Code of Conduct

Default What should I buy?

I'm looking for something that can be worn all year, for casual wear, maybe formal aswell. I dont want it to be too strong but a nice woody smell. maybe aquatic. I'm 18 so don't want something mature.

(Im thinking of Nuatica voyage but that's more for summer.)
    Last edited by callumth1; 1st January 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Default Re: What should I buy?

Creed's house are great for all year round in my opinion. Check them out.
    Expensive tho.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Burberry London is a nice woodsy scent that is an all season fragrance as well as Beyond Paradise for men by Estee Lauder as an oceanic floral that is very nice. Neither are very expensive.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by callumth1 View Post
    I'm 18 so don't want something mature.
    So you want something immature? Just go to your nearest Sephora and ask for the latest "big thing" and I am sure you will be happy.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Carbone de Balmain

Hard to think about an aquatic that's also woody or wintery. The cheapie Laroche Horizon has some aquatic note, but it's well balanced.

cacio

Bleu de Chanel works all year round. Same with platinum egoiste by Chanel amazing scents

Gucci pour homme II...not necessarily that "woody" but fits much of your other criteria.

edit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Hard to think about an aquatic that's also woody or wintery. The cheapie Laroche Horizon has some aquatic note, but it's well balanced.

cacio
    Versace men eau Fraiche maybe?

I personally find the Versace a little shrill, and not warm. But in general, I tend to dislike things that are too fresh.

Now, if rather than aquatic you're ok with fresh green, there's Lalique Encre Noire, and even more so $$$$ Chanel Sycomore, which are vetiver plus woods and smoke, fresh and elegant. Regrettably, Sycomore costs a lot; Encre Noire, however, is more accessible.

cacio

Overcome By Fumes

Vicky Tiel Ulysse

I personally find the Versace a little shrill, and not warm. But in general, I tend to dislike things that are too fresh.

Now, if rather than aquatic you're ok with fresh green, there's Lalique Encre Noire, and even more so $$$$ Chanel Sycomore, which are vetiver plus woods and smoke, fresh and elegant. Regrettably, Sycomore costs a lot; Encre Noire, however, is more accessible.

cacio
    What exactly is an "aquatic" fragrence? What are some good aqautics as I think i may want to try some as I prefer a fresher scent than a sweet one.

Aquatic or marine usually refer to perfumes that contain some aromachemicals that are supposed to replicate the smell of the sea (fresh, watermelon, seaweed, or the like). I usually dislike them because to me they smell too synthetic or even rotten (like rotten seafood). But they are extremely popular in current mainstream perfumery, since apparently most people perceive them just as fresh and clean; moreover, they tend to be very powerful and very long lasting, which is uncommon in fresh smelling perfumes. Many of the perfumes that have references to fresh, water, sport, and the like tend to have marine/aquatic notes.

I'm probably the wrong person to talk about them because I don't like them. I'd say the most common are Eau d'Issey, Aqua di Gio, and the sharpest of them all, Light blue. Earlier examples tend to be more well behaved: New West, Cool Water, and the only one I can stand, Laroche Horizon.

As I mention, for freshness I prefer instead perfumes based on vetiver. Vetiver is a material that smells fresh and vegetal, slightly green and grassy.

cacio

Aquatic or marine usually refer to perfumes that contain some aromachemicals that are supposed to replicate the smell of the sea (fresh, watermelon, seaweed, or the like). I usually dislike them because to me they smell too synthetic or even rotten (like rotten seafood). But they are extremely popular in current mainstream perfumery, since apparently most people perceive them just as fresh and clean; moreover, they tend to be very powerful and very long lasting, which is uncommon in fresh smelling perfumes. Many of the perfumes that have references to fresh, water, sport, and the like tend to have marine/aquatic notes.

I'm probably the wrong person to talk about them because I don't like them. I'd say the most common are Eau d'Issey, Aqua di Gio, and the sharpest of them all, Light blue. Earlier examples tend to be more well behaved: New West, Cool Water, and the only one I can stand, Laroche Horizon.

As I mention, for freshness I prefer instead perfumes based on vetiver. Vetiver is a material that smells fresh and vegetal, slightly green and grassy.

cacio
    Thanks, and aquatics are generally summer fragrences I take it?

Yes, aquatics are considered fresh and clean, so more summery, though people wear them year round.

cacio

Yes, aquatics are considered fresh and clean, so more summery, though people wear them year round.

cacio
    I'm looking at Laroche Horizon on amazon (UK), for a 50ml bottle some are £9.99 and some are more than £40 ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...y+%2Caps%2C217

Are the cheap ones fakes?

Look into Comme Des Garcons... perhaps Wonderwood or maybe even Dover Street Market.

Also, Nooka makes a unique scent for younger people.

Horizon is considered a cheapie, so it is not surprising to find it at low prices, though 10 pounds is quite a bargain. Doesn't seem like it's something people will fake, but who knows.

In any case, even if it's 10 pounds, blind buying is always risky and you should read the reviews here to see if that's something close to what you're looking for.

I second walkdogg's suggestion of Comme des Garcons, if your budget is higher (around 80-100 pounds or so).

cacio