Code of Conduct

Default Le Labo, are they any good outside of Rose 31?

I've never tried any of their fragrances since the opportunity has yet to come up, nor have I been willing to blind buy something that is $145 for 50mL (a little steep for a blind buy). Regardless, I never hear anyone mention their other frags outside of Rose 31/Baie Rose 26. Occasionally I hear someone mention Vanille 44 or Bergamote 22, but I never see much buzz about either fragrance.

So, what do you think Basenotes? Is this house worth checking out, or is it okay to pass them by? Would those who have never smelled their stuff be missing out?

Default Re: Le Labo, are they any good outside of Rose 31?

They are definitely worth checking out. Mediocre presentations but good frags.

Try Patchouli 24 and Oud 27.

I initially hated Patchouli 24 but absolutely love it now and am saving for a bottle.

Iris 39, Santal 33 and a couple from the City Exclusives (aka double priced) are the best of the line.

Of the few I've tried Santal 33 is my favorite. I own that and Rose 31. Would still like to sample Baie Rose though. I was not a fan of Oud 27, which is probably partly because I was told I smelled like "camel ass" and "porta potty " on separate occasions. If you're a fan of stuff like Leather Oud though check it out. Poivre 23 is great if you're willing to shell out the cash.
    Last edited by Jridgen; 4th January 2013 at 05:48 PM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

The house is definitely worth checking out. In addition to Rose 31 which I really love, Santal 33, Oud 27 and Poivre 23 are really great.

Santal 33 is my favorite aside from Rose 31.

Personally find them all pretty mediocre and unimpressive.

Absolutely worth checking out. In addition to the ones you mentioned I like Vetiver 46, Santal 33, Patchouli 24, Poivre 23, and Vanille 44 is currently my favorite vanilla scent. Don't pay full price, get them from the splits board.

Vanille is the only other that I ever see mentioned. Personally I'm not interested in Le Labo line of fragrances.

Santal 33 is to die for IMO
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Santal 33 and Oud 27 are very good woody fragrances, both full of character and depth. Iris 39 is quite good as well. Definitely check them out if you can.

Iris 39 -- green, clean, non-powdery iris
    Bergamote 22 -- musky and ambery citrus

From what I've smelled they're all good to a varying degree, but I wouldn't spend money on any of them save Rose 31 myself.

I am very fond of this perfume house.
    They've put out some of the most unique smelling perfumes from a composition perspective (Iris 39, Patchouli 24, Rose 31) while ascertaining that classics (Jasmine 17, Bergamote 22, Neroli 36) remain true to their heritage but with a miniscule flare added.

for swap/sale:

does santal 33 smell anything like original santal?

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    No, not at all, it's quite unique. IMO it would be more aptly named Cuir 33.

Another vote for Patchouli 24. I like Jasmin 17 too, but it's just in the Perfectly Nice category for me, and I'm not willing to spend Le Labo prices for Perfectly Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Some1 4sure will nail me on this, but when I tried Santal 33, it immediately conjured up images of my 1st love; Gap Original, which is yet another stellar leather scent now sadly discontinued
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    Its actually aptly named Santal because it smells like (new world) sandalwood (not Mysore) rather than leather.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Its actually aptly named Santal because it smells like (new world) sandalwood (not Mysore) rather than leather.
    I see. My sandalwood reference frags are, Tam Dao, Dark Aoud, and Egoiste, I don't smell any of that in Santall 33. I know Le Labo use Australian sandalwood in Santal 33, which would explain the discrepancy. Thanks for the education Hedonist!

I see. My sandalwood reference frags are, Tam Dao, Dark Aoud, and Egoiste, I don't smell any of that in Santall 33. I know Le Labo use Australian sandalwood in Santal 33, which would explain the discrepancy. Thanks for the education Hedonist!
    Thats because Tam Dao (although heavy on Cedarwood & other woods) and Egoiste primarily smell of Mysore sandalwood (same goes for Sandalo by Lorenzo & Santal Noble).

I find this new world sandalwood concoction to be a diet Mysore sandalwood. I say diet not variation of because thats how it feels. Like a cologne version of Mysore.

This does not apply to vetiver though because South American vetiver is clearly related to Indian Ocean vetiver from a top level from detail-wise, they are different enough to say they different.

for swap/sale: