Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I want to buy another Creed, and why I think people love Creed

Controversial topic but seriously, I don't care what other people say about Creed. And I think I know why I dig Creed so much.

Recently I brought a close friend (a girl) to sample the few niche fragrances that are available in town. She's never smelled any other niche other than Aventus and GIT on me, which she really likes. I first went to try Frederic Malle, where they had this ridiculously cool way of smelling fragrances. They had these huge glass chambers which they would spray the fragrance inside, close the glass door and wait, and the invite me to smell the fragrance. After that they would turn on some vacuum fan thing and its ready for another test. We tried many of them, L'Eau D'Hiver was my favourite. Then we went to try Tom Fords, Serge Lutens, Bond No. 9, Thierry Mugler, Penhaligons and last of all, Creed.

I've been in the market for new fragrances, especially for the cooler nights since this is the only time of the year where I live when the nights might just get a little cool. So fragrances like OS, NdN, New Haarlem have been on my shortlist. I tried every Creed available, except those I already own. My friend was sulking the whole time complaining to me about how poor niche is considering how much they cost. She hated NdN which upset me, and none of the Bonds were doing it for her. But when it got to Creed she finally gave a few nice remarks, like "Finally, something that actually smells nice and not weird". She enjoyed VIW and SMW the most. But she didn't have anything bad to say about any Creed fragrances.

I came out with a conclusion, why Creed is so popular to some and disliked by others as well. I think Creed somehow caters to people who are so used to designer fragrances. Their creations somehow are easily liked and isn't something that smells so different from what people are used to. I believe that's the reason why both me and my friend feel that somehow Creed smells better from other niche houses. I'm still entirely new to niche, so you're hearing this from someone that'll probably have the same opinion as someone who's not into fragrances at all, but appreciates smelling good. I likes such fragrances. Ones which are easy to wear, easy to like, and ultimately, makes me happy. I'm by no means bashing other niche houses. I was very impressed with the Tom Ford Private Blend Collection.

Okay enough about my long story, I DO want to acquire another Creed. I adore their bottles and scents so I have this feeling, they will be the only house I actually want to collect. I started with the 3 most obvious ones - MI, Aventus and GIT. So I'm looking to build on that slowly. I'm going to avoid those that I don't see myself wearing, like Royal Oud or Tabarome or BdP, just because I really, really can't pull off mature smelling scents. Anything that's old smelling puts me off really badly.

I can't make up my mind now that's why I started this thread. It's really between
    VIW
    SMW
    Erolfa
    OS
    OV

I can't buy all at once because I only want the 4 oz bottles. Somehow not very keen on SMW because it reminds me of MI somehow. SMW can wait.

Default Re: I want to buy another Creed, and why I think people love Creed

Own all of them in large bottles and like them all. If you can't get all at once, just buy one at a time.

From your list of ones to get next, I would recommend VIW.

I am not the biggest fan of SMW - nice, but not amazing.
    Erolfa is good but not quite great - better warm weather fragrances out there.
    OS and OV are both fantastic, but if money is a constraint you could get low-cost substitutes (Mont Blanc Individuel, Mugler Cologne) until you have enough to purchase the Creed versions. But I am yet to smell anything like VIW.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your hypothesis about Creed is correct on the whole and that is the very reason Creed does not appeal to me generally. Yes, they do indeed smell relatively pleasant for the most part with a few exceptions, but if I am paying the kind of money Creed wants for their scents, I expect a lot more than that (as most current designer scents get you the same for a heck of a lot less).

I got on the Creed bandwagon early-on years ago when I was first getting into fragrances and it is a good gateway house to more eclectic and distinctive offerings (as is Tom Ford). That said, I would not make too many assumptions just yet as to only wanting to collect a given brand, as your tastes may very well change over time. Mine certainly did and back then it would have seemed inconceivable. If you "stay true" to Creed in the end, at least you have found a house that appeals to your tastes so good for you, just never say never.

As to your direct question about the Creeds on your list, I can't help there as I am not a fan of any of them. You own two of the Creeds I purchased years ago at sharp discounts and still like, and the only other one in my collection that I like but would not repurchase today is Himalaya.

My final piece of advice for what it's worth is to not give up so quickly on the classics that you classify as "old". Those scents have been around for a long while, and there is good reason. Trends come and go, and many names you hear about today that are "hot" will be bargain bin fodder at TJ Maxx and other discounters in short order. The classics are timeless and will endure. Give them another chance if you can as anyone can "pull them off".

Good luck...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Same advice I have for anyone interested in collecting Creed: start with the grey caps. They're the most interesting and quirky, and they're likely to increase in market value. You'll quickly get over the "smells old" notion. The grey caps have gone out the back door as old school and come back through the front door as modern and quirky.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 1st January 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creed is kin to a designer scent in the way that, relative to the niche world, they are accessible and well known. Their creations are safe, and try to appeal to the tastes of many people rather than a peculiar tastes. So they have the general approval like designers. But the quality of the scents, distribution, and price clearly make it niche. And Creeds are worth what you pay.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's true the unfamiliar notes will smell 'weird'. Which was probably why she didn't take to Noir de Noir. Out of the few Creed you shortlisted, I'd go with Original Vetiver 1st.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to sample the gray cap Creeds. And also the Royal Exclusive line. Will be looking out for splits.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    My final piece of advice for what it's worth is to not give up so quickly on the classics that you classify as "old". Those scents have been around for a long while, and there is good reason. Trends come and go, and many names you hear about today that are "hot" will be bargain bin fodder at TJ Maxx and other discounters in short order. The classics are timeless and will endure. Give them another chance if you can as anyone can "pull them off".
    Thanks for the great piece of advice. I fully understand where you're coming from and I do hope I'll be able to pull off such scents in the future. But as of now I just don't feel right, even though I might think the fragrance is fantastic. For example I really liked Chanel Allure Homme when I tested it. Thinking its more powerful, "better" than it's flankers I bought it. I gave it a few wearings and I realized wow this is seriously mature smelling, really doesn't fit my personality. But I like it, and I really think it'll suit a very classy gentleman. Perhaps one day when I grow older I'll be a real classy gentleman, perhaps..

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the ones you list IMO Original Santal is the next best choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Original Vetiver or Silver Mountain Water from your list.

Creed gets a lot of love and a lot of hate from the fragrance community.

Those that love Creed cite their extremely well-made, well blended fragrances that offer exceptional ingredients. They love how the house has a lot to offer in the fresh and citrus category, and argue (oftentimes) that Creed does citrus better than any other major niche house.

Those that hate (on) Creed cite their often poor longevity, average projection, overly pricy costs if bought in boutiques, and lack of creativity or ability to push the fragrance envelope.

I fall into the former category, mostly. I believe Creed takes the word "niche" and uses it as if we were in a biology class. Creed has carved out a niche, or, in other words, has found a vacant spot in the fragrance ecosystem and built upon it. This niche is fresh, often light scents that are sometimes heavy on woods, sometimes heavy on citrus that focus on those very same quality ingredients. I know all fragrances are synthetic, but some smell more natural than others. This is why I love Creed. I don't want them to by my be-all-end-all house, and they don't try to be that. They do what they do best, and brush off the hate while rolling in the money they make from doing so. Not to mention you can buy 4oz of a Creed fragrance online via the grey market for $125, which is hard to beat volume to price wise for that kind of quality.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Now, as per your question of what to get, may I suggest you try out Original Vetiver and Himalaya. OV is a very fresh scent, and it plays with the concept of vetiver more as a soapy, slightly sweet citrus rather than a dark, brooding woods. It's a handsome scent indeed, and is on my long list for future purchases. Himalaya is kind of the black sheep in the house, commercially at least. It seems very few in the fragrance community talk about it, and they cite it's "safe" feel as a reason why. I agree it smells a bit like Axe, but it is just so far above those that once you wear it a few times, you'll get it. I've used this image before, but to me it smells like a frosted mountaintop surrounded by pine trees, with the fresh smell of lemon wafting through the air, all wrapped in an icy musk.

Give them a try, and as always, stay fragrant!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of Original Vetiver, from your list. It is not a typical vetiver and, in fact, many question the validity of its name, but I find it to be as aromatic, light, and refreshing as the Guerlain. This could be said of many less expensive perfumes out there, I know, but I have not found anything similar to date. The recent price hikes, across the board at Creed, have made buying the larger formats rather prohibitive. A 30ml. was sufficient for my indulgence.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you as well. I fall in the same category as you - it was easier for me to like Creed than any other niche i tried so far.

From your list and preference, i think original santal will work for you if you want something to be used for night out/cool weather/long lasting
    SMW if you want something versatile, refreshing. But don't expect longevity like OS.
    If you don't like mature smelling then i feel you might not like OV.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I own the ones you already have and I am quite happy with them all. I can't see not owning them in future, although they are each used for their own respective purpose, e.g. MI is almost exclusively used in the warmer months.

All in all I see what you mean about SMW and just can't warrant that you get that at all. If its too close to MI there's no need to splash out on it in my opinion. My first ever Creed was Original Vetiver and I still think it's worthy of owning. It's quite unique and a great scent to use in the office or in non-cool seasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently I own the ones you already have and I am quite happy with them all. I can't see not owning them in future, although they are each used for their own respective purpose, e.g. MI is almost exclusively used in the warmer months.

All in all I see what you mean about SMW and just can't warrant that you get that at all. If its too close to MI there's no need to splash out on it in my opinion. My first ever Creed was Original Vetiver and I still think it's worthy of owning. It's quite unique and a great scent to use in the office or in non-cool seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Original Vetiver or Silver Mountain Water from your list.
    These would be my picks as well. OV is one of my current favorites...a very refreshing balance of citrus & light vetiver. Extremely versatile & wearable, with good projection & longevity, especially for a "fresh" scent. SMW is a beautiful scent as well, but for some reason has poor longevity & projection on me.

Definitely VIW. Then OV, Then SMW, Then OS. And Erolfa does nothing for me, but if you want all the Creeds in your list, then Erolfa after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
    She hated NdN which upset me...
    Break up with her man.

j/k, OS is the only one I would consider for cooler weather, all the others are more suited to warmer times (just imo, I know many find the refreshing allure of SMW and HIM still appealing during the cooler months).
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the SMW and MI being that similar - suggest you retry.

All those you listed are pretty good except OS which isn't IMO. Check out Santal Imperial instead.
    Infact, as mrcologneguy suggests, check out the other grey cap Creeds too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you either like or don't like the Creed signature basenotes - an ambergris - like blend of notes. I think that the Creed base is fairly innocuous and so their scents appeal to many and hence the 'designer' type effect. I find many of their scents dry down to this. SMW to me exemplifies this base the most (don't have to wait for the drydown), while others like Mi get there after burning off the top notes (the metallic melon in the case of MI). If you are not a big fan of SMW - you might tire of quite a few Creeds after a little while.

Personally, I don't like the Creed signature base, which means I would go for the ones that are a little more unique in this regard. In this case, I'd go for OV - it's a nice clean, reasonably unique take on vetiver.

Everyone here loves Creed.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

At my local Nordstroms CREED counter, the VIW bottle is ALWAYS the most empty. Meaning it's the one people try and try again. I own it and love it. It's not a winter scent, but it's indeed amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

They're easy to like.

Silver Mountain Water is very different from those you have and I would recommend that one next.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Avignon_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Lumiere Noire_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio

Post Thanks / Like

Not being a fan of VIW myself, I recognise it is quite unique. As said, for cooler climes OS from your list.

Among your list, I'd jump on VIW. I adore it, and sometimes think that it's one of the best smelling colognes of all time.

And in warmer weather, it is magical.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

Creed is by far my favorite fragrance house because their fragrances smell natural, high quality, and classy to me. They're also very safe/versatile fragrances and pleasing to the nose. IMO, low chance of ever getting a complaint wearing a Creed.

i'm in the minority lol, i love erolfa the most..

Quote Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
    "Finally, something that actually smells nice and not weird".
    This would, indeed, explain why some people like Creed and why I don't. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a fragrance, it had darn well better be _weird_. I can get "nice" much, much cheaper than Creed prices. Creed might very well be a particularly well-crafted un-weird, but un-weird just isn't that valuable to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...Creeds make good "no brainer" scents, and those scents have their place just like the unique and vintage ones. Need a good scent and don't want to think much about it? Creed. Want to make a good impression and not worry about offending anyone, but still enjoy the scent yourself? Creed. Want to get someone who isn't much into unique scents a nice scent gift? Creed.

(all of the above is in reference to Millesimes and other modern Creeds....some of their older scents are very unique and creative).

Anyway I vote SMW. Definitely the most interesting of the Millesimes. Second choice OV.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the input. SMW smells different than MI but there's this fresh vibe that's similar. I can't put words to it but its like MI without the watermelon notes. It reminds me of MI so I think I'll get it later. But out of the few I shortlisted, I think SMW smells best.

I think I'll go with VIW, OV, SMW then OS. Simply because I donlt have many daytime sweet fragrances.

Anyone enjoy VIW at night?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are on target with your thought process.

As I smell more and more niche I am drawn to the more "stinky" or "interesting" smells that are not necessarily more wearable for me in public. Leather Oud, amazing but no way in hell I am wearing that to work etc etc....

Creeds smell very nice and are very easy to wear just about anywhere. My collection of creed is pretty small atm , GIT, OS, Aventus, Himalaya, MI and Royal Oud.

Creed and Bonds are probably the easiest Niche to wear for most people. Many other houses and amazing smells but many aren't nearly as friendly smelling as Creed.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Post Thanks / Like

I have Aventus, MI, SMV, VIW, GIT, Royal Oud, Original Cologne, Jardin d'Amalfi and Spice & Wood, out of all I would think MI is my fav.

And with regards to your latest question, I don't think there is a specific time for any of the Creeds. So yea, I do enjoy VIW at night.

Also, welcome and enjoy your stay at Basenotes