Code of Conduct

Default *Gag* - Laundry liquid Soap has gone NUCLEAR. Why?

I am now starting to GAG at the power of modern soap liquids. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THEM?

Our bedsheets were washed in this stuff the other day:

...and I could not sleep for the night. Absolutely horrendous, synthetic, headache-inducing smell. What are they playing at???? It never used to be like this.

Big search for non-scented detergent is now ongoing... as are arguments in the house about what smells good or not...

Default Re: *Gag* - Laundry liquid Soap has gone NUCLEAR. Why?

Lily and Ylang Ylang yikes. I feel for you, sounds dreadful. Please consider using unscented laundry detergent (or MFK lol)
    If you like some scent consider the Clean line. Spray a bit on the linens after laundering. Its a good line for that IMO.

Cheers Rex
    I thought about growing my own food. I didn't because I couldn't find the bacon seeds.

Unscented soap and mist the sheets with Prada Infusion d'Iris linen water. You will sleep like a baby.

Or maybe run an extra rinse cycle.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

All good advice, guys - thanks! :-)

I've noticed the latest adverts for Lenor (for instance) seem to be sold on the benefit of smelling 'fresh' after a week. Members of the public appear amazed and delighted after nettling in a bed for the benefit of the cameras. Christ, half the bottle must be galaxolide musk. Revolting!

Dependent

They've always been nasty and overbearing to me. Been using unscented since before I started doing my own laundry.

There must be .000000000002% real ylang in there if it says there's some!

Once you switch to fragrance-free laundry soap and fabric softener, it's amazing how fast your nose gets sensitive to the fakey smells most laundry soaps have.

I absolutely cannot sleep on sheets laundered with most scented liquid soaps. The smell is just overpowering.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Surf is one of the worst offenders. I use this Purex one but I also use their scented varieties. http://www.purex.com/products/detergents/free-and-clear
    Last edited by TheVakman; 3rd January 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Actually I don't find scented detergents that bad as long as they aren't trying to smell like something. For instance I am OK with the scented Tide that just smells like Tide aka soap. But the minute they start talking about Mountain Berry Meadow Unicorn Dew, I'm out.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I hate them and go out of my way to buy something neutral, Ariel liquid is not bad. Conditioner I go for Sensitive as it is neutral as well.
    DONNA

Unscented is the way to go IMO for a pleasant sleep.

I used to think I was allergic to many fragrances.

Turns out I'm just highly sensitive to awful FAKE SYNTHETIC CHEAP fragrances. Most of the ones I've tried recently (and love) I have no issue with.

Try Arm and Hammer unscented. I use it and I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVakman View Post
    Surf is one of the worst offenders. I use this Purex one but I also use their scented varieties. http://www.purex.com/products/detergents/free-and-clear
    I use this one once in awhile too Vakman - also Tide unscented and President's Choice version of the free and clear unscented. I'm another one who cannot stand the smell of the scented ones anymore. They must have become stronger, I've had some with smells that I can hardly "wash out" with two or three rinses.

Many detergents (liquid and powder) and fabric conditioners now contain fragrance that has been micro encapsulated. Tiny particles which contain pure fragrance which are designed to burst over time as they are rubbed together. So you wash your sheets and during the night as you move around the capsules break releasing ever more fragrance. This can go on for days. I agree with the above comments. the fragrances are pretty foul, too strong and last too long. The fragrance released is often not the same as the fragrance dissolved in the product (that is used as well). I stopped using Lenor April Fresh when this technology was applied, the resulting stench was unacceptable.

Lookout for products that are "Hypoallergenic" or designed for use on baby''s clothes; they usually don't have micro encapsulation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Actually I don't find scented detergents that bad as long as they aren't trying to smell like something. For instance I am OK with the scented Tide that just smells like Tide aka soap. But the minute they start talking about Mountain Berry Meadow Unicorn Dew, I'm out.
    LOL! Totally. TOTALLY!

I think the real culprit may be that they just try to come up with some *new* scent so quickly - and those things are never as well-tweaked as the old standard scents. When a gazillion new-and-improved scents are rushed to market, there's never enough time to check the unicorn for a poopy hoof.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Many detergents (liquid and powder) and fabric conditioners now contain fragrance that has been micro encapsulated. Tiny particles which contain pure fragrance which are designed to burst over time as they are rubbed together. So you wash your sheets and during the night as you move around the capsules break releasing ever more fragrance. This can go on for days. I agree with the above comments. the fragrances are pretty foul, too strong and last too long. The fragrance released is often not the same as the fragrance dissolved in the product (that is used as well). I stopped using Lenor April Fresh when this technology was applied, the resulting stench was unacceptable.

Lookout for products that are "Hypoallergenic" or designed for use on baby''s clothes; they usually don't have micro encapsulation.
    Great to know! Thanks, David!

Am I the only one that finds the idea of fragrance capsules that burst in your clothes/sheets...vaguely...creepy? In a "this is totally unnecessary, why would I WANT that?" sort of way? I mean, sure, it makes the scent last longer (for good or ill) but it's probably not all that good for you, especially since the scents aren't necessarily the same quality as what you would normally put on your skin intentionally (I'm guessing).

Blog Entries

^ Exactly. Just a tiny bit *creepy*. But - OTOH - this is one place where I do think the relentless safety focus of the industry is actually a good thing. I would expect that the list of things getting prolonged has gotten lots of attention for exactly this reason.

I'll be honest - I *like* having clothes that smell fresh weeks after washing. And if it's (roughly) the same stuff as when they came out of the wash and dry - no problem.

Also - it's not like the microcapsules are leaving shards of mica, glass, or asbestos in our clothing. Here's a neat video talking about some examplary (but not necessarily typical) technology. I guess it eases my mind somewhat to know that the microcapsules aren't like nanobots or something really dire.

That encapsulation video is really interesting. It seems like there could be a lot of interesting applications to being able to infuse an item with a scent that withstands 100 washings, temperatures up to 160 degrees, and which remains present in its original state for years.

The idea of a brand like Comme des Garcons infusing articles of clothing with one of their fragrances seems very... Comme des Garcons. A winter scarf that always smells of Avignon. A bathrobe or towels that always smell of Kyoto.

Or a company like Diptyque could partner with a company like Flor to infuse a room with a fragrance that is released with each step on the carpet.

Many detergents (liquid and powder) and fabric conditioners now contain fragrance that has been micro encapsulated. Tiny particles which contain pure fragrance which are designed to burst over time as they are rubbed together. So you wash your sheets and during the night as you move around the capsules break releasing ever more fragrance. This can go on for days.
    That sounds horrific.

I wear a fragrance because I want to. I do not want to be forced to smell like anything. I would never buy a piece of clothing that smelled of any fragrance; and as for a fragranced carpet!!!

When I first learned about micro encapsulation (working as a perfumer making amongst others fragrances for detergent products) I too was horrified. First of all it explained what had happened to Lenor, and why I had to change brands. I wondered about the safety aspect of having concentrated fragrance placed on your skin (the fragrance in the capsules isn't diluted) and did not receive any explanation, even from our safety officer. Seems to me that it is impossible to calculate how much fragrance one would be exposed to. I am amazed that IFRA allows this.

Not to turn this into a 'what's your favourite laundry detergent?' thread, but.... I use Ecover powder which claims to be fragrance-free. Available at Sainsbury's.

I wear a fragrance because I want to. I do not want to be forced to smell like anything. I would never buy a piece of clothing that smelled of any fragrance; and as for a fragranced carpet!!!
    Exactly!!! I can see A&F doing something like this...seeing as they already force people to smell their (awful, in my opinion) stink by spraying it all over the mall! I'm surprised they haven't already done this, so you can take the stink home with you! And smell so TRENDY!