Code of Conduct

Default Refrigerating Fragrance & Creed MI

Hello Basenotes,

I have a couple of questions for you guys.

I just got MI from fragrancenet and was happy to see that it was a 2012 batch; it seems to have the same sharp watermelon notes that is seemingly characteristic of 2011s formulation. I have a couple of concerns though. I had my fragrance shipped to the east coast where I was staying for a few weeks. The weather was chilly and the fragrance itself stayed at a constant cold temeprature (about 60F and kept in a dark area). I just flew into Hawaii last night, and it is much warmer and much more humid. I sprayed it today, and the watermelon seemed muted. I was concerned that the plane ride and the change in climate somehow changed the fragrance. I had read (or thought I read) on a couple of forums that refrigerating fragrance was a good idea, especially in warmer climates. I left the cologne in the fridge for about 8 hours. Paranoia sank in and I re-researched the refrigeration concept. After reading a couple of forums saying refrigeration was a bad idea, I took it out of the fridge. I have not sprayed it since.

My concern is this. Will exposing my cologne this drastic temp changes destroy it? I do not plan on refrigerating it again, I am just concerned that I potentially ruined it by putting it in the fridge for that brief period today.

Also, the fragrance itself is going from the east coast climate, to Hawaii for a few days, and then staying in Arizona permanently when I return. How is the best way to store it during my travels? Right now, it is in its box inside of a dark suitcase.
    Last edited by nstall; 2nd January 2013 at 08:10 AM.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Refrigerating Fragrance & Creed MI

Creed is notorious for its 'Batch Variation' as you mentioned.

Have you splayed MI when you are in the east coast ?

MI has muted watermelon in some batchs. If you have not worn it once before you arrive at Hawaii, we can not be sure that it is is originally be like that due to the 'Batch Variation' or it was detroyed by 'Drastic Temp Changes'.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think your juice has suffered significantly from these temperature changes. Keeping fragrance refrigerated is more of a long-term conservation precaution.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

So here is the breakdown for the fridge:
    Volatile (like fragrance oils) compounds do not like humidity, but do like being at a constant low temp (2-8%C.) I work in pharmacy, and there is a reason the more expensive liquid IVs are kept refrigerated...

Your fridge can be a bad place since it does its own defrost cycle, which melts everything, making the humidity go up. But there are two drawers on the bottom, which either have adjustable humidity, or they each have a static humidity (1 high and 1 low.)
    The crisper is high humudity and meant for lettuce, broccoli, carrots, etc.
    The low humidity drawer, which has an open vent (if adjustable see which has vent open all the way) which is meant for foods that produce a high amount of ethylene gas and therefore spoil quicker (mushrooms, peppers, avocados, pears.)

Keep your frags in the low humidity drawer with an open box of baking soda (to absord smells as well as excess moisture) for the longest term, best way to preserve fragrances. Of course, if you have a climate controlled dry cellar...

Quote Originally Posted by nstall View Post
    My concern is this. Will exposing my cologne this drastic temp changes destroy it?
    No. You'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep them in the door of the refrigerator. Ive had no problems in 2 years. Im looking into getting a winer cooler soon though.

As long as you keep them away from light and extreme heat, they should be OK. To help keep them from light, I started keeping my frags in their boxes.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as you keep them away from light and extreme heat, they should be OK. To help keep them from light, I started keeping my frags in their boxes.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

While bottled frags with atomizing pumps are virtually airtight there is always an exchange of outside air with inside air given enough time. However simply spritzing the bottle draws far more 'outside' air into the bottle to replace the expelled liquid than a looooong time of molecular creeping out of/into a 'sealed' environment.

I would takefar more precautions avoiding long term warm/hot storage and/or exposure of the bottle to light. Short term non-extreme temp change, if not a regular event, I would think not to be a major player.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not smell it and find out?

If you live in a hot tropical country like I do then refrigerate fragrance is a very bad idea since refrigerated fragrances will go bad after less than a month staying in room temperature here. I've bought a refrigerated bottle before and it has gone bad very quickly

Have you splayed MI when you are in the east coast ?

yes- awesome watermelon. then in hawaii it was extremely salty

I would takefar more precautions avoiding long term warm/hot storage and/or exposure of the bottle to light. Short term non-extreme temp change, if not a regular event, I would think not to be a major player.

thank you for the response. I was curious if bringing my bottle to two fairly distinct (although neither of which are too terribly extreme) climates plus the refrigeration (for whatever reason I decided to do that) could have for some reason been the reason as to why my watermelon wasn't as pronounced yesterday.

Why not smell it and find out?

on it now