Code of Conduct

Default I don't care for the majority of fragrances I've tried

I can't find anything that I really like; and anything I do like is short lived. Is anyone else like this? Or am I perhaps going for the wrong fragrances?

Here are some of the more popular fragrances on basenotes I have tried, and dislike (to the point where I wouldn't wear them):

Musc Ravageur
    Terre d'Hermes
    Encre Noire
    Chergui
    Egoiste
    Vetiver (Guerlain)
    Azzaro
    L'Eau d'Issey
    White Musk (The Body Shop)
    24 Gold (Need to test this out a few more times, though)

If I were asked what I like (as in I might purchase again), I might say:

L'Instant De Guerlain Extreme - This one is difficult though. I don't like the opening, but I love what it develops into... kind of sweet, powdery, dark citrus type of scent. Problem is that I don't always experience this stage, and when I do it's short lived. It doesn't seem to last or project much... perhaps it's my nose, I don't know.

Burberry London - Pleasant scent with the right amount of sweetness and spiciness. Projection isn't great on me, but then again I don't seem to get much longevity/projection with anything.

I own about 8 designer fragrances. Sampled perhaps 50+ designer, -10 niche. 10+ oils (Al Rehab, Surrati etc). I know that's not much, but you'd think I'd at least have 5 or 10 fragrances that I really like out of them.

Any advice?

Sound Scents

Default Re: I don't care for the majority of fragrances I've tried

Since you enjoyed London, I recommend Costume National Homme as it will most likely be to your tastes... Padparadscha on the niche side of the spectrum may also click as it too is quite spicy and just a tad sweet.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

You like what you like... It's just your personal preference, you just have a very picky nose.... Similar to a picky eaters palate. It's really not a big deal. I have smelled 30+ fragrances and I only own about 3 bottles so I'm in the same boat as you. I have chanel bleu, Burberry sport, and I'm actively looking for a bottle of aventus.... Like within the next 12 hours

You don't have to get into fragrances. I've sampled hundreds of fragrances and there are still not very many that have blown me away. Honestly, I know I could get by with just 2 or 3 fragrances. The others are 'nice', but not absolutely needed. I've spent way too much money on fragrances, it's time to start allocating my resources towards things that are beneficial and crucial in the long haul. My advice to you is not to blind buy fragrances because you'll end up with a bunch of bottles that you either do not like or do not like well enough to wear them. If I could start over, I definitely would not have purchased 50+ bottles, I would have sampled more and chosen 10 or so fragrances that I love.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

I'd say just focus on the ones you've tried that affected you positively and stick with those.

Quit while you're ahead. Seriously. Unless money is not an issue, you're just going to be spending it, and your time, on something you don't seem to enjoy. In the long run, there simply isn't going to be a holy grail out there that will make all your investment worthwhile.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I hear ya, brotato. I'd say overall, I have disliked or been neutral on more frags than I've actually thought were worth owning/wearing. Some I would recommend that I think are pretty hard to dislike (just my opinion, and based on feedback I get from family) are:

Bleu de Chanel
    1 Million
    VanCleef & Arpels pour homme
    Aqua di Gio

Based on the ones you dislike, you might be a good candidate for some of the "powerhouse" frags, of which VC&A above is actually one. Others like Quorum, Bogart pour homme, etc. And they're all cheap, so worst case you won't waste much money. But I highly recommend getting samples first from myperfumesamples.com and the like.
    Last edited by bigsteve; 1st January 2013 at 02:28 PM.

I see a lot of frags there that I haven't cared for either (for one reason or another). Take a look at frags with more citrus, or just something a bit sweeter. Look at the frags I have below, too, as I dislike many of the same ones as you but landed these (and my Wish Lish in my wardrobe...so you can see what else I've liked and want).

Full disclosure: You see Azzaro below. It was a mini bottle (15 ML) that was crazy cheap...blind buy. Sprayed it twice. It was okay at best for me.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Just keep trying different stuff, aquatics, gourmands, Creeds...whatever sounds interesting. If you don't like any of it then your wallet will stay fat which isn't bad either.

If you're really determined to keep trying, may I suggest some of the exploration packs at a place like The Perfumed Court? They're curated according to genre, perfume house, note, etc, and tend to be quite affordable. That way you get to try many, many fragrances without having to commit to anything. Perhaps start with a note that you know you enjoy (citrus, vanilla, chocolate, etc.)

I've got 2 full bottles and about 30-40 samples. I can now make a pretty educated guess on what I'll like based on the notes, and my last few sample picks have been spot on, enough so that I have another three full bottles on the way. (Yeah, I need to stop while I'm ahead.)

Thank you all for your advice. I think I seriously need to try out different types of fragrances and figure out what groups I enjoy, and what notes appeal to me. I definitely wont be making any new purchases, sampling is the way to go.

The one thing I would note is that you seem to trying nothing but "basenotes approves" fragrances, which tend to be stronger, more complex/challenging, harder to wear etc... Try going with some more friendly/casual scents ala AdG, 1 Million, Bleu, la nuit etc... at the local department store.

Then again, you already have 8 or so, which is more than enough to cover your bases assuming they are different genres/types. No need to build a giant collection if you are not a huge fragrance guy/enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Some I would recommend that I think are pretty hard to dislike (just my opinion, and based on feedback I get from family) are:

Bleu de Chanel
    1 Million
    VanCleef & Arpels pour homme
    Aqua di Gio
    I've tried Bleu de Chanel and 1 Million, and I can't say I dislike either of the two... but like most fragrances I have tried I don't like them enough to want to purchase them.

I know it sounds as if I just don't like fragrances... but I'm sure I do! I just haven't found the right ones yet!

i think that's kinda normal. i can only see myself wearing 40-50% of the frags I've tried. but i only really enjoy like 10% of them.

If you're really determined to keep trying, may I suggest some of the exploration packs at a place like The Perfumed Court? They're curated according to genre, perfume house, note, etc, and tend to be quite affordable. That way you get to try many, many fragrances without having to commit to anything. Perhaps start with a note that you know you enjoy (citrus, vanilla, chocolate, etc.)

I've got 2 full bottles and about 30-40 samples. I can now make a pretty educated guess on what I'll like based on the notes, and my last few sample picks have been spot on, enough so that I have another three full bottles on the way. (Yeah, I need to stop while I'm ahead.)

If you live in London, you could try stopping by Ormonde Jayne. I heard that, at least in the past, they had people smell various materials first, then, based on preference, suggested various frags. Something to try for fun. In any case, many of her frags are very good (the feminine ones more than the masculine ones, for me).

Powdery citrus - I'm thinking also Guerlain Habit Rouge, as well as their $$ Derby.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    I've tried Bleu de Chanel and 1 Million, and I can't say I dislike either of the two... but like most fragrances I have tried I don't like them enough to want to purchase them.

I know it sounds as if I just don't like fragrances... but I'm sure I do! I just haven't found the right ones yet!
    I see. Well, I would encourage you to keep trying. You apparently have an interest in being fragrant, or you wouldn't be here. I'm sure eventually something will click, and you'll have a signature scent you love. Good luck.

Since you like the sweet drydown of L'Instant extreme, definitely try Dior Homme EDT.

Most of what I sample nowadays become reference fragrances; fragrances I have experienced, am able to discuss yet have no desire to own, and there's nothing wrong with that. Keep sampling, you'll increase your fragrance IQ and you may even add to the few you've found buy worthy.

It is okay that you only like a couple of fragrances of the ones you have tried.

It may be helpful to identify what you dislike in certain fragrances and focus your testing on things that you like. For example, if you don't like lemons, sweet or tart or anything, that is something to not waste time testing.

Quote Originally Posted by jadelotus View Post

I'm not too sure about which notes I enjoy to be honest with you I don't have the level of knowledge required to pick out individual notes most of the time... unless it's really obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Since you like the sweet drydown of L'Instant extreme, definitely try Dior Homme EDT.
    I tried Dior Homme (I believe it was the original) a while ago. I felt as if it was a bit too feminine. It's something I want to sample again though... as well as Dior Homme Intense. The samples I had were only 1ml, which I've learnt isn't enough when you want to try out a fragrance.

Dependent

I'll often smell upwards of 50 before finding one I like enough to wear / buy a bottle.

Sampling is the funnest part of this hobby to me. i find that i wear my sample more than my purchased bottles. Its like once i own a bottle of something i sampled and liked, i dont care for it as much lol. And just go back to sampling anyway. Its fun to collect and own bottles that you love, but sampling and exploring is what makes this hobby so fun. Just keep sampling even if the majority of scents you smell may not appeal to you. I GUARANTEE youll eventually find something you absolutely love.

I tried Dior Homme (I believe it was the original) a while ago. I felt as if it was a bit too feminine. It's something I want to sample again though... as well as Dior Homme Intense. The samples I had were only 1ml, which I've learnt isn't enough when you want to try out a fragrance.
    Many reviews state that the latest reformulation (black stem) has less iris and more cocoa. So, you might wanna try that version.

I can't find anything that I really like; and anything I do like is short lived. Is anyone else like this? Or am I perhaps going for the wrong fragrances?
    This sounds.... normal, to me. I also haven't found many highly reviewed fragrances to my taste, nor have I found it necessarily useful to go by "notes I like" (although, on the contrary, figuring out "notes I hate" has been useful, since I know now, for instance, that almost any heavily-amber fragrance is not going to be for me regardless of what else is in it).

I'd say revel in your uniqueness, and don't blind-buy anything. I disagree with The Bark; I think you will find your ideal scent(s); you might just need to branch out in your trials.

As with films, you might also want to look at other people's impressions of fragrances, and see if they match your own, in reviews. That especially applies if, on that list of scents you dislike, you noticed something about them that almost no one else seems to have mentioned, and you're thinking things like "how could people not have said that (X) smells like hot scented plastic? That's all I smell here!" This way, rather than going by things that are just high-rated in general, you might find a reviewer or two whose tastes are more in line with yours. Their highest-rated scents might be more worth sampling for you.

Well, if you've sampled 50 and you're not that impressed, that leaves several hundred more to sample in mainstream stores and several thousand more to check out in other stores. Perhaps consider it an amusing pastime during lunch breaks or shopping trips.

Anyhow, does it matter?
    I can't honestly say that I really really like most clothes I wear or that I see. I still wear them though.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 1st January 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Just keep sampling. You'll find 100% of what you like 60% of the time.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Keep casting a wider net. You may enjoy clean skin scents like Mugler Cologne, which is a superb frag that lasts all day on my skin and garners great feedback. LeMale is a dandy as well!

Analyze what you like so far, research similar scents or notes and learn about them, select what to try and sample, compare and take some time to decide, and finally buy if you find something. And stop or start again.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Which niche fragrances did you try? I don't claim that niche fragrances are inherently better, but they are _different_, and it may be that you don't like the most common current non-niche fashions in fragrance, and that therefore different is the way to go. So niche is where I'd suggest searching, but I'm curious as to what you've tried so far.

Keep spending

There's something out there with your name on it, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Many reviews state that the latest reformulation (black stem) has less iris and more cocoa. So, you might wanna try that version.
    I'll try out the reformulated versions of Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Which niche fragrances did you try? I don't claim that niche fragrances are inherently better, but they are _different_, and it may be that you don't like the most common current non-niche fashions in fragrance, and that therefore different is the way to go. So niche is where I'd suggest searching, but I'm curious as to what you've tried so far.
    Well, it depends on how you define niche.

Green Irish Tweed
    Chergui
    No 88 Czech & Speake
    Tobacco Vanille (if you consider this to be niche)
    Eau des Baux
    Musc Ravageur
    Encre Noire (if you consider this to be niche -- also tried about 3 or 4 other Laliques)
    24 Gold

I guess the bunch of Al Rehab/Surrati oils I have would be considered niche...

I don't think I like fragrances that are different in the sense that they are strange, uncommon. I think you have to be quite daring to wear some fragrances... for example I'm not the kind of person who can wear Encre Noire outside, but clearly many people here do. To my nose it's just too different, and it gives me a guaranteed headache.

there is really no need to buy full bottles especially now with so many sample resources around. its a hobby and you can always stop and move on to the next when you want. And don't belive in all the hype on the internet go to your local perfume spot where their isn't any pushy sales reps like kohls and sample away. don't judge a book by its cover and see what is insside, if some one else their is spraying on something its probably good so when they leave try it on yourself. Good luck.
    Last edited by Stayclose; 2nd January 2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

For every 20 colognes I sample, I dislike fifteen, like five, and end up buying a bottle of one. At most.

I haven't found the holy grail yet (but Chanel's Eau de Cologne comes close).
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I don't think I like fragrances that are different in the sense that they are strange, uncommon. I think you have to be quite daring to wear some fragrances... for example I'm not the kind of person who can wear Encre Noire outside, but clearly many people here do. To my nose it's just too different, and it gives me a guaranteed headache.
    These are two separate things, no? Why would anyone wear anything that caused them physical unpleasantness? That has nothing to do with daring.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    These are two separate things, no? Why would anyone wear anything that caused them physical unpleasantness? That has nothing to do with daring.
    Yes you're right they are two different things. What I meant to say is that I don't like fragrances that are too different, or daring.

Nothing wrong with that.

Green Irish Tweed
    Chergui
    No 88 Czech & Speake
    Tobacco Vanille (if you consider this to be niche)
    Eau des Baux
    Musc Ravageur
    Encre Noire (if you consider this to be niche -- also tried about 3 or 4 other Laliques)
    24 Gold
    And you didn't like these, right?

Looking at that list, my first reaction is that there are a lot of warm, sweet, honeyed, enveloping, possibly claustrophobic notes there. I'm seeing a heap of sleeping cats in a warm quiet dark room, and I'm almost deafened by the purring. (And, yes, GIT is probably an exception, though sometimes a green can have a smothering element as well.)

So let's go with a cheerfully barking terrier outside in the sun and grass, instead. No, I can't explain exactly what I mean by that, but I know it when I smell it. Some air, and not too much weird, and I'm avoiding flat-out citrus cologne things. Oh, and in case you say, "Hey, wait, this Chicken person's a girl!" I am avoiding anything that has a feminine vibe to me.

So my suggestions for sniffing are:

- Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale: It's bright and gingery, dancing sparks rather than a suppressing warm blanket.

- In fact, I'd suggest that everything in the Bois 1920 line (ignoring the pink bottle(s) that seem to shout "token feminine!") is worth a sniff.

- Art of Shaving Sandalwood. A rather sharp, medicinal sandalwood; some say that it's all eucalyptus. Whether you like this or not, your response to it could be informative.

- L'Artisan Parfumeur Navegar. Cedar. All I get from this is a very nice cedar; I suspect there's an issue with my nose, because there are supposed to be other things. But, again, it's awake, it has air in it, it's not drowning you in honey and smoke. Worth a try.

- L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe. Another medicinal fragrance. Sharp, awake, alert, it arms you for battle rather than putting you to sleep.

- While I'm on the subject, there's also Nasomatto Absinth. It's sweeter and less "ya wanna make something of it?", but still not sleepy.

- Comme des Garcons Kyoto. We're back to smoke here, but it's not a sweet enveloping sleepy smoke. It's meditating, not napping. Worth a try.

- Heely Cardinal. Same comment, very different smoke.

- Parfumerie Generale l'Eau Rare Matale. Tea, clean water, and burned wood. Cold and clean. That "burned wood" sounds weird, but it's really not too weird to try.

- Pafumerie Generale Harmatan Noir. It's been too long since I smelled it, but I remember it as another cold, clean, civilized fragrance.

You might not like any of these. But even if you don't, sniffing them might offer new information to guide the next round of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    And you didn't like these, right?
    Some I thought were ok, and some I disliked. I felt GIT was ok, but nothing amazing. Tobacco Vanille is quite interesting (and a bit strange) but I don't know when I'd wear it. I think it's quite a loud scent. Eau des Baux is pleasant, but I don't know... I don't think I'm a fan of the cypress. The rest I wouldn't want to wear at all.

Thank you for your suggestions I will be looking into them!

Check out Penhaligons or L'Occitane -- their ranges aren't scary at all and aren't super pricey. You will probabaly get a steer on what you really like through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Check out Penhaligons or L'Occitane -- their ranges aren't scary at all and aren't super pricey. You will probabaly get a steer on what you really like through them.
    Thank you for the recommendation! Any fragrances in particular? Haven't tried any Penhaligons, and only 1 L'Occitane (Eau Des Baux).

Banned
    Blog Entries

fragrance is a very personal journey, so its understandable that you dont care for the majority

Thank you for the recommendation! Any fragrances in particular? Haven't tried any Penhaligons, and only 1 L'Occitane (Eau Des Baux).
    http://www.penhaligons.com/shop/home...rency_code=USD

Chypres and Fougeres abound

Try something that's not too complex. Like L'Homme by YSL, Gucci Pour Homme 2 and Platinum Egoiste by Chanel.

What about trying something a bit lighter. Maybe Chanel Eau de Cologne or Neroli Portofino. If those are too heavy on the pocketbook, how about Concentre d'Orange Verte? Or even Love & Luck by (shudder) Ed Hardy?
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

If you want something less daring and more safe, definitely sample Creed Original Vetiver (don't worry, this scent is not about vetiver).

Look into the houses of Creed and Bond No.9.

Received a bunch of samples today, very excited! Always difficult sampling when you have a lot of samples... I can't stop myself from trying multiple at once; which never works.

Givenchy Play EDT Intense For Him
    Cartier Declaration D'Un Soir
    Dior Homme EDT < tried the original some time ago
    Dior Homme Intense < tried the original some time ago
    Dior Homme Sport
    Chanel Allure Sport < tried this some time ago
    D&G Pour Homme
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Eau De Cologne
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Essenza
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    Eon Productions James Bond 007

- - - Updated - - -

Wow the opening of L'Homme is quite interesting! It smells familiar -- I'm sure I've smelt this somewhere before!

Yup, finding 1 or 2 out of a hundred seems normal to me. I bought a dozen or so bottles after trying hundreds of frags and I ended up selling all but a few.

For me its about one to every 15 samples that I actually end up wearing and like. Now love is probably one in 30. So yeah it can get frustrating.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.