Code of Conduct

Default Can I get a little help here...please?

So, I have been studying out a few fragrances over the past couple of weeks and I would like your help. Some of these I have tested, and some I have not, but the notes sound great and seem like something that I would like...at this point in my fragrance journey. If you take a look at my wardrobe you will see it's kind of all over the place (or so I have been told) and there are some notes that I'm drawn towards.
    If you could give me your thoughts on these fragrances I would greatly appreciate it.
    And, if you could give me your suggestion or choice if you were to purchase one from the one's I've listed, that would be great.
    AND if you don't like any of them, go ahead and give me a suggestion as to one that you think I might like based on these suggestions or my wardrobe.
    OR you could even suggest one that you are really digging at this moment in time whether it is similar to these frags or not.
    OR if you don't want to do any of the above, that's ok, thanks for reading.
    By the way, you can pick and choose also, you don't have to do all of the above. Thanks in advance. And, I know that these fragrances don't really relate to each other, they're one's that I've been looking into, that's all.

Here they are:
    A Lab on Fire Liquidnight-Never smelled it but sounds awesome. Sweet and woody with incense seems like something I would really like.
    Parfumerie Generale Aomassai-Never smelled but I think a caramel/incense frag would be different and cool.
    Parfumerie Generale Musc Maori-Never smelled. I've read it smells like melted chocolate, that would be cool. Does it come off quite feminine?
    Parfumerie Generale Djhenne-Never smelled, but a cocao frag with some depth sounds great.
    Tobacco VanilleSmelled it and I'm really starting to like it...I would like a great vanilla frag, but I'm still getting used to the tobacco note.

Thanks again to all of you knowledgeable people out there in basenotes world. I appreciate your help.

Default Re: Can I get a little help here...please?

I own the three by Parfumerie Generale - all very good, especially Aomassai.

Sound Scents

LiquidNight from your list would be my pick. Not groundbreaking innovative, but very pleasant smelling and extremely well-composed, IMO. Every time I wear it I love and appreciate it a bit more.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Only have and have tried Tobacco Vanille, which I would definitely recommend.

Own and love TV, definitely no purchase regrets. If you ask nicely at the Tom Ford counter they should decant you a 4ml sample of TV so you can get more familiar with it before committing to a purchase.

Haven't samples the others, so can't comment there.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

It seems that you like cocoa / chocolate type fragrances.

Have a look at Lutens Borneo 1834, Black Orchid, Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon. They might be up your street, too.

Thanks guys for the input. I have a very small sample of Tobacco Vanille, and at first I didn't like it so much, but it's really growing on me.

Thanks Unifex for the chocolate suggestions. I'm looking for a pretty good chocolate frag...many recommend LIDGE as a good one, but I'm not a fan. I had a bottle and traded it, way too much patchouli.

drseid, I really am intrigued by Liquidnight, I've heard good things about it. Have you smelled Hinoki from CDG? If so, would you say that the Hinoki in Liquidnight is similar or quite different.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and comments.

I love TV - very long lasting as well.

Liquidnight - I really thought I would like this based on some others comments and the notes. However, after wearing a sampe I bought a few times, I am not really a fan. It is ok, but has kind of a skanky vibe to it. You should definitely get a sample of this before you think of blind buying this one.

Personally for chocolate/gourmand I LOVE A*Men... I know there is a divide on this one, but I give it a very positive review.
    -Ben-

have a sample of aomassai - great perfumistic achievement, but too gourmand for me.... you like to run get a coffee or hot chocolate all the time. seriously, i craved chocolate, and ate some
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I love TV - very long lasting as well.

Liquidnight - I really thought I would like this based on some others comments and the notes. However, after wearing a sampe I bought a few times, I am not really a fan. It is ok, but has kind of a skanky vibe to it. You should definitely get a sample of this before you think of blind buying this one.
    Good idea getting a sample...I usually just like to blind buy but this one might not be the one to do that with. I'm definitely not in love with "Skanky" scents

Bemiller...I like A*men for the first little while and then it gets insanely cloying on me...I wish I felt the love for it like so many here on basenotes do. Thanks for the suggestion all the same.

mspa...you make it sound even better by your description...which could be a bad thing being that my wife and I run a candy store...I might eat all the candy before it gets sold if I'm wearing Aomassai.

Just a note on TV. It is often talked about as a vanilla frag, and I've read some people who experience it as vanilla prominent rather than tobacco. My experience is of a linear scent that is sweet but tobacco prominent. So if you are expecting the tobacco note to dissipate - it may not. I love this stuff

Have you sampled Musc Ravageur? Again, some consider it to be skanky, but to my nose it is vanilla rich with clove and cinnamon.

I haven't tried the others on your list, but strongly suggest sampling rather than blind buying.

From your to buy list - 1st pick is TV, followed by any PG fragrance (own Aomassai which is great!!!)]

From your wardrobe, what I find is that you have some very good brands / niche houses, however, the parfum u own is not necessarily the best from that house or as popular with BN either - examples from Fredric Malle - French Lover / Musc Ravageur / POAL will win the honours... Bigarade Concentree which you own, while a very good parfum by JC Elena, is not a stand out of this house, which many BN will agree with, its like a better extension of JCE's previous creations. Same with the Guerlain that you own, while its wonderful parfum w/o a doubt, you have so many other Guerlain's that are better & superior as well, some being all time classics that you could have bought. I am not saying that you should buy only the best seller or the most preferred by BN, as choices vary...To get to the point, I was unable to pinpoint any particular note / notes that u favor, so curious abt how u went abt purchasing your FB's of parfums...

You are also heavy on Bond # 9's which I (my opinion only) find way too over priced and over rated as well. There are many very good to great parfums from Gantier / Andy Tauer / Parfum d'Empire which u can buy for half the price of the Bond's and which again IMO are superior in creation...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    From your wardrobe, what I find is that you have some very good brands / niche houses, however, the parfum u own is not necessarily the best from that house or as popular with BN either - examples from Fredric Malle - French Lover / Musc Ravageur / POAL will win the honours... Bigarade Concentree which you own, while a very good parfum by JC Elena, is not a stand out of this house, which many BN will agree with, its like a better extension of JCE's previous creations. Same with the Guerlain that you own, while its wonderful parfum w/o a doubt, you have so many other Guerlain's that are better & superior as well, some being all time classics that you could have bought. I am not saying that you should buy only the best seller or the most preferred by BN, as choices vary...To get to the point, I was unable to pinpoint any particular note / notes that u favor, so curious abt how u went abt purchasing your FB's of parfums...

You are also heavy on Bond # 9's which I (my opinion only) find way too over priced and over rated as well. There are many very good to great parfums from Gantier / Andy Tauer / Parfum d'Empire which u can buy for half the price of the Bond's and which again IMO are superior in creation...
    Thanks for your insights. My wardrobe is a little all over the place. I have tried most of the Frederic Malle line and Bigarade is my favorite...I love Geranium Pour Monsieur but it makes me break out in a rash. I have some samples of it that I will spray on my clothes and not skin. I also like Bois d'Orage (French Lover) but I don't know if I like it enough for a full bottle purchase. I have tried and tried Musc Ravageur and I still can't stand the stuff. It rubs me the wrong way every time.

I have to give Guerlain more of a go. I've been to the Guerlain Boutique in Vegas twice and I am always drawn towards SDV, but then I go over to Barney's and find something that I want more. I absolutely love Herba Fresca, as I feel it's the best mint frag hands down, but I do need to sniff them out more and test them out more. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm actually a big fan of Bond no 9. I own full bottles of New Haarlem, Little Italy, and Marriage Equality...the others on my list are the 6ml sizes. I know that there's a lot of hate for Bond, but I really like quite a few of them. I like how they are a little on the more modern side of things. But to each there own...people can love Bond or they can hate Bond, it's all good to me.

I've discovered that I don't tend to like the "popular" frags that are always talked about on Basenotes...I don't know why. There are a few that I really like, but I tend to like the less popular frags in the individual houses or I tend to like the less popular houses. I just buy what I like and those likes are obviously all over the place. I'm really kind of digging incense frags at the moment. And, from the list above, I obviously am looking for another gourmand. Again, thanks for your suggestions. I'm really leaning toward Aomassai, I'll have to get a sample. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I just buy what I like and those likes are obviously all over the place.
    That's the only & best way to choose & buy...

For Incense - CdG's Avignon / Amouage Jubilation / Tauer's Incense Rose & Incense Extreme / Montale's Full Incense / by Kilian's Incense Oud

Gourmand - Montale Red Aoud & Choholate Greedy / Frapin 1270 / Un bois Vanille, Borneo 1834 & Datura Noir from Serge Lutens / Sables by Annick Goutal / every thierry mugler amen series except the cuir / Guerlain LIDGE / Dior homme Intense / PG's Coze

Just on your gourmand tendencies I'd recommend trying CK One Shock, Montale's Chocolate Greedy, and Frapin Speakeasy.