested it already.
    +1

But you also have to like black pepper to enjoy this one, peppermint is very prominent for the first hour or so, then you can clearly detect the black pepper and the usual strong herbal quality that is LV's signature, then it becomes a little woody and ambery. I think you can get a 50ml around $80-$90US.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Personally, I'm a mint fan & have been searching for a mint scent myself for over 2 years with no luck. Although, I tend to prefer a more candy/gum/toothpaste kind of mint. Anyway, I've tried Roadster, Menthe Fraiche, Live Jazz, Booster, Dirty, Demeter Mint Julep, and still haven't found what I'm looking for yet. My favorite out of the bunch is Live Jazz, which I do like, but mint is not the starring note in that one.

Anyway, here's my take on these. Roadster (not enough mint. To me, it's all about vetiver & some weird, sour type herbal note, maybe galbanum?). Live Jazz (great sweet spearmint gum note that I do love, but cilantro and rhubarb are the dominant notes. I like those as well, but am not a fan of ambergris, so the basenote kinda annoys me on this one). Menthe Fraiche (Very in your face, bracing mint, which is nice, but it dries down with a weird off putting sweet sweaty type note I don't like. Probably mate'). Demeter Mint Julep (I got very little mint out of this one. It smelled more like cloves to me, mixed with some sort of sweet amber. Maybe mint juleps contain cloves, I don't know). Lush Dirty (this one is just weird. Yeah, it's minty, but it's mixed with an odd mineral type note and a ton of lavender. It almost smells like mint powder on top of some kind of bandage or diaper to me. The mint is great, but that flinty note mixed with lavender is awful).
    LaCoste Booster (I may revisit this one, but to the best of my memory, the eucalyptus note was the dominant player & not mint. It reminded me more of a Hall's cough drop).

Anyway, my next try is going to be Gurlerlain's Mentfolia, which sounds promising. I've tried Herba Fresca, which is ok, but a bit too green for me. I really wish someone would just make a sweet mint/vanilla/powder type fragrance. Come on Demeter, how about a Doublemint gum or spearmint gum scent That's what I'm really looking for (maybe something like Le Male, with the sweet mint amped up about 3 times as much). Anyway, my mint search continues as well.
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 31st December 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Anyway, my next try is going to be Gurlerlain's Mentfolia, which sounds promising.
    Mentafollia is a great one also...it has a great mint note to it, but it's a little more about the tea note than the mint note, but the mint note is strong, natural, and long lasting.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    For pure enjoyment of a mint fragrance I continue to prefer Comme des Garcons Peppermint of the Sherbert Series. This masterful fragrance has strong doses of pepper and mint, peppermint and and a warm woody musk base. A beautiful little fragrance from Bertrand Duchaufour created back in his incense and transparent woods experimental days hidden away in the cute little nail polish inspired CDG Sherbert bottles.
    This! Or my other two mint favorites: Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca and Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Try to find a bottle of Creed Selection Verte. The best mint/citrus I've tried and has good longevity.

FM Geranium
    Roadster.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Try to find a bottle of Creed Selection Verte. The best mint/citrus I've tried and has good longevity.
    Agreed!

Actually, do give Givenchy Play Sport a sample if you see it. It's more of peppermint/very light vanilla, but there are some woods, a green note (spearmint...basil? Not sure), and a hint of ginger. There's a subtle pepper mixed underneath too but it really just adds body to the cool mint accord. It's stays fresh and subtly minty throughout. It's never a huge toothpastey or candy cane like mint, but it does have, as said, a somewhat moderate/subtle mint from top to bottom.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post

I own this and love this... It should surely fit the bill for you!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Another for Lush's Dirty
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

For mint soliflores:
    Guerlain AA Mentafollia
    Both CDG's

If you want an extremely light, clean Mint/grass fragrance:
    Guerlain AA Herba Fresca

If you want a fresh, vibrant Mint, mixed with citrus/herbal/floral base that dries down very green:
    Creed Selection Verte

If you want a slight taste of cooling mint, with a huge cool blast of smooth medicinal herbals like Lavender and chamomile, over a base of Oakmoss, this one is truly excellent:
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge

Lacoste booster is nice, but I don't think it has as much a blast of peppermint like those three listed. it's a smooth, sweet subdued mint, despite the entire frag being mint-centric, it doesn't really come off as pepperminty in particular.

Heeley and Malle are nice, but neither is herbal at all. One is essentially Peppermint oil and citronellol-heavy geranium, and that's it. the Heeley is too fruity and femme I think, despite the topnotes being killer.

I've not tried Boss XY, but now will. the mention of Mint and basil reminds me of another totally unheralded room spray from L'Artisan that is EXCELLENT.

L'Artisan's Parfum De Feuilles. A huge blast of mint, strong anisic basil, and green grass abounds. A tomato leaf note in there as well. It's like a more tranparent Sisley Eau De Campagne mixed with Malle's Geranium's top end. Will be my SOTD tommorrow.

You may want to give Jacomo Paradox Blue a try.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)