Code of Conduct

Default How long do essential oils last?

I want to start gathering up as much essential oils as i can, but obviously i cant afford to buy everything at once. I want to eventually have nearly every oil to choose from thats common in fragrances. Im just afraid that by the time i really start getting a good amount of oils, the oils that i had first purchased may be on the verge of going bad. Can these oils last years and years if kept up properly?

Default Re: How long do essential oils last?

I bought a whole bunch of essential oils and absolutes about 8 months ago and have found that the tuberose and narcissus de montagnes (both of which are (or were) gorgeous) have completely fallen apart. This mystifies me because there are plenty of perfumes out there that use those essential oils and they certainly hold up for longer than a year. I store everything in the dark in the fridge. These are the only two in my collection for which I have noticed this deterioration.

Some do better than others. I had a sandalwood that was almost 5yrs old and it got better with age. I've yet to have one deteriorate And most of mine are at least 1yr old, but then I dont have a lot of citrus which I hear are shorter lived.

I think that oxidation is a problem with some oils, especially citrus. There may be two ways that you could get around this. The first would be to add an antioxidant to the oils, like vitamin C, E, rosemary extract etc. The other method would be to store the oils in an oxygen free atmosphere. This can be achieved with the use of oxygen absorbers, the little sachets you sometimes find in pharmaceuticals. They usually contain iron filings, which draw the oxygen out of the air to form iron oxide (rust). There are other methods of oxygen removal, like vacuum packing and nitrogen flushing but they're not quite as effective as oxygen absorbers.

You could fill canning jars with your bottles of oil and place the necessary amount of oxygen absorbers in with them before sealing and placing in the fridge. It would be a good idea to leave the lid of each bottle on only loosely, so that the oxygen could be drawn out of each bottle by the absorbers in the jar. You can also buy oxygen indicator tablets (Oxy-Eye, Ageless Eye), which change color depending on the level of oxygen, alerting you to a possible seal breach during storage. I believe that the oxygen indicators can be reused many times. You would need to add new oxygen absorbers each time that you open and close a jar, although they're fairly inexpensive.
    Last edited by Pears; 4th January 2013 at 12:32 PM.