Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Default Recommendation for a 17-yo female?

Hello all, I'm going to be turning 18 at the end of this year, and I'm looking for a fragrance I could wear to school daily. The weather in my country (Singapore) is pretty much humid and warm all year round.

I'm a football player, and I'd describe myself as laid-back? Normally in shorts and a tee with a cardigan when I'm out, very casual, not the very girly sort. I don't really like florals, but I like fruity scents - I really love Body Shop's home fragrance oils. What would be a good fragrance to wear on a daily basis that doesn't come on too strong? I like fruity scents but I'm open to others (I really liked Tiffany for Men and Guerlain Vetiver when I smelt them) but I'd like to stay away from sickly sweet scents. (There are people in my school who smell like melted Skittles and it's quite unpleasant) but it'll be nice to have a fresh-smelling fruity scent or something more woody.

Thanks!

Default Re: Recommendation for a 17-yo female?

As you point out, the problem of hot weathers like Singapore is that light frags will evaporate very fast, and the heat will make thicker and sweeter frags become too cloying.

Since you mention, vetiver is a fresh green material that works well in the heat - though it is typically green and dry, without sweetness. In addition to the Guerlain, in mainstream there's also Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Lalique Encre Noire.

For something with a touch of sweetness, I'd suggest you try Kenzo Flower. It has a light melony note and is quite fresh, and despite the name, not very floral.

cacio

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes, sprucemaple!

l recommend Armani Aqua di Gioia, Creed Virgin lsland Water, & Eau d'Ikar by Sisley.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

You might want try is L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci or Dune by Christian Dior. Good Luck

Jack
    Last edited by silverbullet; 1st January 2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: SP?

Cartier Declaration Cologne

Second Dior Dune: very unique fragrance, and also very versatile. It has sort of a dry, beachy vibe, and I think it would work well in warm weather. I also wonder if you might like one of the Jardin series fragrances from Hermès, which are not girly/rather unisex, not too sweet, and are light enough that they would also work well in warm weather. Un Jardin en Méditerranée has nice cedar and fig notes, and Un Jarden sur le Nil has mango, lotus, and incense, among other things.

Overcome By Fumes

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I thought Dune was a little too heady and a bit masculine actually..and Light Blue smells quite generic. Any others? I liked the vetiver scents I mentioned above, but I don't think I could wear them on a daily basis. Would love something with vetiver in it but something sweet in it too. Thanks!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Have you tried Ô de Lancôme?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121202.html

If you are willing to go into more expensive niche perfumery, there are some combinations of sweet plus vetiver. I don't like them, I prefer the dryness and greenness of pure vetiver, but then perhaps they may click with you. A prime example would be Hermes Vetiver tonka (which is what the name suggest, vetiver plus sweet tonka beans); on the sweetish side (but not as much as the Hermes) are also Diptyque Vetyverio and Etat libre d'Orange Fat Electrician.

cacio

Vetiver tonka, light, sweet and vetiver...

For very warm weather I would wear:
    Hermes Jardin's or Voyage.
    Blue Mediterraneo line from Acqua di Parma.
    Millesime Imperial.

But I would say you should to keep trying fragrances in the mall or something like that, whatever we recommend doesn't have to be of your liking.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I was thinking of ordering a vetiver sampler pack from The Perfumed Court, because I can't find that many vetiver scents easily, but the shipping alone is $45... Any other places where I could get samples for a lower shipping cost? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again, I've decided to purchase some samples, and Chanel Bois des Îles, Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, Diptyque Vetyverio and Hermes Vetiver Tonka (the price!) are those that I've selected. Pretty excited (:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Does Surrender to Chance charges you as much?

Those picks are pretty nice, let us now what you think about them, especially Bois des Iles
    We want a 'Niche' forum.