Code of Conduct

Question New to Basenotes! Some help?

Hey guys, thanks for checking this thread out!

I've been creeping around here for quite some time now, but finally got around to making an actual account. I figured now would be a good time, because I want opinions on several random scents...any input would be greatly appreciated! For reference, I'm currently a 15 year old high school student. That said, I've been wearing colognes for about 2 years now, and have around 40 in my collection...so please, dont write a cologne off as "too mature", unless its a genuinely "old man" scent. Thanks in advance
    Versace-The Dreamer
    Joop! Jump as well as Nightflight
    Boss #6 (apple pie..?)

Thank you anyone and everyone!
    Last edited by stuigi; 8th January 2013 at 02:17 AM.

Default Re: New to Basenotes! Some help?

Hi there, welcome to the world of perfumistas and have fun just reading all the super info in here. There is a wardrobe facility in your profile which seasoned BNers use, so have fun filling it in. I don't think I have those particular ones, but fill in your preferred taste and we can see what sort of things suit you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    What does a scent need to do to get the "genuine old man scent" certificate?
    Be fusty I suppose. Civet and old wool?

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    What does a scent need to do to get the "genuine old man scent" certificate?
    Think barbershop style/super musky. Or, some of the 70's/80's powerhouses, like APH.

Also, as far as taste goes...I'll just give a basic rundown. I like sweet fragrances. Not Joop! Homme or Blue Sugar sweet, but something close to a MJ Legend or 1 Million is fine. I don't love florals, but if they have some substance to keep them masculine, its fine. Soapy and fresh scents all are good by me. I absolutely adore tobacco based frags...my favorite smell of all time remains to be Burberry London. Also, I get really sick of generic high school scents...I'm quite sick of citrus openings to a woody drydown.

Jil Sander Feeling Man
    CK Shock
    Chanel Egoiste (both versions)
    Chanel Allure
    Etro Vetiver
    Comme des Garçons 2MAN

Thanks, also, any comments on the frags I initially listed?

It might help people if you include some of the frags you already own (please don't include all 40 ). This way, the vets on this board will have a better idea of the type of scents you consistently seem to enjoy. Just a thought.

Welcome!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by WildandYoung View Post
    Think barbershop style/super musky. Or, some of the 70's/80's powerhouses, like APH.

Also, as far as taste goes...I'll just give a basic rundown. I like sweet fragrances. Not Joop! Homme or Blue Sugar sweet, but something close to a MJ Legend or 1 Million is fine. I don't love florals, but if they have some substance to keep them masculine, its fine. Soapy and fresh scents all are good by me. I absolutely adore tobacco based frags...my favorite smell of all time remains to be Burberry London. Also, I get really sick of generic high school scents...I'm quite sick of citrus openings to a woody drydown.
    Costume National Homme should do the trick as you love London...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Carbone de Balmain might work

[QUOTE=Teach13;2806239]It might help people if you include some of the frags you already own (please don't include all 40 ). This way, the vets on this board will have a better idea of the type of scents you consistently seem to enjoy. Just a thought.

To give an idea...
    Le Male, MJ Legend, Kenneth Cole Black, Perry Ellis 360 Red, Activist by the Body Shop, Bleu De Chanel, to name a few..

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Fahrenheit Absolute by YSL
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Caron Pour un Homme by Caron
    Kouros By YSL
    Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Egoiste
    Rochas Man- a bit sweet but very nice
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme
    Aramis 900
    Aramis JHL
    Cartier Declaration
    Cartier Roadster
    Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme
    Habit Rouge by Guerlain
    Heritage by Guerlain
    Vetiver Extreme By Guerlain
    Much like hearing a piece of music that can instantly take you back to a certain time and place, the faintest trace of a fragrance can evoke strong memories and powerful reactions from within.-Roja Dove

Renaissance_Man- Are you really suggesting Feeling Man? This is not only very rare, but when it does come up on Ebay it is very expensive. An unusual suggestion for a 15 year old to say the least.

Since you asked about Versace's Dreamer, I'll say that I absolutely love this one. But it's one you would really need to sample. You mention not liking florals too much, so I'm not sure if you would like Dreamer or not. Tobacco is a definite note in this one but not in the typical way. Dreamer isn't a pipe/cigar, or honeyed tobacco. It is instead a dry, floral tobacco blossom or tobacco flower note. It's more akin to the smell of fresh unsmoked cigarettes than any kind of pipe or cigar tobacco. This tobacco flower note is mixed with other fresh florals like Iris and also a slight herbal element and a lightly sweet base. It's really hard to describe, but my best description would be to imagine a combination of dry, sharp cigarette tobacco mixed with a clean laundry type scent. Anyway, if you sample it, give it some time. The first blast can be odd and off putting to some. Also, if you don't think you like it at first, keep trying it a few times. This is one of those acquired tastes type scents that really grows on you. As I say, it's certainly different, and can be very polarizing, but I certainly recommend sampling it. As far as similar scents; nothing is really that similar, but I would say Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme and Dior Homme share certain similarities and kind of the same vibe.

I also own Joop Nightflight. I don't wear it that often, but it's ok. To me, it smells like lemon and pineapple mixed with a laundry detergent type ozonic lavender note. It's very fresh, but maybe a bit dated. (Not in an old man, 80s powerhouse way, but more related to 90s fresh, clean scents like Cool Water, Eternity, Wings, etc).
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 8th January 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Versace-The Dreamer -> An acquired taste in my opinion. I personally did not like it. Ended up swapping it. It was too..."tabacoy" for me.
    Joop! Jump as well as Nightflight -> Haven't tried this
    Boss #6 (apple pie..?) -> I don't see where people are getting the apple pie scent from. This is one of my favorite scents. Very versatile, lasts long enough, and tons of people love it.

Overcome By Fumes

Of your suggestions, I like The Dreamer best. It has a distinct tobacco note but it is lighter or frothier than most tobacco fragrances without being watery. There is a little bit of sweetness but it is a dry sweetness, almost like a graham cracker. Give it a try if you can.