Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default best acqua di parma?

for a while, i thought acqua di parma was just one fragrance, but now i've realized that it's an entire house.

is it a remarkable house, are the prices reasonable for the quality you get?

what is the most popular acqua di parma fragrance and which one is your favorite?

Default Re: best acqua di parma?

Although loved by many here on Basenotes, not remarkable IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Although loved by many here on Basenotes, not remarkable IMO.
    I agree. I have been totally underwhelmed by most of their offerings.

You really need to experiment the house to see if there is something that you like.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i heard it just smelled like a typical blast of citrus.

am i right in thinking its just gonna be like hermes orange concentree

Unsure which one is the most popular, but my favorites from this house include Colonia, Colonia Assoluta and Cipresso di Toscana.

I love Colonia for an every day straight forward EdC. I've tried others, but this is the best.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Basenotes Member

Disclaimer: I might be a little biased, since AdP Colonia was the second frag I bought once "enlightened" (ie. discovering you could actually collect perfume), the first being Terre d'Hermès.

Anyway, I have ended up buying quite a lot of the line, both masculine and feminine (for my GF) and I like them all quite a lot. I really don't find them a "blast of citrus", with the possible exception of Essenza - if anything, they all tend to be a little on the polite/floral/powdery side. Still, I believe they're pretty good value for money even once you factor in the inevitable "we're a house with a lot of history and Cary Grant was our customer" price bump. Better yet, they're absolutely prodigal with samples (at least as far as I can tell), so you shouldn't have trouble finding out for yourself.

BTW, judging from your favorites, I'd say you should try AdP Intensa Oud Concentréè (and whatever the rest of the silly name is): I found it one of the most wearable Ouds out there, while still being very very similar to the rest of the masculine line - if you like it, chances are you'll like the rest. Pity the price is a bit steep (thanks to the "natural" Oud oil - like we didn't know better).

AdP is a quality house but never has been a favorite of mine. I tried the well known "Colonia" but wasn't impressed and wondered what all the fuss was about.

Don't know what is the most popular AdP but I'd have a difficult time living without Iris Nobile. Adore it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgcd View Post
    I'd say you should try AdP Intensa Oud Concentréè (and whatever the rest of the silly name is): I found it one of the most wearable Ouds out there, while still being very very similar to the rest of the masculine line - if you like it, chances are you'll like the rest. Pity the price is a bit steep (thanks to the "natural" Oud oil - like we didn't know better).
    This is the only one from their line I'm interested in, and I'm looking forward to sampling it eventually. I have tried a few things from them but have found them all to be somwhat sterile and tame; none of them really do much for me, but I hope their oud scent will be more intriguing.

Sound Scents

While I personally did not like Intensa, the rest of the main AdP line fragrances are excellent and highly recommended with Colonia my favorite. The Blu line, however, was universally disappointing and I can't recommend any.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

AdP Colonia was my first niche and have owned a bottle on/off for a good few years now. I rarely use much now as the weather here doesn't really fit the scent for me, so I won't be buying another 100ml bottle once I've used mine up (I do have the travel size bottles though in the leather pouch).

I am however really loving Colonia Essenza in these colder months. It's a great play on rose, with patchouli and vetiver, so just my cup of tea. It's just the right amount of spice and fresh notes, so a complete all-round great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo Saggio View Post
    I love Colonia for an every day straight forward EdC. I've tried others, but this is the best.
    +1.... I found the original to be the best too.

Sampled most of their line, nothing struck me as exceptional but I did purchase Colonia Assoluta.

It's still Colonia, but Iris Nobile is close
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

Profumo (Vintage) is a masterpiece, but given the fact that it is a fullblownoldschoolnoholdsbarred chypre I don't see how it can be sustained.

Colonia - been using it since the brand relaunch in the mid '90s and although I have bought any recently I imagine it's still pretty decent, isn't it? I honestly think the flankers are all a waste of time, even the Ellena / Duchaufor 'joint effort'. They seem to get more banal and synthetic with each release.

Cipresso di Toscana was quite nice but they discontinued it - very shortlived
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 15th January 2013 at 01:07 PM.