Code of Conduct

Default Egoiste or Anteus?

I am new to this site and after reading and enjoying many reviews I've decided I would like to try one of these Chanels. I have no opportunity to sample either of these frags, but the reviews on each have piqued my interest. My favorite right now is Aramis ( I know it's old school and inexpensive, but I like it). I also like and wear Polo (the classic green).

Of the two Chanels in the title, which would you wear and why? Am very interested to hear what the "educated noses" have to say on these. TIA

Default Re: Egoiste or Anteus?

I can tell you now Egoiste is gonna win this battle hands down.

They are both classics, for sure. Based on your tastes, it's very likely you'll enjoy Antaeus, but I'd easily recommend Egoiste as well. It's masculine, but not as much of a powerhouse as your others, and I think it would provide you with some additional versatility (something you might find you like to wear in other situations).

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste hands down.

I personally prefer Egoiste, but since you like Aramis, and Polo Green, I think Antaeus would be better for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Ego´ste for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend Antaeus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you want more masculinity, go for Antaeus, as it has that distinctive leather note. I really like both, and if money isn't an issue for me, I'd purchase both from chanel website five seconds after hitting the submit button.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Antaeus is more in line with the ones you've listed as favorites. It's an aromatic leather with a somewhat animalic base. Nice, but I don't find it as distinctive as Egoiste.

For me, Egoiste is the strongest Chanel masculine by far. It's not like anything else, except Bois des Iles, which has a softer, more floral opening - very similar base. It's warm and sexy, with a big rose note balanced by rosewood and sandalwood. I suppose its an oriental, but not a sweet resinous one.

It would give you something markedly different than the ones you mentioned. You may not like it though.

If you can find it nearby to sample, do so. If you have to blind buy, I suggest you get Egoiste. You can always swap or sell it given it's popularity.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste

I would say Egoiste all the way

Egoiste

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste or Anteus? They're very different. Apples and oranges. Both fantastic, both classics. I personally prefer Egoiste as I can't think of anything else which would satisfy were I in the mood to wear it, while there are many great powerhouse fragrances with uber-masculine qualities like Anteus. That doesn't mean it's better though. The opening reminds me of iodine. Some people can't get past that.

Egoiste
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

Thanks for the input everybody. I'm leaning towards Egoiste, as it seems to be exceptionally well thought of, and will add something a little different to what I already have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you would be happiest with Anateus. It's gonna give you more of the sillage your used to.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Post Thanks / Like

Antaeus

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Antaeus. It does project more whilst Egoiste is more of a skin scent. I myself enjoy Polo Green and Aramis. Antaeus is more in line with those fragrances.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CesareBorgia View Post
    Thanks for the input everybody. I'm leaning towards Egoiste, as it seems to be exceptionally well thought of, and will add something a little different to what I already have.
    Anteaus and it's not even close. If you chose Egoiste over Anteaus you're making a terrible mistake.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

They are very different fragrances. Our suggestions of one over the other are meaningless. Trying one will tell you nothing about the other. You must buy both!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't blind buy Egoiste. As much as it's recommended on here it has some things that you might not care for. First time I smelled it all I could think of was rubbing alcohol with a touch of cinnamon. I like it now, but I think it's more of an acquired taste than something that's immediately going to knock your socks off.

Wow, you guys make this tough, and I'm a terrible waffler. It does appear that Anteaus would be a safer buy for me. My trepidation about Egoiste is the rose or floral elements. Everybody in the reviews seem to think it's a masculine scent, but the rose worries me. I don't like scents that seem remotely feminine. My wife tried to get me to wear D&B The One, and I just wasn't comfortable with it. On a side note, I was in an Ulta store yesterday to pick up a bottle of Aramis, and "discovered" Azzaro Pour Homme. Took one sniff and added it to my bag. Came home and read the reviews and they re-enforced my impression. I've got it on right now and am loving it. My wife likes it too and she's very picky! Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Anteaus. Reading all of the reviews on these two and with the discussion here, I pretty confident I'll like it. Will eventually try Egoiste though; perhaps with a little more "olfactory" experience under my belt.