Code of Conduct

Default i thought i killed my collection !

luckily everything is ok for now!

see the panic started this afternoon. its 36 deg here in australia and i went to apply a sample of tf azure lime, only to smell nothing but alcohol!
    i panicked and tried some of my other samples, the same result, nothing but empty alcohol.

i took everything and stashed it into the bottom drawer of my fridge.
    left it there for about an hour than transferred it to a cooler darker location in the house.
    it was originally on a top shelf in my wardrobe. it sees some light during the day.

what exactly causes the fragrances to suddenly go mute??
    Obviously the heat is the main factor but in what way does it interfere here, and how does that compare to your own body heat???
    i'm interested in the science of it all......

tomorrow is 41 deg! is it ok to leave them in the fridge for an extended period of time?????

any help here i would be very grateful.

thanks

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: i thought i killed my collection !

I had a similar but opposite problem. I ordered a fragrance overseas and didn't expect it to arrive until after Christmas. When I got home from spending the day with the family, I noticed the package arrived and it was 29 degrees (F) outside. I let the fragrance warm up a bit inside then sprayed it. It smelled exactly as you said, straight alcohol. Today it smells fine though, I just hope the projection and longevity didn't diminish as I haven't tried it on my skin yet.

I would suggest not constantly transporting fragrances to and from the refrigerator. If you've going to do it, keep them in there. The constant change in temperature from transporting to and from the refrigerator will diminish the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Exposure to excessively high temperatures can cause perfumes to develop a musty smell. Temperatures that are consistently above 70 degrees can have an adverse effect on the chemicals that compose most perfumes. Similarly, sudden and severe shifts in temperature can also compromise a perfume's quality, lending it an unpleasant musty smell.

I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Exposure to excessively high temperatures can cause perfumes to develop a musty smell. Temperatures that are consistently above 70 degrees can have an adverse effect on the chemicals that compose most perfumes. Similarly, sudden and severe shifts in temperature can also compromise a perfume's quality, lending it an unpleasant musty smell.

Are you talking about Fahrenheit or Celsius? If Fahrenheit, the average room temperature is generally 70* or higher. I have fragrances that are 15-20 years old that have been at room temperature that are quite fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Are you talking about Fahrenheit or Celsius? If Fahrenheit, the average room temperature is generally 70* or higher. I have fragrances that are 15-20 years old that have been at room temperature that are quite fine.
    agree

The light was probably the main culprit more so than the actual temperature.

Sunlight will pretty much kill a fragrance.

Based on my research a fragrance has to be exposed an extensive amount of time for a fragrance to be affected by temperature.

I have tested and let samples of fragrances sit in my car for a 2-3 days in extremely high heat (I'm talkin 100-110) with windows up, and as cold as it gets (20-35), in my glove compartment and they were perfectly fine. I put the same fragrance but a different sample in the sunlight on the dashboard of my car in the same temperatures and within those 2 days the juice had turned colors (especially in heat), and the fragrance was no where as potent as it's supposed to be. The top notes were pretty much annihilated.

*Testing was done with samples of A*Men as it is strong and longevity and projection are well established by us BNers. No animals were harmed during this testing lol.

Just keep them in a cool dark place from now on.