Code of Conduct

Default Ever buy something only because your GF likes it on you?

Hi. I haven't really been into men's fragrances since the glory years of Polo Green. Those were good years. It was a revolutionary fragrance for me and a really good chapter in my life. It was the first and last fragrance to [I]really[I] appeal to me. I have recently renewed my interest in men's fragrances and have been trying lots and purchasing some.

Anyway, my GF goes crazy when I wear La Nuit de L'homme from a tester. I cannot smell it if my life depended on it. I can blast 5 full sprays on me and still smell nothing. I wore it last night at a NYE party, and had 3 separate women who I did not know comment (very positively) on it.

I know this may sound ridiculous but have any of you ever bought a fragrance that you did not care for (or could not smell) only because others loved it? Or do you make all your choices based 100% on your own preferences? I think it's insane for me to buy La Nuit if I can't smell it but maybe not. Maybe I'm being selfish. And why can't I smell it? I can smell everything else I have but La Nuit. Bizarre.

Comments?

Thanks.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Ever buy something only because your GF likes it on you?

I never have...but I have worn fragrances gifted to me from female friends.

Some chemicals are almost impossible to smell by some people yet very distinct to others.

An example would be Iso-E-Super which is prominent in several popular fragrances. I can barely smell it at all. It's possible this phenomenon is present here. No problem wearing something that your lover loves.

I never have either.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I only wear what I like because I prefer to be myself. There are certain notes I can't perceive.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

There have been a few perfumes I have not been very fond of but bought/worn them because my wife adored it on me.

I see no harm.

for swap/sale:

Luckily, her favorite is also my favorite.

I have the same problem with D&G The One. I can't seem to smell it but my GF seems to love it so I may buy me a bottle. La Nuit is a great frag, I like that one too.

Only if I'd like it too.

I've never bought a fragrance just because my girlfriend liked it but I did refuse, back in the 80s, to buy the original Polo just because I hated it even though my GF at the time loved it. I have a problem smelling the opening notes of Gucci pH II. For the first 15 minutes or so I always wonder if I have put enough on. After the mid notes start coming out I'm fine for the rest of the day or night as far as being able to smell it on myself.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Sound Scents

Never. As an aside, you picked a superb one with respect to vintage Polo and I can understand you being satisfied with it all these years. If you can get your hands on another vintage bottle (especially if the alternative is the awful smelling La Nuit de L'Homme), I would definitely stick with Polo.
    Last edited by drseid; 2nd January 2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Currently single, yet, I never buy any scent with the specific intention of pleasing anyone close, including s.o., yet, luckily, most of the scents do get positive female feedback after being purchased and worn.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Never. But if she really enjoy smelling it on me, she's more than welcomed to buy it as a gift to me. Which is what I'd do if I happen to love a particular fragrance on a woman.

Don't have one so no.

CologneFan85

I will buy a fragrance if my fiance likes it on me. I like to know my woman enjoys my colognes...Cant just think of myself when it comes to her.

Outside of her I COULD CARE LESS what others think. Ill buy what I find to be a good scent.

No, I've been fortunate to have found several fragrances we both enjoy quite a bit together. I don't think I'd ever buy or wear something that I couldn't stand the smell of, regardless. If I couldn't smell it much, or was just somewhat neutral on it, but she loved it, then I'm sure I wouldn't mind wearing it for her on occasion...although I'd really try to find something we'd both like equally as much or more.

Basenotes Plus

Never have bought a fragrance because my GF liked it, but I will wear fragrances that I would normally wouldn't purchase that she has bought for me.

If she can put up with me, the least I can do is wear a fragrance that she bought for me.

Afraid so. I still have the bottle, but she's gone. Lesson learned.

I would definitely buy something that she liked as long as I liked it or didn't mind it. If you can't even smell La Nuit (which is a great scent IMO) and she loves it, I'd say find a deal online and get it. My GF smelled Black XS this past weekend when I sampled some and she loved it, I did not buy it though because I couldn't get over the artificial strawberry smell that kept bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    Hi. I haven't really been into men's fragrances since the glory years of Polo Green. Those were good years. It was a revolutionary fragrance for me and a really good chapter in my life. It was the first and last fragrance to [I]really[I] appeal to me. I have recently renewed my interest in men's fragrances and have been trying lots and purchasing some.

Anyway, my GF goes crazy when I wear La Nuit de L'homme from a tester. I cannot smell it if my life depended on it. I can blast 5 full sprays on me and still smell nothing. I wore it last night at a NYE party, and had 3 separate women who I did not know comment (very positively) on it.

I know this may sound ridiculous but have any of you ever bought a fragrance that you did not care for (or could not smell) only because others loved it? Or do you make all your choices based 100% on your own preferences? I think it's insane for me to buy La Nuit if I can't smell it but maybe not. Maybe I'm being selfish. And why can't I smell it? I can smell everything else I have but La Nuit. Bizarre.

Comments?

Thanks.
    im in the exact same situation, and am just as bewildered. I do think of buying it though.

My girlfriend likes me in really sweet scents; the way she nuzzles in close and almost purrs when she smells Black XS or Joop! Homme Wild on my chest is worth the price of the bottles several times over. I must confess, I don't especially dislike them either!

I wear aventus cuz chicks love it

Yes! But she has great taste

Absolutely. If it doesn't repulse me, and the female persuasion loves it on me, I'm all for it. I truly don't understand the whole "I don't care what anybody else thinks of the scent on me" attitude. Makes zero sense to me.

So I was at the mall this evening. Rather bizarrely, for the first time, I could smell La Nuit. I wonder if the tester that I had used previously was bad. Or maybe I had a bit of a cold or something. Anyway, I tried La Nuit again. And just like magic, for the very first time I could smell it. I was so happy. And I could instantly see why women love it. I found it very feminine and soft smelling. Creamy. It's not exactly my style but I nonetheless liked it. At least it's much different from everything else I have bought so far. Definitely not something for the office though. Date night only.

I was really impressed with Burberry London. Very unique smelling, for me at least. Definitely something I would wear to work. It smelled very sophisticated to me.

Speaking of which, very few people at my office wear any scent. A lot are into the whole scentless workplace thing. Checking all of this out right now is pretty much a brand new experience for me. I have smelled very few before now. I'm a total frag virgin so to speak.

I also tried Fahrenheit. Wow. Shocking. Gasoline and leather. What a wild concept. I tried but I just couldn't fall in love with it in the brief time I was there. I decided after I left though that I may have to return to buy it just because it was so unique. I may pick it up tomorrow and see if it grows on me.

Incidentally, the lady helping me almost pulled a Meg Ryan smelling the test strip she had sprayed. She was REALLY into Fahrenheit in a BIG way. I mean, she clearly got lost in the moment.

I'm having fun with this new found interest. And I love this site. It's very helpful and interesting. And thank the good Lord my sense of smell is back.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 3rd January 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Yup, bought Abercrombie because the gf lives it so much

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post

I'm having fun with this new found interest. And I love this site. It's very helpful and interesting. And thank the good Lord my sense of smell is back.
    Welcome. It sounds like you're off to a good start. Just remember to test and sample as much as possible, as your new-found interest can be extremely expensive, especially when you discover niche fragrances. And things you dismiss now you may find you like several months or a year from now.

Good luck and enjoy!

If you neither like it nor want it and she does want it for you, I wouldn't see anything wrong with saying "well why don't you buy it for me then baby".

That way if you at some point disregard her you can disregard the fragrance as well. The only problem will be if you begin to like the fragrance and want it and don't want her anymore, you still have that negative memory of her attached to it.

Catch 22 I know.

I said all that to say....buy and wear what YOU enjoy!