Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default What should I buy?

    I'm looking for something that can be worn all year, for casual wear, maybe formal aswell. I dont want it to be too strong but a nice woody smell. maybe aquatic. I'm 18 so don't want something mature.

    (Im thinking of Nuatica voyage but that's more for summer.)
    Last edited by callumth1; 1st January 2013 at 04:02 PM.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Creed's house are great for all year round in my opinion. Check them out.
    Expensive tho.

  3. #3
    Dependent southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Burberry London is a nice woodsy scent that is an all season fragrance as well as Beyond Paradise for men by Estee Lauder as an oceanic floral that is very nice. Neither are very expensive.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

  4. #4
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    5,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by callumth1 View Post
    I'm 18 so don't want something mature.
    So you want something immature? Just go to your nearest Sephora and ask for the latest "big thing" and I am sure you will be happy.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

  5. #5

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Carbone de Balmain

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    8,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Hard to think about an aquatic that's also woody or wintery. The cheapie Laroche Horizon has some aquatic note, but it's well balanced.

    cacio

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Bleu de Chanel works all year round. Same with platinum egoiste by Chanel amazing scents

  8. #8

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Gucci pour homme II...not necessarily that "woody" but fits much of your other criteria.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    edit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Hard to think about an aquatic that's also woody or wintery. The cheapie Laroche Horizon has some aquatic note, but it's well balanced.

    cacio
    Versace men eau Fraiche maybe?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    8,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    I personally find the Versace a little shrill, and not warm. But in general, I tend to dislike things that are too fresh.

    Now, if rather than aquatic you're ok with fresh green, there's Lalique Encre Noire, and even more so $$$$ Chanel Sycomore, which are vetiver plus woods and smoke, fresh and elegant. Regrettably, Sycomore costs a lot; Encre Noire, however, is more accessible.

    cacio

  11. #11
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Vicky Tiel Ulysse

  12. #12

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I personally find the Versace a little shrill, and not warm. But in general, I tend to dislike things that are too fresh.

    Now, if rather than aquatic you're ok with fresh green, there's Lalique Encre Noire, and even more so $$$$ Chanel Sycomore, which are vetiver plus woods and smoke, fresh and elegant. Regrettably, Sycomore costs a lot; Encre Noire, however, is more accessible.

    cacio
    What exactly is an "aquatic" fragrence? What are some good aqautics as I think i may want to try some as I prefer a fresher scent than a sweet one.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    8,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Aquatic or marine usually refer to perfumes that contain some aromachemicals that are supposed to replicate the smell of the sea (fresh, watermelon, seaweed, or the like). I usually dislike them because to me they smell too synthetic or even rotten (like rotten seafood). But they are extremely popular in current mainstream perfumery, since apparently most people perceive them just as fresh and clean; moreover, they tend to be very powerful and very long lasting, which is uncommon in fresh smelling perfumes. Many of the perfumes that have references to fresh, water, sport, and the like tend to have marine/aquatic notes.

    I'm probably the wrong person to talk about them because I don't like them. I'd say the most common are Eau d'Issey, Aqua di Gio, and the sharpest of them all, Light blue. Earlier examples tend to be more well behaved: New West, Cool Water, and the only one I can stand, Laroche Horizon.

    As I mention, for freshness I prefer instead perfumes based on vetiver. Vetiver is a material that smells fresh and vegetal, slightly green and grassy.

    cacio

  14. #14

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Aquatic or marine usually refer to perfumes that contain some aromachemicals that are supposed to replicate the smell of the sea (fresh, watermelon, seaweed, or the like). I usually dislike them because to me they smell too synthetic or even rotten (like rotten seafood). But they are extremely popular in current mainstream perfumery, since apparently most people perceive them just as fresh and clean; moreover, they tend to be very powerful and very long lasting, which is uncommon in fresh smelling perfumes. Many of the perfumes that have references to fresh, water, sport, and the like tend to have marine/aquatic notes.

    I'm probably the wrong person to talk about them because I don't like them. I'd say the most common are Eau d'Issey, Aqua di Gio, and the sharpest of them all, Light blue. Earlier examples tend to be more well behaved: New West, Cool Water, and the only one I can stand, Laroche Horizon.

    As I mention, for freshness I prefer instead perfumes based on vetiver. Vetiver is a material that smells fresh and vegetal, slightly green and grassy.

    cacio
    Thanks, and aquatics are generally summer fragrences I take it?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    8,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Yes, aquatics are considered fresh and clean, so more summery, though people wear them year round.

    cacio

  16. #16

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Yes, aquatics are considered fresh and clean, so more summery, though people wear them year round.

    cacio
    I'm looking at Laroche Horizon on amazon (UK), for a 50ml bottle some are £9.99 and some are more than £40 ?

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...y+%2Caps%2C217

    Are the cheap ones fakes?

  17. #17
    Basenotes Junkie walkdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IDAHO
    Posts
    522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Look into Comme Des Garcons... perhaps Wonderwood or maybe even Dover Street Market.

    Also, Nooka makes a unique scent for younger people.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    8,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What should I buy?

    Horizon is considered a cheapie, so it is not surprising to find it at low prices, though 10 pounds is quite a bargain. Doesn't seem like it's something people will fake, but who knows.

    In any case, even if it's 10 pounds, blind buying is always risky and you should read the reviews here to see if that's something close to what you're looking for.

    I second walkdogg's suggestion of Comme des Garcons, if your budget is higher (around 80-100 pounds or so).

    cacio

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •