Code of Conduct

Default Article: The Basenotes' Writers favourite fragrances of 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Article: The Basenotes' Writers favourite fragrances of 2012

Excellent reviews by all involved! So many interesting new fragrances to hunt down.I look forward to the year ahead, and wish a happy, healthy, scent-filled new year to one and all. Thanks to Grant and his associates for keeping the flag up at Basenotes.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting.

Intrigued by Nick's mention of Angela Flanders' Aqua Alba. Made me wonder how similar it is to George Dodd's Robbie Burns?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this article and the way the authors write. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to reading more in 2013!

Post Thanks / Like

Finally someone gave some love to Oud by MFK. Totally underrated. Me love that juice :P

Post Thanks / Like

Nice round-up. I'm certainly with alfarom on Songe, Encens Mythique & Mito - outstanding and original creations that reveal more nuances with each successive wear. I would add Myrrhe et Delires and Ode a la Vanille II Madagascar to T. Wasser's contributions for 2012 well worth investigating, and Shanghai & L'Heure De Nuit are both better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick, too.

I look forward to trying the Arquiste line at some point and I'm intrigued by Etat's Afternoon of a Faun - the Debussy/ Diaghalev/ Mitsouko refs in the name and the various comments floating around shot this to top of my 'to try' list. Also keen to check out the limited edition Musc Tonkin and Mathilde Laurent's L'Heure Vertueuse.

Along with the above mentioned I think the Interludes, Beloved & Opus VI from Amouage and L'Artisan Seville a l'Aube are standouts, the Diptyque Volutes pair are well worth looking at and the Prada Iris Extrait is an understated but very sophisticated addition to that line.

Happy New Year

Post Thanks / Like

Personally i think the 2012 has been a fervent year on the olfactory floor, a year full of new interesting creations and rich of perfumed novelties in my personal experience. I took confidence with the wonderful O'Driu' creations (in particular Laurhum, my absolute favorite Vis et Honor and the ultimate Avantgarde Fetish Perfume). Recently i purchased directly in Paris the ultimate Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum version (basically different from the red leather wrapping Edp previous oud formula which i've yet purchased two years ago), another favorite of mine ( a version more loyal to the original Edt) to add to my collection of different Habit Rouge's formulas (i own also a great Edc vintage and others). Along the 2012 i've enjoyed so much the new great Heeley's olfactory fatigue, the Agarwood (i tried also Bubblegum Chic and L'Amandiere that didn't impress me so much), and the last year was also the launching time for creations as Armani Prive' Cuir Noir, Interlude Man and Woman by Amouage, the new provocatory and hyper-synthetic Joop Homme Wild, Ted Lapidus Black Extreme, One Million Absolutely Gold, Black Xs L'excess and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine Eau de Minuit, apart the interesting Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud Contrentree. I was lucky to pick up somewhere a vintage Caron Fleurs de Rocaille which i gave as a present to my mum, presented recently to my girlfriend a tandem Cinnabar and Youth Dew Amber Nude than furthermore purchased a vintage Romeo Gigli classic Pour Homme, a super vintage Nino Cerruti by Cerruti and the wonderful and hard to find Venezia Uomo by Laura Biagiotti. Along the past year i took confidence with a royal Mito Vero Profumo (on the side of the great Onda Edp), appreciated also on my skin a great Black Musk Montale on the side of a good new Dior Homme Intense which is really a compliment collector. Finally i purchased a Creed Aventus bottle under preassure of my girlfriend (really craving for its smell) and yes, i admit, under attack of the widespread suggestions (i have anyway to recognize that Aventus is well appointed and gathers a lot of compliments around. I appreciate its fruity smokiness). Fragrances that impressed me a lot in the course of the last year were the great Amouage Lyric Man (which i had occasion to discover), an interesting Maria Lux Deeply but also an aqueous Korloff Noir, Sombre Negra by Yosh, the whole new luxury Dior Line La collection Privee, mainly Patchouli Imperial, leather Oud and Oud Ispahan. In the course of the past year i've enjoyed and worn a lot also Cuba Czeck&Speak, the interesting V by Clive Christian (i own just a sample), M Puredistance, A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir, Aedes de Venustas (the new), Mazzolari Lui, and finally the immortal (at least in my collection) Shiseido Basala, Black Tourmaline, Scent Intense Costume National, Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Havana Aramis. Finally is important to underline the fervent Guerlain's olfactory recent activity with the new La Petit Robe Noir 2012 (not a favorite of mine for sure), Les Deserts d'Orient serie and finally l'Heure de Nuit and the new l'Heure Bleue different limited editions. A wonderful 2013 to all the addicted of this huge olfactory world.
    Last edited by Darvant; 1st January 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Louise - I am so honored by your mention of my Tango perfume, thank you very much! I love your writing so this is really thrilling for me, and congratulations on your Marie Claire and Cosmopolitan nominations! Happy 2013 to you and everyone on Basenotes!!
    Mandy Aftel

Quote Originally Posted by aftelier View Post
    Louise - I am so honored by your mention of my Tango perfume, thank you very much! I love your writing so this is really thrilling for me, and congratulations on your Marie Claire and Cosmopolitan nominations! Happy 2013 to you and everyone on Basenotes!!
    Mandy Aftel
    Mandy, you made me blush! Thank you xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teepeeasel View Post
    Finally someone gave some love to Oud by MFK. Totally underrated. Me love that juice :P
    I have to concur with this pick. There are alot (way too many) OUDs coming but by far, MFK hit this one dead on.
    Though I don't care for the opening notes, the dry down on this scent makes me want to wear it more and more.