Code of Conduct

Default Looking for night time fragrance for man- mostly going out to clubs. Know nothing about fragrance

I'm new to fragrances and only own two. I wear the original Dolce & Gabbana to work and Gucci by Gucci at night. I want something that will get attention and I have no idea what to get. Any help would be great. Let me know if I need to provide anymore info.

Default Re: Looking for night time fragrance for man- mostly going out to clubs. Know nothing about fragranc

Hi has78 and welcome to Basenotes!
    I don't know your location or your age, where you enjoy going, etc. but if you want to "get attention" then you need to go with the mainstream and best sellers. Sephora would easily be able to give you that information. Currently, younger people seem to enjoy:
    YSL L'Homme
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    Armani Code
    Givenchy Play and Play Intense
    Paco Rabanne One Million
    etc.

Default Re: Looking for night time fragrance for man- mostly going out to clubs. Know nothing about fragranc

Thanks Renaissance,

I'm 33 from Washington DC. I enjoy some wine bars and sometimes clubs out in DC. The crowd is usually 20's to early 30's.

There are some many fragrances to choose from. I'll read the reviews on the ones you mentioned. Thanks

Try La Nuit de L'Homme and Givenchy Play Intense. Use those as examples but also depending on what you like (tobacco, floral/woody, as in your current ones) and where you go at night, you might want to explore more sophisticated/grown up scents rather than the fresh, clean, or fruity super popular ones. Try a better department store and talk to a sales associate. Sample as many as you can since it's going to be hard to judge like this.
    For night time, generally speaking, you might want to try scents that are slightly more intense and possibly feature notes like amber and musk. Sampling is the way to go.
    Have fun!

Burberry Brit? Millesime Imperiale?

La Nuit de L'Homme

Body Kouros
    Escentirc 01
    Rochas Man
    Musc Ravageur

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

A*Men is a big clubbing scent so perhaps one of its flankers (Pure Malt?) would stand out.

Joop
    1 Million
    Le Male
    Angel Men

All of them claim for attention

Thanks Everyone. Question on the La Nuit de L'Homme. I see two bottles. One is the cologne and where the other is a perfume. I'm assuming I should get the perfum since it stays on longer right.

Right.

I also live in the DC area. I would say La Nuit is a good choice. I would try both out, but I have the original EDT and it lasts all night and gotten tons of compliments. Works well for clubbing and lounges.

If you want to get your scent across at clubs, I would def try gourmands or something sweet. I use Rochas Man, 1 Million, Hypnose by Lancome, Euphoria Intense by CK.

But since summer is coming and I like to keep my scents a bit lighter I go with Aventus, GIT, Tokyo Kenzo, The One by D&G.

Again, it's all about preferences and how well it works on your skin. I would really suggest you head to a Sephora store to test some out and you want to test out Creed, nordstrom in pentagon city has a huge selection and you can test them out.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

1 million, JPG la male, La nuit....lots more!
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Count me in the La Nuit camp. I'm quite a fan myself, and it gets the best reaction of anything I own. Like, strange woman in the seat next to you rubbing your leg reaction.

In the niche camp, I think Frapin 1270 would be a stellar choice for a wine bar. It has a phase where it literally smells like a vineyard: the dirt, the vines, the leaves, the grapes, hell even a bit of oak. Also sweet and boozy, I don't see why it wouldn't work in a club as well.

For the club, you'll want something that will "cut" through the crowd...you don't want your smell to blend in with all the others..
    I agree with La Nuit, but I don't know how well it projects. Pure Malt is a decent one...if I went out still, I'd try M7...it's very noticeable and much different than most people will smell. I also love New Haarlem, but some of these depend on weather,etc.

Fahrenheit, and quite a bit of it.

I think Le Male is overdone.
    1 million might be too young for you (yes I know I know, don't flame me). It's not for wine bars, it's for raves and 18 year-old's.

Try something like Burberry London, La Nuit D'Homme, A*men Pure Havanna, etc.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Can't go too far wrong with Body Kouros or even Rochas Man!

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    finally

seriously though, the guy is 33 yrs old.
    Start with Chanel, Guerlain, Creed. Bypass most of the other designers.

my recommendations for you.

Chanel Bleu de Chanel - pleasing, office, sport, daily, all weather, whatever. try this one first.

CK Euphoria / Guess by Marciano / KC RSVP - ladies love wood. no seriously, they love cedar and sandalwood, and anything with spice/wood combo usually does well. or take it to the ultimate and just get Creed Original Santal

John Varvatos / Pure Havane - tobacco notes work well at your age. will work even better when dressed up.

Acqua di Parma / Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey - fresh / citrus vibes. perfect for summer. crowd pleasers.

nothing beats sampling, so get over to the counter and just ask for lots of little sample bottles.
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Im same age as you and I would consider YSL - La Nuit de L'homme. For alle the reasons above

A bold move could be Dior - Homme intense (used scarsely). It have a mature, sensual, sweetness that could work PERFECT in a winebar setting... )

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    I like how this guy thinks!

Montale - Black aoud

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I like how this guy thinks!
    Yes I find Fahrenheit cuts through all the sickly sweet gourmand rubbish at clubs quite nicely.

Amen Angelmen and Givenchy Play Intense are real winners

It's been mentioned several times in this thread, but I want to reiterate it once again: La Nuit De L'Homme EDT. Don't get the EDP, the EDT is much better in my opinion. It's perfect.

Other great ones to consider:
    Creed Milesime Imperial
    Creed Aventus
    Armani Code (Safe blind buy, it is nothing outstanding.. but it is pleasant.) Great for a casual scent.
    Rochas Man (If you like La Nuit, you might like this as well; but I like La Nuit MUCH more.)

I'd avoid One Million/Le Male/Joop, they kind of exceed your target age group (30-35 years old).. these work better for the college crowd (18-25 yrs old.) But if you think you can pull it off and you like them, try them out!
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

La nuit de l'homme without any doubt! If you want to stand as the special and noticed guy in a crowded place.. just get yourself a bottle of La nuit de l'homme YSL.

YSL La Nuit de L'Homme EDP

Creed Aventus or LeMale. Period. Others will not project at all in club. Especially DHI.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndySais View Post
    Montale - Black aoud
    ^^
    This will cut through layers of steel. The best smell I ever did.

Overcome By Fumes

The original poster has not posted in a year and a half and is probably not going to follow any advice given now. Just sayin.

VanCleef & Arpels pour homme. Very clean smelling, masculine, strong, and cheap!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    The original poster has not posted in a year and a half and is probably not going to follow any advice given now. Just sayin.
    Thanks for the heads up. Who the hell resurrected this?