Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Antaeus question

Hello i just tested the new Antaeus, and it is very strong, i detect much patchouli, and it is very animalic on my skin. I washed my hand and it is still there, so as i said it is very strong.
    On the back of the box in the ingredients list is listed : Alcohol, Water, Fragrance + ....What was written on the vintage box?
    Now how much different is the vintage version, i'm only affraid if i stumble on some vintage Antaeus that could be spoiled due to bad storing or age.
    Should i just buy this new formulation or?

Thanks! Best regards

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chanel Antaeus question

The new formulation has a stronger longevity to it's basenotes, which I like and would buy compared to the vintage. But your question is subjective to what you like.
    Much like hearing a piece of music that can instantly take you back to a certain time and place, the faintest trace of a fragrance can evoke strong memories and powerful reactions from within.-Roja Dove

Whether it's new or the old it's very good so I'd buy it.

the new ones are actually better Antaeus in many ways
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

Any formulations, as far as I have tested and owned so far, smells good to me.

so it is no big difference between the new one and the vintage?

I disagree. The original or vintage was the Antaeus I remember from the early to mid 1980's. The new version is synthetic, powdery, flowery, cloying and lacks the leather, animalic and natural beeswax essence that made the original so grand. Despite the name the Sport version is not lighter or fresher. It is in fact more herbal with more weight. I like all three.

- - - Updated - - -

Grab one now ...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTAEUS-POUR...item27c8fc86bc
    Last edited by neal; 5th January 2013 at 09:36 PM.

thanks neal, as i said the new one that i tested smells still pretty strong, musky, big on patchouli
    do you maybe have a box of the vintage one and could you read what is written in ingredients list?

and lacks the leather, animalic and natural beeswax essence that made the original so grand.
    I second that. Newer Antaeus was my big disappointment. Much lighter.
    Still it's quite of character if you don't know vintage. I'm not recommending the new (lots of interesting modern leathers around)
    Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Both versions are good but the original had more character. Still give Chanel props for not completely f'ng up in the reformulation.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

does anyone have a box of antaeus from 2010-2011...i bought a new one produced in 2012 and in the ingredients list are (in this order) :
    alcohol - water - fragrance - limonene - citronellol - linalool - eugenol - coumarin - hydroxycitronellal - hexylcinamal - citral - cinamyl alcohol - geraniol - benzyl benzoate - cinamal - farnesol - alpha isomethy ionone - benzyl alcohol

i saw a picture of a batch from 2010 and it had all the same ingredients, but in a different order???...does this mean it was again reformulated or?

best regards

Quick question: How far back do you have to go to get a bottle of "vintage" Antaeus?

it's really good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RC. View Post
    Quick question: How far back do you have to go to get a bottle of "vintage" Antaeus?
    The 80's? It was my dad's 80's early 90's scent. Huge, powerful, and strong.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Along with Armani Pour Homme, Antaeus seems incredibly difficult to find nowadays compared to other 80s designer scents that still seem plentiful in their original forms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RC. View Post
    Up to 2000/2001 possibly?

Andre would know for sure but I'm sure bottles produced in the 90s would still be fine.

When I visited Canada, all the Hudson Bay locations in Toronto stocked it.

Does anybody use the SEARCH FUNCTION??? There are several threads that will answer all your questions.

The current formulation is lighter and a bit more synthetic but for antaeus, light is still something solid and powerful.

long live antaeus!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2