Code of Conduct

Default Amouage attar volume.........is 12ml really 12ml?? Or is it less??

This is a question I've had ever since the first bottle of Amouage Attars I purchased: do the 12ml bottles really contain 12ml of the oil or does it carry less? Has anyone been brave enough to check? (i've been too chicken to check......)The reason I ask is because when compared to a cheap 12ml tola bottle the Amouage bottle seems smaller in comparisson. The same goes for the 30ml bottles too.

Default Re: Amouage attar volume.........is 12ml really 12ml?? Or is it less??

They couldn't misrepresent this information.

Countries' Ministries of Economy or Product or Commerce can check claims (same applies to nutritional data on food).

for swap/sale:

The shapes of bottles and thickness of glass can make a difference. I too am unwilling to think Amouage would be anything but accurate with such things

H22 is correct. There is no way a company like Amouage would try and mispresent actual amounts or mislead their customers. This would be all too unnecessary given the solid revenues and backing from a royal or two in that part of the World.

Sound Scents

12 ml is 12 ml... I don't think Amouage uses a "new math".
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I meant no offence to anyone by my question and I sincerely apologise if I have. My intentions are sincere. Amouage is my absolute favourite especially my little babies.....the Attars. It was just a curiosity I've had since I first purchased a bottle and was something that i've been asked a number of times but been unable to answer.

They ARE less than 12ml. Had a sealed bottle of Sandal Attar for split, so had to measure it.
    9.5 ml actually

So my suspicions were correct...........I retract my apologies!! Thanks Gustav69!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by sultanpasha View Post
    So my suspicions were correct...........I retract my apologies!! Thanks Gustav69!
    ... Or that was an isolated incident that could have been caused by any number of reasons. I would not say that proves your "suspicions were correct" in general terms. Again, 12ml is 12 ml. If you think there is some great conspiracy perpetrated on the public by Amouage to short-change people of juice then by all means pursue it directly with them... My guess is you will be more than a bit embarrassed in the end...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

As far as I know, the traditional way of measuring fragrances in the Gulf region was by weight. The tola, commonly presumed to be 11.5-12 mls, is actually measured as 11.6 grams. I have bought perfume oils from dealers here in Saudi Arabia who sell by weight, not by volume.

Since a ml of an average oil weighs about 0.95 grams, about 12 mls of oil weighs about a tola. I would assume that if the oil varies in weight, the actual amount required to make up a tola would also vary.

I'm not saying that's how Amouage measures their fragrances. They've most likely standardized on 12 mls of volume for an internationally available product. But the amount of 12 mls being a tola is an approximation and may account for some confusion.

Salaamualaikum akhe! Shukhrahn for putting things in to perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    As far as I know, the traditional way of measuring fragrances in the Gulf region was by weight. The tola, commonly presumed to be 11.5-12 mls, is actually measured as 11.6 grams. I have bought perfume oils from dealers here in Saudi Arabia who sell by weight, not by volume.

Since a ml of an average oil weighs about 0.95 grams, about 12 mls of oil weighs about a tola. I would assume that if the oil varies in weight, the actual amount required to make up a tola would also vary.

I'm not saying that's how Amouage measures their fragrances. They've most likely standardized on 12 mls of volume for an internationally available product. But the amount of 12 mls being a tola is an approximation and may account for some confusion.
    I'm going to chime in here and agree with noggs on this.

At this point, I'm not prepared to take any sides on this issue but have always been apprehensive about Amouage's attars in general. And since one Basenoter has already confirmed that a full bottle contains 9.5ml instead of 12ml, there's obviously some cause for concern. That coupled with the batch variations, leaky bottles (yes, there have been many reports of sealed bottles not having been closed and packaged securely to prevent possible leakage - think about the amount of oxidation caused before they're even unsealed) and their sudden withdrawal from Europe, suggests that there could be some truth in this.

I don't think we can firmly conclude anything until someone else has the balls to measure the exact volume of a standard empty Amouage attar bottle. As for the naysayers, you can live in denial as much as you like but, in the perfume industry, nothing surprises me any more with these houses - highly revered or not.

There's a new Amouage boutique now open in Bahrain. I'll try to pop over there one weekend and see if I can find out any more information about their measurements and also about their marketing. I seriously doubt that the sales staff will have a clue about anything, but it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post

I was thinking about the tola measure as well, and the variation in weights of different materials. The standard is 1ml of water weighs 1g. I had assumed though (based on the fact that oil floats on water) that oils would be lighter than water and so one would expect more rather than less oil than water per tola, so the estimation of 0.95g per ml of oil sounds about right.

I have wondered however about this after buying Oud oil in supposedly 0.5ml amounts from one of the highest profile Oud oil sellers. The oils were in 1ml vials and by my estimation only contained at most 0.4ml. The seller assured me his oils were sold by weight and so the amount was correct. I assumed he was being dishonest, and for that (and other bad behaviour), I ceased doing business with him. It makes me wonder though - perhaps there are some particularly heavy substances in some attars??

- - - Updated - - -

When I finish my 12ml bottle of Tribute Attar, I'll fill the empty bottle with water and see how much it holds - check back in about 5 years ;-)

I just split a 30ml bottle of Homage and it split 10 times into even 3 ml splits. It seemed right on the money in terms of volume. I used a syringe and 3mL vials.

Last edited by sultanpasha; 25th April 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Hi

Were you selling some of the Attars on eBay recently?

Isn't Amouage british owned?

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Isn't Amouage british owned?
    lol it's from Oman

Clive Christian is British
    C&S
    Miller Harris (Feuilles de Tabac is amazing btw)
    Penhaligons
    and a few more including background of Creed generation.

Well I was not born yesterday. It is located in Oman but it's owned by the brits.

All Attars are measured using the tola system, a measuring system which originates from India and used to measure gold but later extended to fragrance oils. 1 tola = 11.663 grams If you go to any gold souk, you will hear this term A LOT.

arabs using tola's in perfumes all the time and expensive oils sandalwood, oud, amber sold by the weight. the question is why are they selling attars listed at 12ml where it's actually 10.5? if there is enough ripped off customers here we can get a lawyer )

You can get a layer for anything you want but you may have to give 0.75ml out of the 1.5ml you will be awarded in each case. Someone should contact Amouage and see what they have to say.

Last edited by sultanpasha; 25th April 2013 at 01:28 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Well I was not born yesterday. It is located in Oman but it's owned by the brits.
    Please show proof of this.

get your fact right before fire away

Orman Perfumery LLC is the parent company of Amouage, which is owned by SABCO group that launched in 1977, by Sayyid Hamad bin Hamood Albusaidi and his two sons; Sayyid Sami and Sayyid Badr
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Agree with Palmbeach - if ever in doubt, suggest the brand profile under 'Fragrance Brands' may be helpful.
    Or Google has loads of info. and even info. on the new factory complex in Oman.
    Last edited by lpp; 25th April 2013 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I just split a 30ml bottle of Homage and it split 10 times into even 3 ml splits. It seemed right on the money in terms of volume. I used a syringe and 3mL vials.
    It has been my experience - and consistently - and I've split a LOT of Amouge attars - that the 30mL bottles usually come out right or darn close but the 12mL bottles have never been right, usually coming in around 10mL +/- 1/2mL.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265