Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Need advice: Sis wants Carnal Flower. Less expensive suggestions?

My sister wants Carnal Flower for Christmas, but because I am a grad student she probably isn't going to get it from me... I thought about something like Tocca Florence, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for that kind of jasmine-gardenia-tuberose type scent, but not quite as spendy. I don't really care for those flowers so I'm kind of at a loss. I know she also likes Alien and Bright Crystal, but that she LOVES/COVETS Carnal Flower. Help? I'm looking for Barney's quality on a Sephora budget, haha.

Default Re: Need advice: Sis wants Carnal Flower. Less expensive suggestions?

I am not very familiar with that particular scent, however, have you considered buying her a decant of it from one of the splitters?

Blog Entries

Well, I am signed up for 10ml in a split that's scheduled for January. I thought that could be a nice midwinter surprise for her. This is all my fault for giving her the little spray sample I had a while back. I've created a monster!

Blog Entries

ln my experience, there really is nothing else like Carnal Flower. Your sister has great taste! Could you maybe afford one of the little travel sets?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Everywhere I've looked, including Barney's, is out of the Carnal Flower travel sets.

Edit: It looks like they have them in at aedes.com so that could be an option.
    Re-edit: Except when you put it in your cart: out of stock!

Quote Originally Posted by blauriche View Post
    Everywhere I've looked, including Barney's, is out of the Carnal Flower travel sets.

Edit: It looks like they have them in at aedes.com so that could be an option.
    Re-edit: Except when you put it in your cart: out of stock!
    It might be worth calling one of the Barney's stores, I found that sometimes things that are OOS online may still be in stock in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    ln my experience, there really is nothing else like Carnal Flower.
    True!
    However, Fracas may be a close substitute. How about Truth or Dare? And there is Giorgio, the 1980s-bombshell.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mia von trost View Post
    True!
    However, Fracas may be a close substitute. How about Truth or Dare?
    These would be my suggestion as well and won't set you back like Carnal Flower.

try Kai, it shares the green quality with Carnal Flower

Tuberose Animale by Histoires de Parfums is an option, or even the trilogy which gives you three incarnations of tuberose for about $100
    TA scratches my Carnal Flower itch if I do say so myself.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I think you can find Fracas discounted. Its very very close to Carnal Flower.

Then theres also Michael Kors by Michael Kors edp.

for swap/sale:

Older Coty Sand and Sable, earlier than 1999, Really!

I think your sister will like Annick Goutal Un Matin d'Orage. It is tuberose and jasmine but mainly tuberose. The scent is similar to Carnal Flower, but lighter and less expensive. The retail is $128 but if you buy from beautyencounter.com or fragrancenet.com and use their coupons, you can get a 3.4 bottle between $60-70. A 3.4 oz Carnal Flower sells for $350.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    ln my experience, there really is nothing else like Carnal Flower. Your sister has great taste! Could you maybe afford one of the little travel sets?
    I have to agree with this. There's a hair mist and a body butter available too, although they are $160 and $210 respectively.
    If that's still too much, I'd go with a non-fragrance gift and encourage others to get Carnal Flower for her.

Also, there's someone who can decant CF here: http://www.scentsplits.com/2013/05/05/decants/
    Last edited by socalwoman; 14th December 2013 at 03:09 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Here is an idea, instead of buying her a bottle of something she doesn't really want:

Visit Barneys again and request a carded sample of Carnal Flower. Gift wrap it together with a check for however much you were planning to spend on her gift, with a note that says "This is to jump-start your Carnal Flower full bottle fund."

If she really loves it, she will start saving up for it. In the end, we who have expensive tastes have to be willing to save up for what we crave.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Here is an idea, instead of buying her a bottle of something she doesn't really want:

Visit Barneys again and request a carded sample of Carnal Flower. Gift wrap it together with a check for however much you were planning to spend on her gift, with a note that says "This is to jump-start your Carnal Flower full bottle fund."

If she really loves it, she will start saving up for it. In the end, we who have expensive tastes have to be willing to save up for what we crave.
    That sounds like a nice idea, or maybe just give her a gift card for Barney's or wherever she'd buy Carnal Flower, so effectively she'd have a great discount. Please don't go with a substitute, as close just doesn't cut it when you really want something. Plus, I don't think any other tuberose perfume is actually close.