Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    I know some people are of the opinion that fragrances are not gender specific, but I'm after something that is masculine. Which Chanels do you think are suitable for men? Prefer if we keep it to the mainstream Chanels, not the exclusives or hard to find ones.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No female Chanel perfume is masculine - except Sycomore!
    That said:

    No 19, EdT, and Cristalle comes to mind.

    Among the Exclusifs you'll find lots of
    unisex frags, though.
    And a 100ml 19 cost pretty much the
    same as a 75ml Exclusifs. Go Exclusifs!

    Sycomore
    Cuir de Russie
    Coromandel
    Bois des Iles

  3. #3
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Seconding 19 EdT. The Eau de Cologne from the exclusive line could also easily be marketed to either sex.

  4. #4
    Dependent starshipvelcro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio somewhere
    Posts
    2,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    They have a mainstream mens line...I'd say those are what you're looking for.

    The Allure line and Egoiste.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    They have a mainstream mens line...I'd say those are what you're looking for.

    The Allure line and Egoiste.
    I've tried some of the mens line such as Allure, Allure Sport, Allure Edition Blanche, Bleu De Chanel, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste.

    Allure was ok, but not very interesting.

    Allure Sport develops into something AMAZING when it mixes with the heat. Woody, musky, peppery kind of scent. If only it was like that from start to finish; because I'm not particularly crazy about the citrus opening.

    Allure Edition Blanche is a very pleasant lemon, I like it but don't think it's very versatile. I'm not sure I want to go around smelling like a lemon.

    Bleu De Chanel was ok, but not very interesting.

    Platinum Egoiste was uninteresting.

    Egoiste smelt too feminine.

    I thought perhaps I'd try out a couple from the womens line just for the sake of it, maybe learn something.

  6. #6
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    For me, the answer is none.
    I don't even much like the women's Chanels on my wife.
    Regards,
    Renato

  7. #7
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I don't even much like the women's Chanels on my wife.
    *blasphemy*


  8. #8
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,309
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Seconding No.19 & Cristalle.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  9. #9
    Ken_Russell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sibiu
    Posts
    17,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Further seconding in favor of No.19 and Cristalle.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    •Chanel No. 5
    •Balenciaga 28
    •Bal A Versailles
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 3rd January 2013 at 11:44 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Do you have any Chanel Men's fragrances?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    I know some people are of the opinion that fragrances are not gender specific, but I'm after something that is masculine. Which Chanels do you think are suitable for men? Prefer if we keep it to the mainstream Chanels, not the exclusives or hard to find ones.

    Thanks.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Do you have any Chanel Men's fragrances?
    I have tried a few, see post #5. Thanks.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    If you're looking for masculine, why not just try Antaeus?

  14. #14
    6of1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Another vote for 19. I like 5 myself, but sparingly. Sycomore is awesome.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Specifically marketed to women by Chanel on their website - None IMO.

  16. #16
    Dependent southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Definitely Chanel no.19 and Cristalle and you could sample Chanel no.5 eau Premiere which is a much lighter version of Chanel no.5.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

  17. #17
    dukecity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    If you find Egoiste too feminine, Antaeus is only Chanel that might meet your needs

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    No. 19 vintage Eau de Cologne. Trust.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  19. #19

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    All are suitable for casual wear, especially if you're feeling experimental.

    For business wear, you might want to skip No. 5, since it's so well-known as a classic women's fragrance. Then again, if you're in a creative industry, why not?

    No. 19 and Cristalle get hall passes for being reasonably safe for conservative business settings.

    And honestly, you should skip ahead several spaces and go for Coromandel and Sycomore. Lovely stuff, perfectly unisex, and easily worth the premium price. Buy now, before some corporate bonehead decides it's time to reformulate them. They're perfect, peak in-season. Get them before some wretched reformulation comes along.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by dukecity View Post
    If you find Egoiste too feminine, Antaeus is only Chanel that might meet your needs
    Are there any modern Chanels that might also meet my needs? It doesn't need to be SUPER masculine (I hate stuff like Azzaro pour homme!), just not feminine. I'm in my early 20's.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    Are there any modern Chanels that might also meet my needs? It doesn't need to be SUPER masculine (I hate stuff like Azzaro pour homme!), just not feminine. I'm in my early 20's.
    Why Chanel? You don't like their men's fragrances, you think Egoiste is too feminine (which I don't fathom), and yet you want a masculine fragrance from the women's collection and not an Exclusif. It makes me wonder why you want to stick to Chanel at all. There are dozens of other houses with men's fragrances you could smell at your local department store. In fact, why not just go and smell the Chanels and decide for yourself?

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Why Chanel? You don't like their men's fragrances, you think Egoiste is too feminine (which I don't fathom), and yet you want a masculine fragrance from the women's collection and not an Exclusif. It makes me wonder why you want to stick to Chanel at all. There are dozens of other houses with men's fragrances you could smell at your local department store. In fact, why not just go and smell the Chanels and decide for yourself?
    Why Chanel? Just because. There are people on this forum who aren't that interested in the men's line, but LOVE some of the women's line. I never said I disliked all of their fragrances; I just don't like them enough to want to purchase them.

    Thanks.

  23. #23
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    Why Chanel? Just because. There are people on this forum who aren't that interested in the men's line, but LOVE some of the women's line.
    ╔go´ste, Pour Monsieur and Antaeus are all considered bona fide classics.
    Even by most of those BNers, who doesn't actually dig the frags themselves.
    ╔dition Blanche has a HUGE online cult following.
    Platinum has its fans, too.

    The House of Chanel enjoys alot of praise here on BN.

    I can only repeat myself and join the hailers of the Exclusifs.
    You'll find a lot of brilliant frags in the Exclusifs line.
    Not all of them male friendly, but none of them has but a remotely bad reputation.
    Well, maybe Jersey?
    They're all good ... and not that expensive, now the 75 is avaliable.

    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 3rd January 2013 at 04:28 PM.

  24. #24
    Dependent canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Le Grand Duc, when will you be posting videos on Youtube? I've missed your videos

  25. #25
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aaw, sweet!

    I'm busy, busy these days. But I am working on some vids.
    I don't know when they'll be up, though. Stay tuned.

  26. #26
    Dependent canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Aaw, sweet!

    I'm busy, busy these days. But I am working on some vids.
    I don't know when they'll be up, though. Stay tuned.
    Looking forward to it

  27. #27
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Aaw, sweet!

    I'm busy, busy these days. But I am working on some vids.
    I don't know when they'll be up, though. Stay tuned.
    What's your Youtube username?

  28. #28

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Cuir de Russie feels a bit feminime. just a bit, but quite masculine in its own aspects

  29. #29

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    I agree no19 is nice lovley dry down, but still masculine

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Will have to try get hold of samples of some of these. Thanks guys.

  31. #31
    Basenotes Plus
    indianwells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pembrokeshire
    Posts
    861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    I've tried some of the mens line such as Allure, Allure Sport, Allure Edition Blanche, Bleu De Chanel, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste.

    Allure was ok, but not very interesting.

    Allure Sport develops into something AMAZING when it mixes with the heat. Woody, musky, peppery kind of scent. If only it was like that from start to finish; because I'm not particularly crazy about the citrus opening.

    Allure Edition Blanche is a very pleasant lemon, I like it but don't think it's very versatile. I'm not sure I want to go around smelling like a lemon.

    Bleu De Chanel was ok, but not very interesting.

    Platinum Egoiste was uninteresting.

    Egoiste smelt too feminine.

    I thought perhaps I'd try out a couple from the womens line just for the sake of it, maybe learn something.
    Egoiste feminine? Really?
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Chanels for women are suitable for men?

    Quote Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
    Egoiste feminine? Really?
    Why are you surprised? It's my personal opinion, and everyone's nose is different The spiciness mixed with the rose just makes me feel as if it's something I'd associate with a woman. I'm just being honest!

Similar Threads

  1. i don't care for the chanels - am i alone?
    By noirdrakkar in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 3rd January 2013, 07:01 AM
  2. Rank The Chanels
    By noirdrakkar in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2nd January 2013, 11:02 PM
  3. Sexy cars when women drive them and suitable scents
    By Alityke in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18th June 2012, 04:55 PM
  4. Chanels for men?
    By bluelit8 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 4th February 2009, 01:13 AM
  5. Has anyone seen Chanels at a discount?
    By Coleman in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th June 2005, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •