Code of Conduct

Default Back up bottles...any thoughts?

I see alot of youtube reviewers always saying they have back up bottles and what not but, i doubt they are going to finish that bottle within 5 years, especailly giving the size of their collection. i myself have fallen for it, and bought a 2nd bottle of pure malt, and i found myself never wearing my first one only on special occasions and also because its a bold fragrance. Now im thinkin of getting a back up bottle of dior homme intense, but as i look at my old one its still full, any thoughts fellow basenoters on this "back up bottle" topic?

Default Re: Back up bottles...any thoughts?

IMO it's warranted if the fragrance is clearly earmarked for discontinuation and you like it a lot.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I only have backups of the discontinued ones I love most. I am happy to have them since there is no more being made.

The problem with buying backups of current scents is that they tie up your money -- and your taste may change, leaving you with bottles to sell off at a loss.

Basenotes Plus

LOL anytime I use more than an inch of a new bottle I think I need a backup bottle- thankfully I don't act on that impulse.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

look how easy it is to find discontinued frags from 20-30 years ago... sure, maybe you'll have to hunt a little, and even pay a premium (although in most cases they're actually dirt cheap "oldies"). IMO I'd rather spend the money on another new frag and worry about getting a replacement/backup when I've finished that bottle in 5-10 years. it'll be around, don't worry ***

the only exception to this are frags taht are specifically limited edition like the Muglers for example... but even then, they're potent and come in 100ml bottles...
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

i was giving an aqua di gio bottle like 4 years ago 100ml and sprayed it like crazy cuz its not hard to wear and i still have like 30ml left, i do agree on the discontinuation, but its true also that ur taste will change and boredom strikes quick, i doubt ima get a back up for dior homme intense even if the formulation change because i dont even reach for it that much...its my special occasion fragrance

I really don't think i'd need a back up bottle. I have a few bottles in my rotation, and most of them, I'm pretty sure will be in a production for a while.

If I get concrete proof that it's being discontinued, and I don't have enough in my current bottle, I'll buy it but most likely, my preference will have changed.

that being said, if chanel was discontinuing their allure homme line, i'd probably buy couple back ups of allure homme and edition blanche

For me, there isn't much of an issue because the vintage ones I want are expensive (or I already have plenty, such as vintage Quorum), so I try to get good deals on ebay. At some point, if I think I have enough, I just don't look for them any more. The only way I think I'd run out is if I broke a bottle, because I'd probably have to live to be 400 to use up everything I've got now. LOL.

understandable, honestly if it comes down to buyin a back up, it would be my signature scents such as Platinum egoiste and LHomme, but not a cologne that i hold dear because i know for a fact not many special moments happen in a year n by the time i finish one bottle it would probably be expired

When I notice a bottle is soon empty, I order/buy a new one. It`s meanigless to have 2 identical almost full bottles of the same fragrance. The second bottle will just collect dust..

Banned

I've now got 300ml of Dior Homme Intense and I'm thinking it's probably too much! I'll no doubt use it eventually but not for a good few years! Also just ordered a back up L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme, for no other reason than I really like it and don't want to risk not being able to find it! Currently looking for another Pure Malt. In summation, I'd say that back up bottles are a good thing for peace of mind but hold no excitement or mystery when they arrive which is one of the reasons I enjoy buying new scents (usually blind) however, where do you stop? It's unrealistic to think that you would get through over 500ml of any fragrance in a steady rotation!

I think almost by definition, to back-up on a fragrance it must be a big favourite. So within reason, it's justified. I backed up on PS London after it was discontinued, only to see it re-released not long after. I also own far too high a quantity of Acqua di Parma, but that's because I always fall for their special edition releases, as opposed to deliberately backing-up on the scent. I wouldn't go as far as to say I regret these purchases, but I do sometimes question myself on how necessary they were...!

I was forced to buy a back up of Dior Homme Intense and only due to the coming reformulation next month. I would not for any other reason as my tastes do change.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

There's plenty of good fragrances so I have never wasted a thought on this.

IMHO, there's no need to back-up every single fragrance in your collection - just a select few, with a very good reason. If re-formulations didn't exist, and the fragrances I love were easy to obtain, acquiring back-ups would be a redundant activity.

I'm not sure I'm at ease with the notion of a "back up bottle". That said, do I own multiple bottles of the same fragrance? - you bet I do. Primarily because they are my favourite fragrances, and I'll wear them. I wear fragrance every day; I don't have a concept of 'special occasions'; I can't imagine a bottle lasting 4 years; in fact, I'd probably empty 4 bottles a year. I don't rotate my fragrances like some do - I'd easily wear the same fragrance for a season, or a month - SOTD is as foreign a concept to me as the signature fragrance is to most BNers. I want people to smell me, and I want them to know its me.

Off the top of my head, my multiple bottles include:

Guerlain Vetiver (and I have several of the flankers)

Kouros (ditto)

Habit Rouge (ditto)

Terre d'Hermes

Opium pour homme

Balenciaga pour homme (discontinued)

M7

Yatagan

Now, it's easy to understand that these are all 'affordable' fragrances, and I can afford to have multiple bottles of each. But years from now, when I'm much older, beyond experimenting with new fragrances, and probably not as 'cashed up' as I am now; these are the fragrances I'd still be wearing. It's a bit like having two bottles of milk in the 'fridge; and a long-life bottle in the cupboard. I don't want to run out of milk.

If some scent is going at a real bargain price, I'd be kicking myself if I didn't buy the back-ups.
    That's why I have two back-ups of Millesime Tabarome ($63 per 125ml bottle) and of Green Irish Tweed ($83 per 125ml bottle).
    Who cares if you don't wear them that often?

I've never bought a back-up if it wasn't going cheap. Even my much loved and discontinued Gucci Rush had to drop to $25 before I got a back-up.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    It's a bit like having two bottles of milk in the 'fridge; and a long-life bottle in the cupboard. I don't want to run out of milk.
    I do that - and inevitably, when I need it, I find that the long life milk is about six months past the use-by date. And it's somewhat gluggy and undrinkable.
    Luckily, that rarely happens with scents.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I am like Renato in that I do have backups of Creeds. When GIT and MI started getting a little more scare on Ebay, I got backups. I also get in on a decant split situation on GIT, so now I am using a 2.5 bottle of GIT, with about 30mls of the 50ml decant I got still left and then a whole new 4.0 bottle on tap. With MI, I obtained a 4.0 tester of MI (around $123) and then a trade for another 4.0 bottle. Just got Aventus and if I get a deal, I can see me getting a backup. I have 200ml of Coromandel. But then again, I dont want 20 colognes, so I am down to a handful, now 4, scents that I really like and because of the conditions of Creed, then yes, I have backups and wont have to be buying cologne for like 3 more years. That said, I do tire of scents (but seem to always come back to Creed, mainly due to wife loving how they smell on me) and if I sell, I can usually recover what I have in them by swap or outright sale.

I have a few. Like vetiver oriental in global bottle. It's a hassle to get one from Palais Royal.
    Purple patchouli since they discontinued it.

for swap/sale:

I only buy back up bottles if I run out of a perfume I particularly love or If I found an extremely teasing bargain (i.e. I bought 2 bottles of Je Suis An Homme for 10 euros each and 2 bottles of Rochas Lui for 15 euros each)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    LOL anytime I use more than an inch of a new bottle I think I need a backup bottle- thankfully I don't act on that impulse.
    *LOL* Like me !
    I have backups of some Guerlains and Chanel No.5 . 30 Roses is right !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

When I first started in this hobby I pursued back-ups for my favorite scents because at the the time I knew they were discontinued and I felt I would never want to be without. It comes down to psychology. Yes there is a certain level of comfort and satisfaction knowing it will always be there. However, I have since experienced, as time went on, and my collection grew, I realized I will never burn through alot of the juice in my bloading wardrobe, even with a steady rotation. It is just not humanly possible.

I find now my perspective has changed and I feel different about the concept of purchasing back-up bottles now. A prime example of how my thinking changed over time was just last week, I contemplated and debated on purchasing a 100 Ml bottle of Dior Homme Intense due to the pending re-formulation. This is a potent juice. There is no way I would burn through this bottle. I stopped myself from pulling the trigger, and in the end I was content with the decision to settle on a 30 Ml decant. A year ago, I would not even have hesitated. To me, now decants are all the back up I will ever need due to the volume of juice in my collection.

Having said that, I would consider buying a back up, only if is one heck of a deal on one of my favorite fragrances presented itself and that I could not pass up, which can happen every now and again

The other good reason to backup is that, even though the scent may not be discontinued, there is no guarantee that it will be anywhere near as good when you do run out of your bottle, given all the reformulations and the continual banning of ingredients which don't seem to have had any ill effect on millions of people after scores or years of usage.
    Regards,
    Renato

IMO to buy backup bottles, you must truly LOVE the frag. I have a solid 20-30 bottle collection and only have backups of DG by. Some Frags come and go as my taste changes but a holy grail is always backup worthy.

Blog Entries

When is doubt, back it up. When they are gone from distribution or changed by reformulation I am well stocked.

i do have back up bottles for my 30/50ml bottles like...Azzaro Chrome, RL Polo Blue, Armani Diamonds, Boss #6, Banana Republic classic 50ml, Chanel Platinum Egoiste 50ml

My number of backup bottles have varied between 1-5 per individual fragrance and this amount of bottles served me well so far

I have a few - ones that I particularly like.

Some have been discontinued and some have been reformulated (not for the better) since I bought mine so I'm happy to be covered. And as far as I know none of the ones I own have come down in price - actually most have gone up - so I guess I'm ahead of the eight ball financially as well.

1. I must know I'll use the whole bottle.
    2. It must be difficult to find.
    3. I like it so damn much even change in taste won't be a factor.

Pure Malt x2, DHI x2, LIDGE x3
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Banned

Right now, the only frag I would buy a back up of is Rock Mountain Wood. All of my other bottles are top seller and very popular. Sephora has stopped carrying RMW, and I can't find it at any Macys , Dillards, JCpenny, Von Maur, Younkers, or any other dept. store. Maybe I am just being paranoid but it is slowly becoming less available, and RMW has been my signature scent since I bought it two years ago. I have a little less than half of my 100ml bottle left, and I have 16 frags in my wardrobe. It being my signature scent and the one I reach for A LOT, plus my possibly irrational fear of it being discontinued, are the only reasons I would have a sealed bottle in storage, maybe two

If I really love a frag, I may buy a backup, in case there is a formulation change as happens so often

Banned

But when can you know when they are going to reformulate a frag? I would think they want to keep that on the down low.

Don't have any. Don't see the point. If I ever run out of anything (doubtful) and it's been discontinued, that's just an opportunity to find something else to love.

Quote Originally Posted by LEBRON JAMES View Post
    But when can you know when they are going to reformulate a frag? I would think they want to keep that on the down low.
    Well if I buy a bottle of something and really love it, I will immediately buy another and therefore the chances are pretty damn good that I will have a backup of he formulation that I like.

If you have the extra cash, why not?

You can always sell the bottle down the line if you don't get around to it, and at least with some frags you can probably sell it for more than you bought it.

A worthy fail-safe option for something you really love, IMO.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

If I truly love a fragrance, I will purchase a back up bottle of it because fragrances are re-formulated or discontinued so quickly today.

I doubt that I'll ever empty a bottle again, and my space is limited, so I'm firmly opposed to backup bottles. I admit that I recently had to suppress the temptation to buy a backup of Tea for Two, just because it seems so very wrong that it's discontinued. But that logic made no sense, and I did refrain.

If I had more space, I can imagine that I might buy more bottles just to have plenty to hand out decants to friends, like a grandma handing out cookies.

I have a very small collection and it will probably take me a good 5 to 7 years to use up all my fragrance. That's with around 20 bottles. If you do the math it really is absurd.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Honestly, it's not like if a fragrance is reformulated or discontinued, that all supply of it will automatically be gone the next day.

There is often time between those two events, where you can purchase those fragrances online.

Yeah, you'll probably pay a little more. But it makes no sense to buy back up bottles of everything you like just to save money in the case that one of them is discontinued.

IMO, I'd only purchase a back-up bottle of a signature scent because every other bottle I wont use up in my lifetime.

But I can understand Creed fans who want to forever keep their favorite batch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    I doubt that I'll ever empty a bottle again, and my space is limited, so I'm firmly opposed to backup bottles. I admit that I recently had to suppress the temptation to buy a backup of Tea for Two, just because it seems so very wrong that it's discontinued. But that logic made no sense, and I did refrain.

If I had more space, I can imagine that I might buy more bottles just to have plenty to hand out decants to friends, like a grandma handing out cookies.
    yea like $20 cookies