Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Too Young?

  1. #1

    Default Too Young?

    Hey guys,

    About a week ago I posted a thread asking for some suggestions for some good winter and some good summer scents.

    I've decided that for summer I would choose Nautica Voyage and PE 360 Red.

    The problem I've encountered is choosing my winter scents. As I live in Canada these will be important and I am looking for 3 god casual every day winter scents.

    I was Looking at Burberry London, Boss #6 and Rochas Man as my 3 casual winter colognes, however, I have been wondering if [B]Burberry London[B] is just too mature smelling for me. This worry follows the other two frags as well.

    I know that many times people say 'whatever you think fits you' but the problem is that I have to blind buy all of mine! I really need some good honest opinions about what you would think if you smelt a 15 year old kid wearing Burberry London, Rochas Man, and Boss#6 and wether or not these are simply good buys in general!

    Many Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Too Young?

    You'd just really have to smell London to know. I don't find it a "mature" scent, but then again, I'm far from a teenager anymore. I would think Rochas Man & Boss #6 would be quite safe, however. That being said, have you checked out Givenchy Play Intense? I find that to be a slightly more "youthful" version similar to Rochas Man. Also, you could check out Burberry Brit if you think London may be too mature for you. Best of luck!

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,342

    Default Re: Too Young?

    If I smelled Burberry London on a 15 year old, I would think that he has very good taste and is very secure.

  4. #4
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,258

    Default Re: Too Young?

    I guess some of us may be puzzled as to what you want. I wear fragrance for my own enjoyment, so it really matters to me that the fragrance I wear smells good TO ME. I would rather have one good fragrance than three I'm not crazy about. Some people could argue that wearing fragrance is for men, and that any fragrance out there is "too old" for you unless it has a cartoon character on the box. It almost sounds like there is some rule that a h.s. student needs to have a rotation of a few fragrances which allow him to seem cool amongst his peers, but those fragrances need to be "cool" enough or the effect may backfire.

    I get peer pressure. You can wear Fierce or Axe and smell like many other HS boys, or you can smell original and risk other people not recognizing the scent and considering it different in some way: too old, too weird, too strong, too feminine, too whatever. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to buy without smelling beforehand, you are taking a risk that a. you may not like it, and b. other people may not like it either. There is no fragrance that everyone who meets you is going to love. You ask us what we recommend, and we tell you what we like or what we think you might like, but we can't really know. Our stereotypes about what a kid your age or style or situation might like are just slightly more sophisticated than just telling you to wear what everyone else wears.

    If you are too worried about other people are going to think about what you are wearing, then maybe you are "too young". Why not start with one fragrance first, see how you like it, and go from there, rather than getting a small collection, unsmelled, based on some consensus of people here? That way you can see how you like it, how your friends like it, and then decide what to do next. It does take some maturity to decide for yourself what you like, but there is no shortcut to trying things for yourself to know.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Too Young?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If I smelled Burberry London on a 15 year old, I would think that he has very good taste and is very secure.
    This.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

  6. #6

    Default Re: Too Young?

    Hey guys,

    Thanks for the replies so far. To me it seems you guys are saying that Burberry London is a good frag to distinguish yourself from the regular A&F Fierce crowd.

    In response to docluv45 I can see what you are saying and I would like to buy 1 bottle first and start to get a feel for what I like but because I live in Canada I am just trying to save the 15$ for shipping each time I make an order, that's all.

    I was also looking at Boss Bottled. It seems like a pretty safe buy. I am also gunna try to get out and test some of the scents that I am looking into because I really don't want to waste my money on a scent that dosen't work with my body.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philly Tri-County Area
    Posts
    353

    Default Re: Too Young?

    I certainly wouldn't think of Burberry London as being an "old" scent. Not at all. I think it's a classy scent for any age.

    There are some scents that really do strike me as "too old" (for me) but I can't think of any male frags off the top of my head that would fit this category (I'm not that familiar with male frags.)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Too Young?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolty View Post
    I am also gunna try to get out and test some of the scents that I am looking into because I really don't want to waste my money on a scent that dosen't work with my body.
    Yes; I was going to strongly suggest that you not blind buy. If you're having trouble finding samples, you could post to ask for advice and sources; there might be a source that you're not aware of.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Too Young?

    Skip out on Rochas, it's a nice scent but doesn't compare with the other 2 (unless you really like it).
    London isn't mature, it's different.
    Boss Bottled is a safe blind buy, but you may end up liking London more.

  10. #10
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,303

    Default Re: Too Young?

    Like I have said to others, I find it interesting someone would be afraid of smelling "mature" and would prefer smelling immature... Why bother?

    As to what I would think of a 15 year old wearing London or any other fine scent?... Ditto what hednic said!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

  11. #11
    Basenotes Junkie Nosebud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    588

    Default Re: Too Young?

    If I had to fall into the age trap, I would say Boss Bottled would be safe.
    I think Rochas Man is kinda cloying.
    Burberry London is the most interesting and my fav of the bunch.

    I have London on my 2nd full bottle, a sample of Rochas Man, and a sample of Boss no6 that is on the long list for 50ml.

  12. #12
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Too Young?

    I'm 21 and I have a 100mL bottle of Burberry London and no one has ever questioned me. It's a great scent, and in reality scent has no age.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Too Young?

    I don't think that any of these three scents smells too old, they can be pulled off easily at this age.

  14. #14
    CologneFan85
    Guest

    Default Re: Too Young?

    Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I guess some of us may be puzzled as to what you want. I wear fragrance for my own enjoyment, so it really matters to me that the fragrance I wear smells good TO ME. I would rather have one good fragrance than three I'm not crazy about. Some people could argue that wearing fragrance is for men, and that any fragrance out there is "too old" for you unless it has a cartoon character on the box. It almost sounds like there is some rule that a h.s. student needs to have a rotation of a few fragrances which allow him to seem cool amongst his peers, but those fragrances need to be "cool" enough or the effect may backfire.

    I get peer pressure. You can wear Fierce or Axe and smell like many other HS boys, or you can smell original and risk other people not recognizing the scent and considering it different in some way: too old, too weird, too strong, too feminine, too whatever. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to buy without smelling beforehand, you are taking a risk that a. you may not like it, and b. other people may not like it either. There is no fragrance that everyone who meets you is going to love. You ask us what we recommend, and we tell you what we like or what we think you might like, but we can't really know. Our stereotypes about what a kid your age or style or situation might like are just slightly more sophisticated than just telling you to wear what everyone else wears.

    If you are too worried about other people are going to think about what you are wearing, then maybe you are "too young". Why not start with one fragrance first, see how you like it, and go from there, rather than getting a small collection, unsmelled, based on some consensus of people here? That way you can see how you like it, how your friends like it, and then decide what to do next. It does take some maturity to decide for yourself what you like, but there is no shortcut to trying things for yourself to know.
    agreed..

  15. #15

    Default Re: Too Young?

    I think of the three Boss Bottled is the safest of them.

    If you want to smell Rochas Man just go to where ever sales Axe body spray and get a spray of Dark Temptation, smells almost identical to Rochas Man.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Too Young?

    I'm 18 and wear all three of those. My friends (guys and girls) enjoy them. Just be judicial when spraying because you will be in a warm confined classroom all day which may make Boss #6 cloying. (At least that's what happened with me)

  17. #17

    Default Re: Too Young?

    I think they are for a bit older crowd.

Similar Threads

  1. Am I too Young
    By jasperhiga in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12th August 2010, 05:18 PM
  2. Young Man/Old Man Scent
    By zztopp in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 2nd July 2006, 07:05 AM
  3. Look over here. Young guy needs help.
    By whoamI in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 21st March 2006, 09:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •