Code of Conduct

Default Pure Malt Longevity Issues.

I'm sure with the Rerelease of pure malt everyone is tired of seeing threads about it, but I have to ask. I got my bottle in the mail yesterday. I own the original A*men, which has insane longevity. With pure malt I am only getting 2 1/2 hours. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it was reformulated? Has anyone Ordered a bottle and compared it to one they have already owned?

Default Re: Pure Malt Longevity Issues.

Have both, and the PM is certainly more subdued than its brethren (this is a good thing, imo), but longevity is still a solid 6-8 hours for me. Not the 9-12 hours I get with the original, but certainly well within acceptable range. Perhaps you're misconstruing its lack of projection for a lack of longevity. It quiets down a bit after the first hour or so, but is very noticeable for quite a while after that. I sprayed one solid spray on upper chest/lower neck the other day for work, and could still smell it under my collar just before going home for the day. For the record, this is with the new "limited edition" bottles. Did you ask anyone else if they could still detect it on you?

I did ask and she could not smell it. That was 4 sprays, 2 hours in.

I own the original release of PM. When I tried it the first few times, it was a projection & longevity beast. However, now that it's been 1-2 years since I first tried it, the longevity isn't nearly as good. Not sure if the juice got degraded or if it's just me. I now just get around 6-8 hours.

I store my frags in a nice cool dark place that never sees sunlight, so I'm not sure what happened.

When i tried pure malt one morning, not only did it last me the entire day, but when i took a shower the NEXT day it was still on my skin really strong, and i was pissed because i had other samples i wanted to try on my skin. Pure malt lasts way too long on me.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    When i tried pure malt one morning, not only did it last me the entire day, but when i took a shower the NEXT day it was still on my skin really strong, and i was pissed because i had other samples i wanted to try on my skin. Pure malt lasts way too long on me.
    2012 batch?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I own the original release of PM. When I tried it the first few times, it was a projection & longevity beast. However, now that it's been 1-2 years since I first tried it, the longevity isn't nearly as good. Not sure if the juice got degraded or if it's just me. I now just get around 6-8 hours.

I store my frags in a nice cool dark place that never sees sunlight, so I'm not sure what happened.
    I've had the exact same experience. I wonder if it's psychosomatic though. I tend to find that when a fragrance is 'new' to me, I can smell it all day, all night and into the next morning. As I get accustomed to it, I notice it less, though I am sure it is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I've had the exact same experience. I wonder if it's psychosomatic though. I tend to find that when a fragrance is 'new' to me, I can smell it all day, all night and into the next morning. As I get accustomed to it, I notice it less, though I am sure it is still there.
    Interesting. Your explanation does sound plausible because I experience a similar issue with A*Men. The first time I tried it, it literally lasted me 14+ hours. Now I feel like I get around 8. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all psychological and some sort of effect of nose fatigue. As the saying goes, the mind works in mysterious ways.

Mine lasted 8 hours. Dunno how much more since I went to bed :P
    Got mine Thurs

Basenotes Junkie

Pure malt last forever on me in the winter but in the summer Im very active and sweat a lot so it vanishes a lot quicker
    Last edited by Vince23heat; 7th July 2012 at 02:59 AM.

Give it some time man.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Blog Entries

Let's see how far it goes under 100F heat tomorrow.

I got a 3ml sample before I bought the new one from the mugler store. the sample feels stronger...more smokier. One spray on the chest and it seems to still last a long time but without the smokey scent. Maybe we have to give it time and a few sprays before it gets better.

Very good longevity for me with Pure Malt.

My 2012 bottle seems to last about 6 hours to me.
    -AVENTUS-

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    2012 batch?
    I received my sample in 2012 , yes

it is no where near the longevity of AMEN, I can smell it for 4 to 6 hrs on me.
    I hope others can tell if the 2012 PureMalt smells the same as well.
    -AVENTUS-

I'm getting 6 hours with my 2012 pure malt. My pure havane seems to last longer and project better

My 2009 Pure Malt lasts 10-16 hours.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Basenotes Junkie

will test longevity tomorrow side by side but so far the 2012 bottle smells like alcohol upon initial spray while the old bottle smells smooth right from the first spray

will test longevity tomorrow side by side but so far the 2012 bottle smells like alcohol upon initial spray while the old bottle smells smooth right from the first spray
    Okay , so now I know I'm not the only one

please let us know how it progresses after more sprays and how it eventually compares to your old bottle.
    Last edited by psylence2k; 9th July 2012 at 03:17 AM.

6 hours. It's not as good as A*Men anyway, cause it smells like plastic in the drydown.

If you find A*Men a bit too crazy for you, Pure Havane is a better solution, IMO.

My 2011 batch lasts at least 8 hours
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I purchased the latest batch of Pure Malt, and also had some immediate concerns regarding longevity. I had just opened my bottle of Pure Havane in order to decide if I wanted to make this purchase and upon smelling Havane knew that this was worth a blind buy.

It could be that I had simply never smelled anything quite like Havane and had higher expectations....but as the OP brought up, the longevity of Malt is definitely not on par with Havane and (at least for me) did not last long at all. This is just an intial impression, and am looking forward to playing with this fragrance some more!!

I just recently bought pure malt and pure havane. Both smell great, but my pure havane lasts longer than pure malt. By 5 to 6 hours pure malt becomes a skin scent I can barely smell. What happened to this so called projection, winter only monster of a fragrance?

In heat and humidity (with perspiration), Pure Malt was totally obliterated on me. Absolutely nothing was left of it, and it took less than an hour to accomplish that. I was stunned.

However, if you can keep the perspiration under control, the scent will transform to a skin scent in strong heat and mugginess, but will still be there. It can also generate a fume cloud when first applied in this kind of weather, so beware.

I've found Pure Malt holds up best on my shirt and in air conditioning. It is definitely less long-lasting and noticeable than Havane. Be prepared to re-apply if weather conditions require it.

i find pure malt longer lasting than pure havane on me..

Basenotes Junkie

i remember pure malt used to last forever on me in the winter. In the summer, both the old release and new release isnt as long lasting

I had a bottle of the old release before I swapped it - longevity was never more than 5 or 6 hours, didn't matter what season. I hate to be that guy that says overhyped, but, Pure Malt = that fragrance with a great opening that slowly gets worse by the minute until it's gone.

Now that it's actually available, I think more people are starting to realize that it it's far from perfect, because it's not this unattainable treasure anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good fragrance, but just not a great one. Please no one throw rocks at me now.

Perhaps the beastly projection and longevity of PM was just folklore all along. I never found it to be particularly strong or long lasting. I get 8 hours or so with it. The original A*Men is a modern day powerhouse with ungentlemanly projection and 12+ hour longevity. None of the flankers match it. I think Pure Havane and Pure Malt are equals in longevity and projection. That's all based on my 2011 bottles of each though. I have backup bottles from the 2012 re-releases, but I won't open them for years.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265...with-Pure-Malt

Found this old thread. Should answer a lot of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by i8paintchipz View Post
    I'm sure with the Rerelease of pure malt everyone is tired of seeing threads about it, but I have to ask. I got my bottle in the mail yesterday. I own the original A*men, which has insane longevity. With pure malt I am only getting 2 1/2 hours. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it was reformulated? Has anyone Ordered a bottle and compared it to one they have already owned?
    I bought my PM and PH from Sephora France a month ago, and I get 2-3 hours from the boosy liqueur vibe, but then (unfortunately) at least 6-8 hours from the chocolate dry down, which I hoped was far more subdued in PM and PH than it actually is.....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

i remember pure malt used to last forever on me in the winter. In the summer, both the old release and new release isnt as long lasting
    are your old and new bottle identical though in longevity, projection and overall scent ?

if not, which one lasts longer, projects more, and smells better ? if not the same ?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    are your old and new bottle identical though in longevity, projection and overall scent ?

if not, which one lasts longer, projects more, and smells better ? if not the same ?
    havent gotten to test both of them thoroughly because it is summer but the scent is similar except the new bottles smell like alcohol for the first few seconds

havent gotten to test both of them thoroughly because it is summer but the scent is similar except the new bottles smell like alcohol for the first few seconds
    I got the same alcohol scent, was it just for your first couple sprays though ? or is it still that way for the first few seconds every time you spray it ??

Basenotes Junkie

I got the same alcohol scent, was it just for your first couple sprays though ? or is it still that way for the first few seconds every time you spray it ??
    only used my new bottle once so i will have to find out whether the alcohol is just the first ever time using the bottle

I bought my first bottle recently, so I cant comment on if its been reformulated or anything, but longevity wise ive gotten all day with mine. Granted its summer so ive only tried it a couple of times when I knew I was going to be home all day shrug...

Projection wise though im not getting anything beastly that people have talked about. Although im not sure what people are comparing it to though here. Its deff not le male, one million, or the regular A*men(then again I dislike the original though so that could be biased as im just kinda sensitive to/put off by it). But its definitely acceptable.

Basenotes Junkie

good news - i did not get any alcohol smell upon initial spray my second time testing the new bottle. It must only be the first time using a fresh bottle to get that alcohol smell

I get 24 hours out of this with medium projection and sillage.
    It ain't a projection monster like the original, and that's a good thing.

So today was my first full wearing of PM. I must say that my initial spraying of this stuff I was skeptical of longevity until today.

I sprayed it on around 9am I got monster projection for maybe the first 4 hours easy. I can still smell it on myself now at 10:29pm and this is after a very very light workout at the gym. Must say that this stuff does last and projects very well.

good news - i did not get any alcohol smell upon initial spray my second time testing the new bottle. It must only be the first time using a fresh bottle to get that alcohol smell
    that's what happened with mine, goood to hear !

Now that you've gotten to a second wear, is the overall scent, projection, and longevity of your new bottle pretty identical to your old bottle ??

Basenotes Junkie

that's what happened with mine, goood to hear !

Now that you've gotten to a second wear, is the overall scent, projection, and longevity of your new bottle pretty identical to your old bottle ??
    A Looooot better longevity and projection for sure

I've got the same problem! Received my bottle yday longevity seems terrible, quite disappointed after all that hype anyway got pure havane aswell which lasts just a bit longer. Like someone mentioned, all I get is whiskey from the first spray then it's just a linear close to the skin scent on me seems like they totally fucked this frag up by reformulating it!!

I have a Pure Malt sample and it has very poor sillage and longevity. My A*men is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by i8paintchipz View Post
    Just received a bottle of Pure Malt and I have to say: great scent.

However the longevity is surprisingly poor. Maybe the wrong batch?

- - - Updated - - -

Am i the only one?

guess so...

Lasts a couple of hours but doesn't project too much (or I can't smell it...maybe it's too linear?). As the beginning is by far the best part of the fragrance it can be tempting to spritz more as soon as it goes a bit limp.

Bought it last year from the Mugler shop.

I found the longevity on Malt was ALWAYS poor, even when it first came out, sillage though is pretty good.

I've had 2011 and 2012 bottles of this, longevity and projection have always been great except where the bottle has been exposed to too much warmth, projection is greatly diminished and alcohol smell increased
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Not a sillage or longevity monster... IMHO just average or above average. Great smell though
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get about 6 hours.

New batch gives me 8+
    Last edited by Nosebud; 4th January 2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: *sp

Initial wearing in Summer was almost 13 hours longevity. In the cold that has decreased to maybe 8 hours longevity. Still not bad, but this definitely isn't the monster that A*Men is.

Longevity- A*Men>>>Pure Havane>>>Pure Malt