Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Intro post - serious about studying perfumery

Hello all

I have been interested in fragrance for years, did a little dabbling in studying here & there. Loved perfume for years, but it was only when I got into a soapmaking binge awhile ago did I get interested in fragrance for itself.

A few months ago, I decided to get serious about studying perfumery, am beginning to assemble a beginner's organ to start developing a more sophisticated nose. I'm trying to develop a self-directed course of study in perfumery, for which I'm going to dedicate this next year in pursuing, in addition to my university classes.I've returned to college, to finally finish a degree - in business, perhaps international, and am taking courses to supplement my interest in perfumery --currently chemistry, and later, as I see others that may help in my endeavors.

Of course, finding Basenotes was finding the motherlode. I look forward to reading old & new threads, learning from so many skilled & opinionated members, and, hopefully, being able to contribute someday as well.

I lean towards preferring naturally sourced ingredients, but do not know enough about perfumery to be certain, beyond some ethical, economic & ecological reasons to go for synthetics. But processed & artificially flavored foods are so unappealing as opposed to naturally flavored foods, which have a depth and complexity that artificial flavors cannot match. With my limited knowledge, I just don't at the moment see that fragrances - synthetic vs natural - would not also follow. I look forward to learning enough to have an INFORMED opinion.

So much fun!

Default Re: Intro post - serious about studying perfumery

Welcome and good luck in your pursuit of your goal!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Intro post - serious about studying perfumery

Welcome to Basenotes! You may be interested in the forum below this one called "Fragrance DIY Discussion forum for those who create their own perfumes."
    Congratulations and good luck on your scented journey!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!