Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Your opinion of best frag to purchase? please vote 1 winter, 1 spr/summer

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Versace Dreamer

11 23.40%
  • YSL L'homme

15 31.91%
  • YSL La nuit de l'homme

13 27.66%
  • Rochas Man

9 19.15%
  • Michael Jordan Legend

1 2.13%
  • Animale Animale by Animale

1 2.13%
  • Gucci pour Homme II or other Gucci

13 27.66%
  • Paris Hilton Just Me

2 4.26%
  • Perry Ellis 360 Red

7 14.89%
  • Versace L'homme

1 2.13%
  • Versace Pour Homme

10 21.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Choices for University

Hey Basenotes,

I've been looking for a winter fragrance as well as a spring/summer fragrance to buy. These are scents that I will during class in the day, and of course will be around lots of people. I am willing to pay for a good scent, but I am not interested in paying lets say more than $70for 100ml. If I do a YSL scent I'll buy the 6.7 oz so I will spend a bit more. No Creeds and I prefer not to buy any Chanel products either.

For the winter, I am considering the following:

Versace Dreamer (plan to use year round)
    YSL L'homme (plan to use year round) - scared of lack of projection/longevity. Plan to apply only once.
    YSL La nuit de l'homme - Is this appropriate for DAY wear at school?
    Rochas Man
    Michael Jordan Legend
    Guerlain L'instant du Guerlain pour homme eau EXTREME
    Gucci Pour Homme II or another Gucci if better for university age accounting major

For the spring/summer, I am considering the following:

Paris Hilton Just Me (this and perry ellis would be used rather than ADG)
    Perris Ellis 360 Red
    Versace Pour Homme - love the price of the versace line
    Versace l'homme (worried about smelling like an dad or older guy, im just a 20 year old college kid!)

These are a few that I researched a little bit and am torn between. If you have any other suggestions they are welcome. I have been a lurker for a while and just started posting, so any opinions are valued.

Thanks!

Banned

Default Re: Choices for University

Welcome to BN. Out of the choices you have here, my favorite is YSL la nuit. It is perfect for fall, winter, and summer and srping nights, but it is a versatile scent. As for the warm specifi weather, PE 360 red is a good choice. It a slighty spicy version of acqua do gio, but i feel it lasts longer and projects a little better through the base. The price of 360 red can't be beat either. I picked up a 100ml bottle for $25 on fragrancenet. Dreamer is an amazing scent in the middle and base if you can get through the first 30 minutes or so, but it is not very versatile. YSL l'homme is sweeter than la nuit, and slightly floral. It's a very pleasing and safe; it won't offend anybody and is a good scent for daywear through all seasons, however, i like la nuit more. La nuit lasts longer and projects better. Stay away from MJ Legend. Animale Animale is a cheaper version of Angel Men without the tar note. Again, Animale Animale is not the most versatile frag on your list. I wouldnt suggest blind buying, so if you can, try to get samples or spray some on you SKIN at retailers or dept. stores.
    La nuit is the frag to beat on that list, and PE 360 red is an amazing scent for the price; could easily be your signature scent. But try to smell as many as you are able to before you buy. Hope this helped.

Gucci Pour Homme II - Can be worn anytime and anywhere.

Sound Scents

A tough poll with none really wowing me but I voted Rochas Man because while its definitely not my kind of scent, at least it smells good, IMO... I can't say the same for any of the others, unfortunately.

A good alternative that can easily be worn year-round is Terre d'Hermès.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Versace Pour homme is right choice

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    +1

Gucci Pour Homme II is a beautiful versatile fragrance.

I'd get Gucci Envy II for spring/summer and either a gourmand along the lines of Rochas Man, Versace The Dreamer or a powerhouse like Versace l'Homme for winter.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Of your list, Gucci Pour Homme II is the best.

YSL's L'Homme is one that I like in the summer, though the projection isn't much. It stays pretty close to me...which I don't mind with this one.

The Dreamer has been working well with me this winter so far. Soft (as in, not a power-frag), but nice. Good projection and longevity. Plus, my wife really likes it (take that for what you will).
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

...forget this 'row of mediocrity', here some alternatives:
    Summer
    Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder
    Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès
    Eau de Campagne by Sisley
    Winter
    Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain
    Knize Ten by Knize
    Dior Homme by Dior

Thanks for the input. I love la nuit and I can pick up a 6.7 oz of that for the price as a 3.4 oz bottle of Gucci. However, I have one concern with that. Is it appropriate to wear YSL la nuit to class? I will be sitting within a foot of people quite a bit and I don't want to choke anyone out. I'd go for YSL l'homme but I don't think I can get past the lack of projection, unless basenoters think that is actually good for a classroom.

I have the same concern with Rochas Man. Awesome scent but I don't know if it is appropriate to smell sugary sweet in class.

My selection for winter and day use is the Gucci; for outings, evenings, and anything not studies-related, I suggest Rochas Man. The Gucci is very versatile and non-offensive: just the ticket for a university aged accounting major. The Rochas Man adds depth to your c.v., and lends a certain elegance to your comportment, a real confidence builder!

Blog Entries

From the options, I picked Rochas Man by Rochas for winter, and L'Homme by YSL for spring/summer.

Rochas Man & GPH II from your list. The Gucci smells great & can be worn pretty much anytime, for anything & isn't likely to offend anyone. Rochas Man is also pretty versatile, as it's not a projection monster & it's stillage isn't overly strong or sugary sweet.

Gucci PH ii

Rochas Man for winter and 360 Red spring/summer. I wear both throughout the year, though. A friend of mine was wearing Versace Homme the other day and it was awesome on him, somewhat similar to 360 Red. There is something magical about Dreamer as well! You have some good choices!

Gphii

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mxer92 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I love la nuit and I can pick up a 6.7 oz of that for the price as a 3.4 oz bottle of Gucci. However, I have one concern with that. Is it appropriate to wear YSL la nuit to class? I will be sitting within a foot of people quite a bit and I don't want to choke anyone out. I'd go for YSL l'homme but I don't think I can get past the lack of projection, unless basenoters think that is actually good for a classroom.

I have the same concern with Rochas Man. Awesome scent but I don't know if it is appropriate to smell sugary sweet in class.
    I have never had any problems with over projection in close proximity cases. If you were worried about it, you could go just one spray to the neck and call it good

YSL La Nuit for Winter and YSL L'Homme or Versace PH for spring...

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I really had a hard time justifying paying nearly twice as much per ounce per gucci ph ii over the yves saint laurent frags. I tested the la nuit de l'homme along with many others, and every time--even when blindfolded--I picked la nuit. Because of that, I just bought it. With shipping, I ended up getting the 6.7 oz bottle of la nuit de l'homme for $75. Hopefully that is okay, and I will keep my eye out for other deals. Thanks for the help and advice. I just had a feeling about la nuit and liked smelling it more than the others, so hopefully that is a just reason to buy it.

I am new so I could be totally wrong and could have made a mistake. I hope to keep learning from you all and will contribute when i gain the knowledge!

Gucci PH II for the Summer
    La Nuit for the Winter

Gucci pH II is great year round and I like Versace pH for warmer weather. I like several on your list but those two are currently my favorites of the group.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

My votes go for Versace The Dreamer (awesome, completely unique scent that is wonderful in the winter, but also works very well year 'round), and for summer, Paris Hilton's Just Me. It's by the same perfumer that did 360 Red and they are extremely similar. I'll give the nod to Just Me though for summer because its a bit more aquatic due to the lack of the slight cinnamon note in 360 Red.

Also, Versace Pour Homme is nice as well and is another that's both fresh and sweet and will work in both seasons. But definitely don't pass up The Dreamer. And if you don't love it at first, keep giving it tries. It's one of those that really grows on u, and when it does, you can't get enough. It's the closest thing I have to a signature scent.