Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Today I Bought: January 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Buying vintage VdN always terrifies me R. I have bought vintage VdN in the past that has turned and really couldn't be worn at all...that particular note in the top notes (jonquil?) just smells absolutely horrible when it ages improperly. I hope yours smells wonderful. I happen to be thoroughly enjoying my 'new' VdN parfum that I got last year, so I'm set myself.
    I was definitely taking a risk with this one Mike, especially with it being so old. What I've concluded from my vintage purchases is that if an old Guerlain is stored in its box, it will keep in reasonable condition for decades. I thought it likely that this one had been because the shape of the bottle (and even the metal clasp on the string) was imprinted on the satin in the box lid.

I've opened it now and tested it, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the juice! It smells a little off for the first 15 minutes or so, as some of my vintage Shalimar does, but then it sorts itself out and smells amazing for hours.

Compared to the modern, this one is lacking a feminine shimmery element in the opening (aldehydes I think?) and has an anisic note through the heart and base. The drydown is denser and more alive. It's a bit kaleidescopic, as different facets come into focus over time and when sniffed from different distances. That was my initial impression from testing on my wrist at least, so they may change when I give it a proper wearing.

I've heard that VdN doesn't age well, and it may not in absolute terms. It may be very different than when it was new. However, I'm very happy with this one, and it's a treat to be able to sniff even a somewhat compromised classic built out of the highest quality materials with no restrictions. If you see a clean, sealed vintage bottle still in it's box, I say go for it!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A little disappointment today. A few days back I sampled a fragrance By Kilian that was supposed to be „Love”. I wanted to test it more intensively and got me a decant. Which arrived today and smelled completely different than what I expected. Obviously I had a sample of „Love and Tears”.
    Also the decant blind buy of 34 Boulevard Saint Germain is not my taste.
    Will pass them on…

@rubegon
    That bottle is incredibly sexy! Good for you!

Default Re: Today I bought ~ January 2013

A decant of Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande for me

I fell off the full bottle wagon.

At the beginning of the month I bought a bottle of the wonderful but discontinued Slumberhouse Baque. The perfumer had mixed up a special batch of it based on several requests, and I just happened to ask about it at the right time. Since I only need 1-2 sprays for any wearing, a 50ml bottle should last me a very long time.

Last night I finally answered the "will I or won't I" question about my 4th Sonoma Scent Studio fragrance -- a 17ml bottle of the lovely Voile de Violette and a sample of the first fragrance in Laurie's "Naturals" line, Cocoa & Sandalwood, are on the way.

Joining the SSS fragrances are a 50ml bottle of Robert Piguet Visa and a 50ml bottle of Serge Lutens Gris Clair. (hugs self. giggles.)

I'm still eyeing a bottle of Mazzolari Lei, but I haven't pulled the trigger ... yet.

I almost forgot -- I also bought the entire suite of Slumberhouse samples and have been enjoying those, particularly Pear + Olive and Jeke.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 17th January 2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post

Last night I finally answered the "will I or won't I" question about my 4th Sonoma Scent Studio fragrance -- a 17ml bottle of the lovely Voile de Violette and a sample of the first fragrance in Laurie's "Naturals" line, Cocoa & Sandalwood, are on the way.
    ExtremeK, please report on Cocoa & Sandalwood. I'm very curious about the scent. I would've bought a sample if shipping to Poland wasn't few times higher than the sample cost.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

My eBay lot came in today along with a bunch of samples/decants. It is like christmas!:

Chanel Cristalle EDP
    Chanel Cristalle EDT
    Vintage Ivorie de Balmain EDT
    Ungaro Desnuda EDP
    15ml Tom Ford by Tom Ford EDT
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I was definitely taking a risk with this one Mike, especially with it being so old. What I've concluded from my vintage purchases is that if an old Guerlain is stored in its box, it will keep in reasonable condition for decades. I thought it likely that this one had been because the shape of the bottle (and even the metal clasp on the string) was imprinted on the satin in the box lid.

I've opened it now and tested it, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the juice! It smells a little off for the first 15 minutes or so, as some of my vintage Shalimar does, but then it sorts itself out and smells amazing for hours.

Compared to the modern, this one is lacking a feminine shimmery element in the opening (aldehydes I think?) and has an anisic note through the heart and base. The drydown is denser and more alive. It's a bit kaleidescopic, as different facets come into focus over time and when sniffed from different distances. That was my initial impression from testing on my wrist at least, so they may change when I give it a proper wearing.

I've heard that VdN doesn't age well, and it may not in absolute terms. It may be very different than when it was new. However, I'm very happy with this one, and it's a treat to be able to sniff even a somewhat compromised classic built out of the highest quality materials with no restrictions. If you see a clean, sealed vintage bottle still in it's box, I say go for it!
    Great news R!

I owned a small purse sized spray (those rectangular ones in those gold, metal boxes with the grill on the side) that was half filled - I remember paying way too much for it on eBay but it was absolutely in perfect condition and I can agree with you that the basenotes were heavier, thicker, more complex.

I have mentioned before, years ago, that this scent and I had a very 'bittersweet' olfactory memory. I wore the vintage extrait one very magical night, and all of a sudden every time I wore it thereafter, little pieces of that night would flood into my mind. Night flight, indeed. The memories have faded a bit, now I just smell VdN for what it is: a wonderful oriental with tons of Guerlinade and the ability to transport me (like Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue and Jicky extrait...) to a soft, cushioned, luxurious state-of-mind.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I bought Acousticjus Flamenco and Ava Luxe Vanille Jolie (her new one).

Today I had to go to the customs. I was hoping so much the parcel would just sneak through. But it was worth the time and the money I spent on it.
    A lot of four vintage Chanels. A 200 lm bottle Coco EdP, with 50 ml left (it was the least interesting item for me); a 50 ml bottle N°19 EdP, nearly full; a 30 ml bottle Bois des Îles extrait, 20 ml left and a 200 ml bottle with no label containing 30 ml. I wished it was Cuir de Russie – and it is!
    I've just tried once the current version and liked it. Now trying this (the bottom of the bottle say Eau de Parfum) I can understand what d4ni3l mentioned here. The beginning is really pungent. But it's done in two minutes.
    Bois des Îles I've also tried the new EdT and was not impressed at all. But this version here is so amazing – I am very happy.

Got seven Ambra Di Luna samples from the RM sample program, yay!

- - - Updated - - -

Got seven Ambra Di Luna samples from the RM sample program, yay!
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

I blew my giftcard money on a 40ml bottle of Angel edt and a giftset of Versace Versus -the newer one in the purple ombre bottle.Angel was $39.99 and the VV was $15 (giftcard was $30...oh well I could have got the Lily Sanguine,the eau de prep,or other things...)
    Fragrance Omnivore

Love - By Kilian (Travel set)
    Tom Ford - Sahara Noir (50ml) (bought this online)
    Serge Lutens - Une Voix Noire (bell bottle)
    Serge Lutens - Sarasins (bell bottle)

A 1Ltr GOLDEN BEE BOTTLE - of Eau de Cologne with still around 900ml in it. At an incredible price. Im so happy!!

Caron Tabac Blond 100ml EDP from the Caron NY boutique. Apparently it was the last 100ml piece, and I got it for $170 +$10 for shipping. No tax. Since there's a gigantic price hike in the offing, I'm glad I snagged this at the old price.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Vintage Jacomo de Jacomo
    Vintage Etienne Aigner no.2
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Got backup bottles of L'Artisan Cœur de Vétiver Sacré and Vanille Absolument since L'Artisan was having a sale and the latter was being discontinued, according to Perfume Shrine.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I just ordered a bottle of Mona di Orio's Ambre (been lusting after this one awhile) for about $135 w/ shipping--happy very early birthday to me (at least that's how I'm justifying the purchase). Penny Lane Perfumes is having a 25% off store-wide online sale, and their MdOs are still pre-price-hike (I almost bought Ramon Monegal's Cuirelle too, at those prices...)

Quote Originally Posted by quixoticcynic View Post
    I just ordered a bottle of Mona di Orio's Ambre (been lusting after this one awhile) for about $135 w/ shipping--happy very early birthday to me (at least that's how I'm justifying the purchase). Penny Lane Perfumes is having a 25% off store-wide online sale, and their MdOs are still pre-price-hike (I almost bought Ramon Monegal's Cuirelle too, at those prices...)

Thanks for the heads up. But bugger, Mona's Vanille and Vetiver are sold out. They are sold out everywhere which offer coupons, except at bloody lucky scent who charge full price + a hefty 9% CA sales tax. Would've LOVED to score a bottle or three of Vanille at $130. Oh well.

I did, however, order the Puredistance sample set from Luckyscent. The set contains 4 x 2ml sprays of all of the four Puredistance scents, and it's a line I've always wanted to test. $60 + tax, and I threw in a couple of samples to bring the total to $75 so that I can then be eligible for 3 complimentary samples. I'm looking forward to testing Loretta and Mito and Naomi Goodsir's two new scents.
    Last edited by whimsicaldiva; 20th January 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Bought a cheapie for my mother, per her request: Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

50 ml Jour d'Hermès

Splash Bottles Suck

A miniature Shiseido Feminite du Bois.

Today I found (and promptly purchased) new-old-stock Chanel Coco and No5, both 80s edp refills ...yay! Can't have too many of those.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

got a small bottle of Omar Sharif perfume on ebay -- a blind buy, just because I like him and wonder what he'd put his name to...

bleu autumn haze

I finally bought a bottle of Un Bois Vanille! It's been on my wish list forever and I've been through about 3 decants so I know I love it. As I mentioned, I had a gift card and I've been really indecisive on just how to spend it. Hubby was out of town last weekend and I'm always weak when it comes to online retail therapy when he's gone. I hit the BUY button about 2:00 am, but I have no regrets!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Where did you find this vintage? I am considering buying an extrait of VdN though I've not smelled it EVER. I've read many reviews and think I would like it. I believe it's about 30-40 years old. It would be a blind, expensive buy, but worth it, I hope.

Splash Bottles Suck

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    Where did you find this vintage? I am considering buying an extrait of VdN though I've not smelled it EVER. I've read many reviews and think I would like it. I believe it's about 30-40 years old. It would be a blind, expensive buy, but worth it, I hope.
    Here's some:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Guerlain-vol-...item1e76839352

Seville a'Laube 100ml. I got it from Penny Lane Perfumes using their 25% coupon and free shipping and no tax. Paid $123 for it. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Today I found (and promptly purchased) new-old-stock Chanel Coco and No5, both 80s edp refills ...yay! Can't have too many of those.
    Yay, indeed ! Enjoy them, E.

^ Thanks, g - I plan to!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I finally bought a bottle of Un Bois Vanille! It's been on my wish list forever and I've been through about 3 decants so I know I love it. As I mentioned, I had a gift card and I've been really indecisive on just how to spend it. Hubby was out of town last weekend and I'm always weak when it comes to online retail therapy when he's gone. I hit the BUY button about 2:00 am, but I have no regrets!
    Congrats S! I bet it smells yummy on you (on me, it's a big ol' mess...couldn't pull it off).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Got my partial bottle of Tam Dao from ebay today, and it's perfect. I know ebay is a risk, but I've been fortunate so far. It's so lovely to spray a bunch on instead of dab little bits from a 1 ml sample.

A large back-up bottle of L de Lolita Lempicka. I don't know how I got into this back-up game. It's dangerous...
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

a serge lutens and eld'o sample set from escentual

Two bottles of Huitieme Art

Ambre Céruléen cheap on ebay

Myrrhiad
    DONNA

I ordered blind All About Eve (Joop!) and Mistero di Roma Donna (Biagiotti) from www.nordicfeel.no, a Scandinavian site where you sometimes can find discontinued scents, aswell as new ones.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Won on ebay FMalle Tes Dans Bras 10mls size.
    DONNA

I got La Reine Margot from Les Senteurs, on sale!

After years of wanting one, a new unopened .5 oz. of vintage Rive Gauche parfum.

The new natural Cocoa Sandalwood from Sonoma Scent Studio.
    Last edited by MorganFay; 25th January 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Hubby was traveling today, so I kept myself happily entertained with fragrant purchases:

1) Bond No 9 Scent of Peace 50 ml
    2) Bond No 9 ILNY Marriage Equality 50 ml
    3) Jo Malone Verbenas of Provence 30 ml

I am SO looking forward to my mail deliveries next week!

Finally pulled the trigger on a 100ml No.5 EDP. Im very excited to receive it!

I'm awaiting my partial bottle of creed love in white. 3 months ago, I owned no perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Lucky girl! I got a couple of mini frags from ebay that I am enjoying very much. Don't like to mention what I got as I was trolling one time and saw someone post about getting Moondrops on ebay and was green with envy! Loved that stuff and you can't get it any more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    I'm awaiting my partial bottle of creed love in white. 3 months ago, I owned no perfume.
    Do tell what you think of it when you get it. I'm contemplating this one, but it's expensive and another Creed I tried, while lovely, didn't last long. I expect longevity from a fragrance (thank you to every perfume from Estee Lauder) and won't pay for the high end ones unless it lasts.
    Last edited by heavenscent1; 27th January 2013 at 12:54 PM.

I've been craving incense lately so after two days of sampling at Scent Bar (lucky me!) I bought Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Avignon. I've sniffed it out of the bottle a few times but finally put it on, then fell for it!

Huitieme Art Naiviris from ebay at a really good price.
    DONNA

I've been having a rough couple of weeks, and needed some retail therapy. I added to my Chanel collection with No. 18 and No. 22 in the 200 ml bottles, also added 31 rue Cambon in the 200ml to back up my half used 75ml.

Next up will be the new Chanel, 1932 I imagine. I really love the look of those bottles lined up. And of course, really love that Chanel line.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post

Next up will be the new Chanel, 1932 I imagine...
    Have you sniffed it yet, Cello ? I'm waiting impatiently.
    Sorry you've had a crummy fortnight. At least you smell awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Have you sniffed it yet, Cello ? I'm waiting impatiently.
    Sorry you've had a crummy fortnight. At least you smell awesome !
    No, Dr. G, I have not smelled it yet, but from all I have read, I will like it enough to add it.

Good to hear that, cello. You are practically made for all four of them (in addition to what you have already got). Very very glad.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    I've been craving incense lately so after two days of sampling at Scent Bar (lucky me!) I bought Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Avignon. I've sniffed it out of the bottle a few times but finally put it on, then fell for it!
    Good choice. Sort of ground zero, for incense scents, in my opinion. Tip: it also layers wonderfully with oud scents.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower 50ml from ebay. Got it for a good (ish) price. OK, so I only paid $40 less than the retail price, so it's not a very great bargain, but hey, $40 is $40,right? I could've never brought myself to pay retail + sales tax on this.