Code of Conduct

Default Please help me pick a perfume for my mum

Hi all!

So, I've decided to buy a present for my mum (she is 52), and it will be a perfume. Now, she is not a pretentious woman, I believe she hardly ever had an "expensive" frag, and by that I mean 50+ euros. I am also ashamed to say that I don't really know her taste in perfume, but what I do know is that she's told me that she likes floral perfumes and that she used to wear Coty's Pret a Porter and liked it (the notes listed somewhere on the vast internet are: top - orange, red grapefruit, rose, violet leaves, tamarind flower; middle - fresia, magnolia, nutmeg, cardamon, black pepper; base - oakmoss, sandalwood). Oh, and she doesn't like sweet perfumes. Now, I've done some research around, and I've come up with some options to be taken into consideration, and I would love if you gals would chip in to this investigation of sorts So, here's my selection:

1. Kenzo Flower - basically the first option that pops into mind
    2. YSL Paris - lots of flowers, kinda old school, I wonder if she knows it?
    3. Givenchy Amarige - haven't smelled it, any suggestions?
    4. Armani Code - not really a floral, but I really really like it, although I don't know how much she would
    5. Lancome Miracle - oh the bottle is so ugly... but the notes seem OK, what do you think?
    6. Guerlain Shalimar - OK, OK, before you start chopping my head off for it not being a floral at all (quite the opposite I guess), I do believe that it would suit her personality, but then again, will she like how it smells? Leather and incense seems a bit much for the fragrance non-connoisseur.

That's my list, and please add to it as you deem fit. Oh, I forgot to mention that this will be a blind buy, so no time for sampling etc. And I do not see myself trying on women's perfume at the local mall, so that's out of the question too. Thanks once again and I'm anxiously waiting for your replies!

Alin
    Last edited by necrosero; 30th December 2012 at 08:59 AM.

Default Re: Please help me pick a perfume for my mum

Hi,
    Reading your post I think that Miracle will be a very good choice , being an almost 100% floral. I can suggest you J'adore from Dior . Amarige is nice but is a stong perfume your mother must like tuberose or other stong smelling flowers to enjoy it. You can try also Verry Irresitible ( roses but soft) from Givenchy.
    Or a nice and soft whispering floral with good staying power: Cartier de Lune being somehow quit close to Pret a Porter
    Hope that all these will be useful to you

Overcome By Fumes

I really like Paris and was impressed by Flower when I first sniffed it. I actually like Amarige as well, but as noted, it can come off as too strong very easily. I love Shalimar but it doesn't really meet your suggested criteria. I have not smelled Miracle in some time but recall it seeming a bit humdrum. I don't know Code.

Blog Entries

YSL Paris was my first thought on reading your post; it's a rose & violet bomb!

l personally find Kenzo Flower rather shampoo-like & insipid.

Amarige; please do NOT blind-buy this, as many folks find it offensively strong!

Armani Code l find to be a softer version of Alien, but the honey note makes it rather sweet.

l am not familiar with Miracle.

Shalimar is of course a classic, but it has a lot of vanilla in the drydown, which your mum may not enjoy.

Do let us know what you pick, & what she thinks of it!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

OK, thanks for all your input, a few more options popped out, what do you think of these:

- Vera Wang's Sheer Veil
    - Bvlgari's Jasmine Noir
    - Estee Lauder Pleasures
    - Gianfranco Ferre's Rose Princesse

Thanks once again for all your replies.

Blog Entries

From your new list, l am only familiar with Jasmin Noir. lt's a nice, warm floral, although l find it rather lacking in projection & longevity.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

As others were saying, Amarige is extremely loud, so I would discourage unless she knows and likes it. Paris is relatively big too, but it is rose centered, so it can be ok if you know she likes roses a lot. My favorite in your lists would actually be Kenzo Flower, which I do like a lot. Clean, almost sparkly floral; it's not sweet, but be aware that there is a touch of melon.

Estee Lauders can also be a good choice, they tend to have good staying power. Pleasures is a very clean, almost soapy floral. But in the range, I would actually suggest two others, Private Collection is a green floral (so ok if she likes a bit of green-ness) and white linen is a smooth, sparkly rose floral.

cacio

I have suggested several fragrances for my mother (she loves florals). Her favorites: Diorissimo, Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia (Estée Lauder) and Chanel N°5 Eau Premiere. Shalimar was a no go.