Code of Conduct

Thread: MFK and Le Male

Default MFK and Le Male

I've noticed over my time here that a lot of people are big fans of MFK, but hate Le Male. I was wondering if that could be attributed more to the fact that people actually dislike Le Male or the fact that it is such a mainstream fragrance... I only have a couple MFK fragrances, but I enjoy them and think Le Male smells decent as well.

Default Re: MFK and Le Male

What people like is very subjective.

If you hate it because it is mainstream you are a fragrance hipster/snob.

If you hate it because of the way it smells then good on you.

If you like MFK or Reflection Man because they smell better to you than Le Male then good on you.

If you like MFK or Reflection Man purely because they are more exclusive, "niche", expensive.. etc.. then your a fragrance snob

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Le Male was Francis Kurkjian's creation for JPG in 1995 was it not? I thought it was a decent enough fragrance. I just don't like the bottle.

I do not like Le Male since I think the base is quite boring, however I very much enjoy and respect Francis Kurkjian's other creations for JPG like Fleur de Male (both EDT & EDC) and Gaultier2. With that said I think majority of MFK creations are underwhelming, unoriginal and overpriced

I was only wondering, because it seems that most people tend to like most of a certain perfumeir's creations if they like their "style". It seems with this particular one though, many are divided. Although, I don't like everything Ellena or Roucel have created based on a few gems...I'm torn too.

I donīt like most designer fragrances, because most perfumeurs are not respected during working.

MFK once said in a German interview that he was treated as nobody while creating Le Male and other designer fragrances.

There was no conversation between him and packiging designer. He even didnīt know that his creation will be called Le Male.

You only work for designer houses as an anonymous person.

Thatīs why most designer fragrances lose their characters, personality and my respect.

I hope that my favortie house, Dior and Chanel are different.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to your question: Le Male has the potential to be beautiful, but unfortunately, it is made with bad ingredients, whose qualities are pretty low.

So many people apply Le Male with 5 or 6 sprays and it makes this fragrance worse even if the fragrance is not guilty, but most people do think that this fragrance is bad.

I am sure that MFK could have made this fragrance better, but most designer houses attribute every creation to every perfumeur, so that there is no free creativity for perfumeurs.

Have no complaints about either.

On a slightly related note, I really don't understand why people compare Le Male to Reflection Man. Two completely different fragrances to my nose. On the other hand, it annoys me even more so when the very same people swear blind that Cool Water and GIT are completely different, despite one clearly being a clone of the other. Gah!

Quote Originally Posted by Thematt202 View Post
    On a slightly related note, I really don't understand why people compare Le Male to Reflection Man. Two completely different fragrances to my nose. On the other hand, it annoys me even more so when the very same people swear blind that Cool Water and GIT are completely different, despite one clearly being a clone of the other. Gah!
    Fragrance perception is purely subjective. The same way you notice a similarity between GIT and Cool water is the same way many other people notice a smiliarity between Le Male and Reflection Man. Most people that don't get the resemblance at all say that to feel better about there purchase, and some others like you dont notice it all. To m there are differences between these scents but they do smell similar to my nose.

All depends on YOUR taste.

Overcome By Fumes

The first time I tried Le Male was from a sample. I got a screechy fake vanilla smelling bomb that I detested, and although I tried it a few times after that (because some people swear by it and because of its (haha) mystical powers over women, but never could stand it. Eventually I saw the bottle and was relieved that I didn't like it. I think the perfumer has made some very good fragrances. Le Male was made when he was only 25 which may bear little reflection on his current work. Many artists develop different styles over the course of 15+ years. I'm not that sure I believe in perfumers having characteristic styles much. The notes or genres of fragrance usually reflect much more semblance among perfumes than the perfumer.

Le Male was MFKs first fragrance creation, at the age of 25 I believe.

I personally hate Le Male to death! It smells of the barbershops in the 70s. No vanilla what so ever! But on the other hand, his other creations are beautiful. Out of the fragrances I've smelled from MFK, Gaultier2 and Amyris Homme are the best.